Moose mount

Will_m

WKR
Posted this in another thread, but thought it may get more attention here --

Anybody have ideas on how to lift a shoulder mount moose on the wall alone? I'm think an HVAC lift but can't find one for rent locally.

Anybody else ever done this alone?

Posted this in another thread, but thought it may get more attention here --

Anybody have ideas on how to lift a shoulder mount moose on the wall alone? I'm think an HVAC lift but can't find one for rent locally.

Anybody else ever done this alone?

I don't know your age, strength level, balance, etc. or how high up you need to mount it, but if it was me I would consider just quickly building a platform with 2x4s and plywood, lay the mount on the platform, climb onto the platform with a ladder, and then mount it on the wall.

Wapiti1

WKR
Buy beer, smoke a pork shoulder and use them to lure some friends to your house.

If you do try this yourself, please video the event and post it.

Drywall lift. Eyebolt into a rafter and use a locking hoist (I've done this for heavy speakers in a church).

Mount it near the floor and tell people it is a laying down pose.

Jeremy

mobilefamily

Lil-Rokslider
I hate asking/paying for help but I’ve gotten more rational with age and experience...of not asking for help and taking twice as long to do something at twice the cost...because I screwed it up the first time.

I hired a handyman to help me mount my euro moose. Lag bolt into the stud, a couple of ladders, and steady as she goes. Money well spent.

OP
W

Will_m

WKR
Buy beer, smoke a pork shoulder and use them to lure some friends to your house.

If you do try this yourself, please video the event and post it.

Drywall lift. Eyebolt into a rafter and use a locking hoist (I've done this for heavy speakers in a church).

Mount it near the floor and tell people it is a laying down pose.

Jeremy

I particularly like the last option

Definitely get some help! I rented scaffolding and my wife and father-in-law helped, father-in-law and me on the scaffolding, and my wife supporting the nose from a 12’ ladder. Obviously the higher up you go, the more difficult it’s going to be to hang it, but definitely get some help. We went about 15’ up with ours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

keller

WKR
Get some help not worth hurting yourself or ruining your mount. I don't like asking for help either but sometimes you just gotta put your pride to the side!!

Hughiam

FNG
When I moved into my new place, it had cathedral ceilings and I have about 25 shoulder mounts to hang. Ive also had 4 back surgeries and 1 neck surgery. My brother and I rented scaffolding. We had enough for two levels, one about 5 feet high and the other 10 like a giant set of stairs. We put the big mounts on the 5 foot level, then hopped up. Then lifted them to the 10 foot level, then hopped up. That way we were only holding the mounts up a few inches to a foot. Time consuming yes, but no back trauma.

When I moved into my new place, it had cathedral ceilings and I have about 25 shoulder mounts to hang. Ive also had 4 back surgeries and 1 neck surgery. My brother and I rented scaffolding. We had enough for two levels, one about 5 feet high and the other 10 like a giant set of stairs. We put the big mounts on the 5 foot level, then hopped up. Then lifted them to the 10 foot level, then hopped up. That way we were only holding the mounts up a few inches to a foot. Time consuming yes, but no back trauma.
I think you owe the forum pictures of end result!

Raypo

Lil-Rokslider
I just recently hung some rather large critters, fairly high on the wall. My upstairs sits ground level and is the main floor, point being the floor is a subfloor. Heavy lifts seemed a little scary. My solution cost nothing and only took a few minutes. I used an 8ft 1x1 and on the top I used a sheet of 1/4 plywood with a big arch (1/2) circle cut. I then reinforced a bit with creating an identical peace on the back side and framed it with 1x1. I then wrapped it with padding. The idea was for 2 people to stand on the floor, stabilizing and supporting the animals as 2 people on scaffolding hung the animals. Very simple and was VERY easy.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
For anyone who hasn't gotten their moose mounted yet and is reading this thread, consider getting it mounted with detachable antlers. Not only will it be a heck of alot easier to hang, but it enables you to get it through any doorway as well. And if you ever move will also make that process easier as well.

I had Zimmerman Wildlife do this for my mountain caribou mount, and I couldn't be happier with it. Only a couple hundred dollars extra, and the construction is very robust. I measured in a few spots before I left base camp, and it was an exact match when I got the mount back and on the wall.