Moose hunting and logistics, gear, etc. it’s over whelming!

mooster

WKR
Pike's Waterfront Lodge is a neat place, and I've stayed there several times. I no longer do because the rooms are small and hvac units tend to be hit-or-miss. We now stay at Sophie Station Suites (near Safeway) because they have huge rooms, great kitchenettes, lounge, clean parking lot and usually main floor access. But we always eat at Pike's at least once for old times sake.
for others that may read the thread as they research for their own hunt planning, Kevin's spot on about Sophie's station. Pikes was sold out so we stayed at Sophie Station Suites. The room was large and less expensive than Pikes. We were able to walk to restaurants & grocery stores nearby. Their shuttle even dropped us off at our float plane for our fly out. Excellent recommendation.

trapperJ

Lil-Rokslider
Sophie is the best in Fairbanks for reason's stated. You basically get an apartment for less $ than Pikes. I stay there whenever I have to be in Fairbanks overnight, which is way to often..

The Best Western is also in the Sophie neighborhood and close to Fred Meyer for shopping.
Yup....and I've spent a month of nights there too. Good continental breakfast and friendly staff. Maybe the best part is the Sunrise stand right next door. Cafe Mocha!

I would personally opt for the added safety net of a synthetic bag over down in this scenario. I have ZERO experience in Alaska, so sorry if I am speaking out of turn. But I do know that it is notoriously wet there. Being as you are going on horseback, weight is of less concern than a backpack hunt. An extra pound for a quality synthetic bag over down seems well worth it to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GotDraw?

WKR
You have great advice here from everyone.

I will simply reinforce the fact that you MUST, MUST, MUST know exactly how you're getting your meat to the butcher, how long it will take the butcher, can they vacuum seal, can they flash freeze, can the butcher box/crate/insulate the frozen meat, can the butcher arrange shipping. If the butcher is not able to crate/box/insulate, then get references from them for someone that does it and get that fully locked down. If the butcher does not ship, how will the meat get to the shipping company? Can the shipper keep it frozen before shipping? Also know how your rack is getting to the taxidermist, cost for Euro, cost to cut the rack, cost to crate, cost to ship. Consider that it may not cost too much more to have the entire rack shipped un-cut. Check cost differential on that. Be certain that whoever crates your skull has it absolutely locked/strapped down securely so it won't come loose and get smashed in transit.

Get Names/addresses/phone #s, email from all the above service providers, also their operating days/hours and after hours phone numbers, cell #s. Program all this into your phone before you leave.

Get all of the above done and written into a PLAN with phone numbers BEFORE you head out. Get your shipping method, and costs for each step completely settled. Prepare to be stunned at the cost. Not surprised. STUNNED.

If you wait to do any single step of the above until you're there or have a moose on the ground, then you will be completely f'd with no one to blame but you, because you simply won't have time to deal with getting all the steps locked down. You may not be able to quickly reach the people you need to reach because they're busy or it's 10om at night, or they may not be able to reach you because of any number of reasons. You won't have time to shop for pricing, etc.

You got good advice to check with other guides. I agree with that. Build your check list from my first paragraph and pick their brains on how they get it done. If you're having problems building a list of service providers, try call the local hunting supply stores, they can be a wealth of knowledge.

I shipped my full rack (uncut) and salted cape in one LARGE plywood crate from the Yukon to Vancouver, picked it up there and drove it home. It was STUNNINGLY expensive for crating/shipping. Find a registered/known shipper to help you ship your meat. Check with the local butcher.

I would say Best of Luck, but this time I'll say-- Get Going on the Planning, because Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance.

JL

Chunky Dunk 71

Lil-Rokslider
A moose hunt is one of my absolute dream hunts, After reading all this, i may have to sell a kidney to finance that hunt!

TAGPUNCHER

Lil-Rokslider
Yea I'm trying to find a Aircraft hanger to wire up there! Go up and work and trade for flying...lol