Moose hunting unit 17a Alaska

Hey guys i have a few question
1. Will i need a head net ?
2. What are the best waders? am i going to need them?
3.Is 17 or 19 a good unit to hunt its a DYI ?

AKBorn

WKR
A head net is a good idea during moose season. Lots of guys like chest waders, albeit they aren't a ton of fun to walk distances in (although hip boots are no picnic either).

Please be sure to read the regs carefully. For quite a few years non-residents could not hunt in Unit 17 within 2 miles of the river banks, not sure if that regulation is still in place. You will not appreciate packing a moose for 2 miles in moose country, IF the reg is still in place.

I haven't hunted Unit 17 in many years, so will let others chime in on Unit 17 or 19. Why are you set on those 2 units?

OP
A
We have booked a DYI and thats where our drop in camp is located.Just trying to get as much info as possible that all. Thanks for answering some question.

Hughiam

FNG
I hunted 17 in 17 and am going back in September. We hunted the last 10 days of the season and it was very warm that year. We did use headnets quite a bit. I know when I was fishing, the bugs were pretty bad. I have some Caddis breathable waders that are very quiet. You have to wear boots with them, so walking wasn't bad. This year Im taking my wader/wader boot combo and my upland boots( I can't remember but I think theyre Merrils) We really only used the waders fishing and when offloading the plane. Oh and butchering the moose because it decided to die in the water.

Hessticles

Lil-Rokslider
I really liked my compass 360 guide 2 chest waders, alot cheaper than simms. And actually 6 ply when simms are 5. I did use the simms boots though

OldCrusty

FNG
Allan you will definitely want a light weight head net because of the white socks (nats) drawn to the kill. These little buggers will drive you crazy during the butchering job and will leave welts that itch for weeks after the hunt is over. And then there are 61 different types of mosquitos in Alaska to consider... :)
Moose love water and spend most of their lives around it, I bring my "chest waders" (breathable) on every moose hunt I go on.
Little tip for ya, wearing your rain gear and chest waders really helps keep the blood off your clothes and are much easier to clean up in the river or lake after the butchering job. Make sure to buy the best wader shoes you can for hiking.

Hope this helps
Old Crusty

I really liked my compass 360 guide 2 chest waders, alot cheaper than simms. And actually 6 ply when simms are 5. I did use the simms boots though
How are the compass 360 waders holding up 3 years later? Saw you said they were 6 ply. I am interested for moose hunt this year. Thanks!

Zane242

FNG
Hey guys i have a few question
1. Will i need a head net ?
2. What are the best waders? am i going to need them?
3.Is 17 or 19 a good unit to hunt its a DYI ?
Hey Allen is your hunt still a go? You hunting 17A or 17B? Lost our flight to Dillingham because of ravn air bankrupt and found another for more than twice the price. Im sure your in the same boat if your hunting 17. Good luck

Hessticles

Lil-Rokslider
How are the compass 360 waders holding up 3 years later? Saw you said they were 6 ply. I am interested for moose hunt this year. Thanks!
Well I've only worn them for that one moose hunt, but for the money and the hell I put them through I was happy with them! They are warmer than i thought. I ended up just wearing base layers under them!

J.Davis

FNG
Hey Allen is your hunt still a go? You hunting 17A or 17B? Lost our flight to Dillingham because of ravn air bankrupt and found another for more than twice the price. Im sure your in the same boat if your hunting 17. Good luck

Are you going in on Alaska Air or someone else? We ran into the same problem and found flights with Alaska air but there wasn’t much available.

For what it’s worth, I’m bringing a head net and breathable waders. Good excuse to get a pair of Simms.

HuntinMD

FNG
Are you going in on Alaska Air or someone else? We ran into the same problem and found flights with Alaska air but there wasn’t much available.

For what it’s worth, I’m bringing a head net and breathable waders. Good excuse to get a pair of Simms.

WMR

FNG
Take a head net. Take a backup head net. When you need one, and you will, you really need one. I hunted 17A and saw a few moose, The only legal bull was on Sept 4. Never saw him after that. Got some real weather. Saw brown bears every day. We left each other alone. A good adventure overall. I'll go back again. BTW, follow all the rules to the letter. You WILL be checked by law enforcement. This was not a problem for us and they were quite nice. I took some Cabela's stocking foot waders and boots. Figured I might need them if I dropped a bull in the water. It was my first trip to AK but will not be my last. Thanks again to all the helpful posters on this site. You made it much easier to plan.

HuntinMD

FNG
I used a head net and it worked well but really limited vision especially with optics. I also tried thin nylon like balaclava with sun glasses and very wide brimmed hat. Every time I took off hat they attacked. Something about they didn’t want to get into the dark under that wide brim. This worked a lot better with optics especially