Moose hunting tips

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
What elevation were you at? Did you do any calling? If you have any pics I’d like to see anything. Got real bad MOOSE BRAIN, can’t stop thinking about them big hairy critters
We were just below timberline. I was actually helping my buddy with his elk tag that evening when this bull walks out of the timber and into a high meadow about 600 yards away. I took off on a run to check him out and once I was out in the buck brush I had to raise my bow up anyway out of the brush.......so I held it above my head and tilted it back and forth while I made bull moose sounds as I closed the distance.

I didn't go right at him, I made a bee-line for a spot about 50-60 yards to his side so I'd have a broadside shot when I got to that spot. But I had his attention, because he started tilting his head from side to side showing me his rack and making some noise too. When I got to my destination spot he was 53 yards away. He took a step and turned just a bit so I had a quartering away shot.
Moose Phil.jpg

A big part of my prep is also going be spending a ton of time at the bow and rifle range. I'm planning to find a pack service to have in my back pocket if I would get something down a number of miles from the truck. I have a few people who have already said they want to get out with me but I'm envisioning I'll have to put in the time and miles mostly solo.

I know what you mean about Moose on the brain. I got the successful draw notification out of the blue a week ago and it has completely switched the focus of our summer plans. My next five months are getting upended to focus on moose. Love it.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I know what you mean about Moose on the brain. I got the successful draw notification out of the blue a week ago and it has completely switched the focus of our summer plans. My next five months are getting upended to focus on moose. Love it.
In 2020 I drew an archery Bighorn sheep tag first, which was a shocker. And then when I drew moose too I about fell over. But then I drew my favorite archery elk tag as well, and my best friend drew that unit's ML bull tag. Talk about a blessed curse. I struggled with all those blessings.

cnelk

WKR
Years ago, the CPW published the EXACT gps waypoints of moose harvests on their website from 1999 - 2017 [UTM/Lat-Long]

That data is no longer published on their website, but I have it if anyone is interested.

PM me if you want it.

OP
Packing Meat
In 2020 I drew an archery Bighorn sheep tag first, which was a shocker. And then when I drew moose too I about fell over. But then I drew my favorite archery elk tag as well, and my best friend drew that unit's ML bull tag. Talk about a blessed curse. I struggled with all those blessings.
I’m not sure if that makes you extremely lucky or unlucky. I’ve helped with a few sheep tags and those required a ton of time. How did it all turn out, you get what you were looking for?

OP
Packing Meat
Years ago, the CPW published the EXACT gps waypoints of moose harvests on their website from 1999 - 2017 [UTM/Lat-Long]

That data is no longer published on their website, but I have it if anyone is interested.

PM me if you want it.
I’d love to have those but it seems I’m not smart enough to send a PM😫. Anyway you can send me PM.

OP
Packing Meat
We were just below timberline. I was actually helping my buddy with his elk tag that evening when this bull walks out of the timber and into a high meadow about 600 yards away. I took off on a run to check him out and once I was out in the buck brush I had to raise my bow up anyway out of the brush.......so I held it above my head and tilted it back and forth while I made bull moose sounds as I closed the distance.

I didn't go right at him, I made a bee-line for a spot about 50-60 yards to his side so I'd have a broadside shot when I got to that spot. But I had his attention, because he started tilting his head from side to side showing me his rack and making some noise too. When I got to my destination spot he was 53 yards away. He took a step and turned just a bit so I had a quartering away shot.
View attachment 417599
Great bull and great story!!! Congrats. I’ve helped on plenty of archery elk but never got into stick and string. It’s definitely a whole different ball of wax. I’m planning on spending some time out with my muzzleloader but I’m not going to do my 9 day hunt until I can pull out the 300 so I can reach out there. Might be a bad choice, I’m just more comfortable with a scope

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Never shoot a moose in the water😁

I love shooting them in shallow creeks, gets things cooled off right away and I can just wash the blood/gut pile away. Last two seasons, my moose have both dropped in 10-12” water. Zero negative consequences but your experience might not be the same.

sveltri

WKR
I shot this bull at about 10,800', sixty yard shot with a ML. He was with three others, 2 bulls and a cow, and couldn't care less that I was there. I was looking for another bull that I had spooked earlier and just stumbled into them. The majority of moose I found last year were very close to roads, I didn't find any at all otherwise.

Attachments

• moose.jpg
    moose.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 55
I love shooting them in shallow creeks, gets things cooled off right away and I can just wash the blood/gut pile away. Last two seasons, my moose have both dropped in 10-12” water. Zero negative consequences but your experience might not be the same.
That wouldn’t be bad at all, I was thinking more along the lines of those boggy no bottom ponds.

OP
Packing Meat
I shot this bull at about 10,800', sixty yard shot with a ML. He was with three others, 2 bulls and a cow, and couldn't care less that I was there. I was looking for another bull that I had spooked earlier and just stumbled into them. The majority of moose I found last year were very close to roads, I didn't find any at all otherwise.
Nice bull!!! Congrats.

OP
Packing Meat
I really appreciate everyone sharing their hunts and knowledge. I few themes I’m picking up on common to most are:
Scouting didn’t really help
Elevation band seems to be 10k ish
No need to call

I’m still curious about how active moose are through out the day? 1 person said they harvest around noon another said evening. Also, should I only focus on the boggy bottoms? The hand full I’ve seen were not in the bottom. Thanks again everyone

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I’m still curious about how active moose are through out the day? 1 person said they harvest around noon another said evening. Also, should I only focus on the boggy bottoms? The hand full I’ve seen were not in the bottom. Thanks again everyone
After my moose hunt while I was helping a buddy with his elk hunt, one early morning I got a bull bugling. We were in the timber between 10k and 11k feet. My buddy worked towards the bull and I kept him bugling. While this was going on, I heard what I thought was a bull raking a little to our left and maybe 200 yards out. I figured it was the bull and my buddy should have been on top of him by then. I slowly worked my way towards the raking. And then heard the bull bugle back well above me. But I still heard this raking. I finally got within 50 yards and could see movement back behind some trees. As I eased in to get a better view, this bull moose steps out from behind the trees.

You'll find them in the timber, you'll find them above timberline in the wide open, you'll find them near timberline in the buck brush, you'll find them around ponds, and you'll find them in the creek bottoms next to roads. A good source for info during the season will be elk hunters. They'll freely give up any and all information on all the moose they've seen while hunting.

OP
Packing Meat
Here’s a couple bull moose in North Park - video taken during archery elk season

Amazing video!!!! Both of those bulls look big enough to make me happy. What would the spread be on the big one or even the small one?

PM me if you want it.
cnelk sent you a PM about these I also got lucky and drew this year and would love to take a look if you can share!

dtrkyman

WKR
Elk hunting CO. a while back we had three bull moose as camp mascots, was a drop camp 8ish miles in. Was really cool having them there. Wandered around camp all week, within 20 yards of the tent one night.

Near a decent creek with a valley connected to it full of beaver ponds, exactly where you would expect to find moose! I would guess around 9-10k in that valley.