Moose Mount Display

roymunson

WKR
Seeing all you guys packing up and getting your gear together has me excited. Gonna be next fall til I can go, but I'll watch you guys until then.

This is not a yearly hunt for me, so if I get a big moose, I'm planning on displaying it. Have a high ceiling/fireplace wall I could do a mount on, but am afraid something that huge will be tacky. (currently have 5-6 mounts on the wall) When I see the TV whitetail hunters with 25 shoulder mounts, i don't like that look.

I have a workshop/shop that I would probably hang it in if not in the house.

I like the look of european mounts, but don't wanna go on a hunt like this and not do the hard work justice by not bringing the cape home. I think I'd be just as happy with a slick euro mount, but would like to see what you guys have done.

Plus, it'd help give me my fix a little bit until I can go next year.

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
I've only ever done European mounts, they are just too damn big and take up too much wall space. Here's a pic of a bull I took in 2016, 60"er.

Attachments

• Moose rack1.jpg
    Moose rack1.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 368
  • Moose rack.jpg
    Moose rack.jpg
    399.2 KB · Views: 365
Fan of euros, very inexspensive. Pack your cape out and sell it. If you ever decide to shoulder mount you should be able to find a cape.

View attachment 438928

Exactly where does one find a cape. A few Internet searches have turned up nothing for me. Also posted on taxidermy.net a year or so ago.

In plan to shoulder mount mine if successful and would prefer using his own cape, but might consider not messing with it if I knew I could source a good clean one. SW Alaska hunt.

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
Packing out the cape is a good way to earn back some of that money spent on the hunt, they can go for quite a bit of money if fleshed and cured correctly.

Nooksack

FNG
It was a kill, that was carved.

Taxi.net used to have a few in the fall, maybe talk to a few taxis in Ak, or post an ad on forums such as this one leading up to the season. I bet there are a handful of guys on the forum that might bring one back for the right price.

It was a kill, that was carved.

Taxi.net used to have a few in the fall, maybe talk to a few taxis in Ak, or post an ad on forums such as this one leading up to the season. I bet there are a handful of guys on the forum that might bring one back for the right price.
Yeah…. Starting ahead of time makes most sense. Again, I’d like to salvage mine and intended to try. If exhausted, or if i find a way to mess it up too badly, I’ll see what’s available this year and then i guess implement your suggestion next year. Obviously don’t want to commit to paying somebody and not need it because I was not suckcesaful or made mine work.