Moose or Elk sign ?

Gerbdog

WKR
Hey Everyone,

First post here, been lurking for a while though. I’ll write up an introduction post soon I hope, long story short I’ve been in Colorado for about 4 years now and haven’t managed to pull my bow back on an Elk yet. Last year was my first archery kill on a mule deer (awesome experience). I have a fear of wasting my time hunting moose instead of elk. My first year in Colorado I was out near Granby and thought I was into elk sign but just kept running across moose of all sizes. I put two and two together eventually and realized I was hunting moose when I was hoping to hunt elk.

I have been scouting an area this year that has what I thought was elk sign… lots of smaller pine trees rubbed/torn in half, multiple ages of rubs from a couple of years back to last year, lots of scat, water, feed, potential bedding areas, etc. This sign is all located in a small valley (9500 ft elevation in the valley) with a north-facing canyon wall and a south-facing canyon wall, a clearing in the bottom of the valley where grass grows and a small creek that flows through it, creating some small ponds in some locations with rancid mud bottoms and then a swampy area around it with tall grass and willows growing. Yesterday I decided to make the long hike up to treeline looking for signs on the way up and see if I could locate where the elk may go when pressured and any potential bedding areas. I was discouraged to find the sign all disappeared as I moved up the mountain to the treeline (~12000 ft). Worst of all, I couldn’t locate any bedding areas in the thick timber on the north slope and the closest I found to a bedding area was just off the valley floor on the north slope just inside the thick timber, near the willows and water. I have attached some photos of the rubs and scat in the area. I considered tasting the scat as recommended on the forums here but I figured my palette wasn’t sophisticated enough to determine the animal yet … maybe someday 😉. Am I spinning my wheels on moose here? There aren’t supposed to be many moose in this area at all but… I can confirm I’ve seen moose in just about every corner of Colorado west of the front range… Now I question whether I’m onto old moose sign or old elk sign. Came here to see what the veterans thought.

Thanks,
Gerb
rub 1.JPGrub 2.JPGrub older.JPGscat 1.JPGscat 2.JPGscat 3.JPG

are thumbnails too small? i guess i could post the full images but... who really wants to see close-ups of cr$p.

WesternHunter

Lil-Rokslider
To me, the scat you're holding in the picture, and the one on the snow patch look like moose. The rubs could be either, and the other scat looks a bit smaller. Learn the difference in their tracks and come September visit some heavily used wallows and learn an elks smell. It's very distinct.
I've never heard a moose bugle either ;) As they say, the elk are where you find them. Just because they were there 2 days prior does not mean they're coming back anytime soon. Elk move all over, especially during season when they're getting bumped.

I'm no expert but that looks like de moose poop to me!! The habitat sounds like moose to me as well. Creek bottoms, with little ponds w/ all the sign very concentrated in the bottoms.

OP
Gerbdog

Gerbdog

WKR
Thanks greenheadkilla, that was my suspicion also, glad to have it confirmed by someone more experienced, ill check that off the list and add it to the "probably not worth wasting precious hunting hours on" pile.

OP
Gerbdog

Gerbdog

WKR
Also Thanks Western, thats what i keep hearing as well but then I keep hearing the elk in colorado OTC units are going quiet to bugles. The elk slayer in the family also doesn't call often/ever and believes in the slow-motion stroll through the deep timber being dead quiet (with success).

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Likely moose rubs no way to know here is some elk poop next to elk sheds for comparison1F18E3B1-DCEC-4B61-9EF4-835213D67028.jpeg

Laramie

WKR
I run into moose frequently while elk hunting. They do occupy similar ranges at the same times. Next time you find a rub, look at the hair on the rub. Elk tend to leave plenty to find and you can usually tell the difference between them. One word of advice though, hunting old sign shouldn't be your priority. As others have said, elk move a lot.

OP
Gerbdog

Gerbdog

WKR
Hey Ross,
Ill be honest i cant tell the difference between that photo and what I saw, is there some kind of dead giveaway? the close up I'm holding is definitely the "roundest acorn shaped" piece of scat in the pile, most of it was just... oval... dark... woody cr$p like your photo. I guess my tip off was the environment the scat was in, just a lot of second guessing over the last 16 hours on whether I know what the heck the difference between moose and elk sign is. Conclusion is: I don't, but the bedding right next to the stream near the willows seems likely to be a moose spot. Not the end of the world and it was a spot within 1.5 hour drive of home that I was gonna use as an after-work hangout during September. Also: I forgot this rub (maybe a rub?) on the willows... do elk rub willows or is this the giveaway to an moose lair?
moose rub.JPG

OP
Gerbdog

Gerbdog

WKR
Hey Laramie, i agree, especially after researching and following the forums that the elk killers here don't wast any time on old sign, and I definitely don't plan to in September but... since I live in Colorado I figured pre-season scouting cant hurt, even if I ran into a herd now they could be anywhere tomorrow much less September... is there anything worth watching for while scouting pre-season? Surely its not a waste of time (at least I'm getting exercise for the upcoming season if nothing else)

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have to say when I first looked at that poop thought big bull elk as when shed hunting we are always looking for larger rounder to help identify a possible bull. Only for sure would be tracks or visual. Elk can and will rub at any time or when the urge strikes them. Moose love willows and often a good place to find their sheds. My gut without further info says moose most likely. As to location come September some elk herds never leave their home domain all year this will be driven by the hunting area. Case in point pic of this bull and his sheds found each year as crow flies 600 yds away...thus the mystery and fun of elk nothing is a given 100%🤩09A2A80E-4E2E-46C2-A85B-B080AA047272.jpeg141125D7-4258-4F11-8405-23B16B71B342.jpeg

Last edited:

Ucsdryder

WKR
Moose scat is usually very “fiberous” and brown. Usually larger than elk. They remind me off those little chocolate Easter eggs that are covered in foil.

I've seen moose and elk feeding side by side, their territories definitely overlap....but moose beds will generally be just outside the treeline, in a willow patch or meadow...

OP
Gerbdog

Gerbdog

WKR
Heck of a bull in that pic Ross, if something like that is living just on the otherside of the hill from me... well that would be cool.... maybe ill hike back in there sometime in September and bugle / call a bit and see if anything shows up, after all, its an after work location. Not sure i'd use a weekend on the location at this point since the vote here seems to be on a moose (still a cool animal, and I'm learning)

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
We have several years history with him on sheds and only that one cam pic with 8 cams in a small area....he is super Wiley and number one on my list this year 👍659B20B8-4E5F-4C6C-A1F8-B95907F56269.jpeg509CCC7B-6F65-43E2-B284-64C579778A1D.jpeg

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
The track is square versus elongated and not obnoxiously large looks like that could be elk. Would set up a cam and see what you get.

OP
Gerbdog

Gerbdog

WKR
guess its worth mentioning also... lots and lots of aspen chews in the area... my understanding is the elk chew the aspen in the winter ... do moose chew the aspen all year? Guess I'm just brimming with questions, sorry for the assault for information

OP
Gerbdog

Gerbdog

WKR
Hey Ross,
Interesting that's an elk looking track... it is at least 1.5 miles away.... so could be completely different animals doing completely different things.. Guess ill need to invest in some cams and set them up. That elk track was near a super creepy makeshift grave with a picture of a small girl on it... i called it the ghost elk. Also still debating whether I should report that grave thing to someone.... yea weird.

guess its worth mentioning also... lots and lots of aspen chews in the area... my understanding is the elk chew the aspen in the winter ... do moose chew the aspen all year? Guess I'm just brimming with questions, sorry for the assault for information
Yeah moosies will chew the crap out of some aspen bark, it's a staple food for them....

WesternHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Also Thanks Western, thats what i keep hearing as well but then I keep hearing the elk in colorado OTC units are going quiet to bugles. The elk slayer in the family also doesn't call often/ever and believes in the slow-motion stroll through the deep timber being dead quiet (with success).
They'll still talk but it often won't be in daylight hours. Locating at night is one of my favorite ways to locate and move in on elk before the sun ever comes up. Then when you know you're close and you're seeing and smelling sign you should be in the money.