Moose in 14C?

Hey All, Has anyone hunted moose in 14C? Considering booking a hunt for next year. Didn't find a lot of content online, hoping folks here have some knowledge of hunt quality and etc.

OP
chasingbuckz
Yes apologies, 14C AK. I am considering booking a horseback hunt in September. It's an expensive trip, but worth it IMO. I would love to hear some feedback and stories from hunters who have done this in the past, success, gear recommendations and etc. Thanks!

Outdoors1

FNG
Yes apologies, 14C AK. I am considering booking a horseback hunt in September. It's an expensive trip, but worth it IMO. I would love to hear some feedback and stories from hunters who have done this in the past, success, gear recommendations and etc. Thanks!
Check the unit 14C harvest statistics on the Alaska Fish and Game website. Go to Hunting, Game Animals, Harvest Statistics, Advanced Harvest statistics, then look at the general harvest stats (not drawing or registration) for unit 14C. You can find the % of successful hunters and antler width of every bull harvested in past years
You’re hunting in the backyard of the largest city in Alaska, so getting away from the crowd with be critical.

I have spent time hunting in 14c and haven't seen many "trophy" moose there. A good population but there aren't many monsters. Take it for what it's worth since I haven't hunted moose there only sheep and goat. Guessing ship creek?

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
14C has a solid moose density. But it also has a lot of air traffic in the skies. Those horseback hunters do pretty well. Taxidermists have said they get a lot of 50-54" bulls but not many really big boys. So I guess you'll have to think hard on what kind of experience you'll want to remember this hunt investment. Easy logistics compared to other places you'll consider.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
It's great you're planning to come up for a hunt, and you've gotten some good responses already. I'm not sure what you primarily seek in your Alaska moose hunting experience...we hunters can vary in the ultimate experience(s) we primarily seek.

Many/much of the areas in GMU-14C for moose hunting are designated drawing permit only hunts, not over the counter harvest tickets (HT). If you've not already done so, take a close look at the hunting regulations, and get a good feel for the designated HT hunting areas in 14C.

Once you've got a good feel for those designated HT hunting areas in 14C, stop and think about the possible/probable hunting pressure from other hunters with HT's (those are free to Alaskans) and the presence of other outdoor recreation folks. As stated earlier, 14C is the backyard for the biggest city in Alaska (pushing 300k). Ask your horse-back hunting resource where you will be accessing 14C, if you will see other people on your ride into/out of the hunting destination, and will you see other people while you are hunting. I can only speculate, but don't know the answers to those questions by your resource.

I think it's great you're asking questions...figure out if moose hunting in 14C matches the experience(s) you seek...it might and that's just fine! As a personal choice disclaimer, I do not moose hunt in 14C because it does not match the experience that I seek.

Last edited: