Moose or Elk sign ?

OP
Gerbdog

Gerbdog

WKR
That track is either an elk or a Moo cow! Any in the area?
No, no moo cows in the area, haven't seen any of their piles or tracks or... well them themselves in that area at all, may be a completely different animal then I found down in the valley though, like I said, that track was 1.5 miles away and just happened to be after a rain on that gravely soil, the valley bottom has animal tracks but its so grass covered no prints are being left. Could be a moose in that valley and then an elk a couple ridges over coming down into another grazing area where that print was. Lots of questions and no good answers til I lay eyes on the beasties, if I ever do, guess ill need to invest in some cameras as suggested above

Laramie

WKR
Hey Laramie, i agree, especially after researching and following the forums that the elk killers here don't wast any time on old sign, and I definitely don't plan to in September but... since I live in Colorado I figured pre-season scouting cant hurt, even if I ran into a herd now they could be anywhere tomorrow much less September... is there anything worth watching for while scouting pre-season? Surely its not a waste of time (at least I'm getting exercise for the upcoming season if nothing else)
I prefer to find actual elk if I am scouting for early archery. I gain elevation and find good vantage points so I can glass long range. I also use trail cameras on water holes. I stay as low impact as possible. I typically don't start looking until late July or early August. I'm not looking for bulls but rather finding the herds of cows. Depending on how the summer moisture levels fluctuate, many times cows will still be in the same general region come September. In September, when you find cows you will find bulls.

OP
Gerbdog

Gerbdog

WKR
I prefer to find actual elk if I am scouting for early archery. I gain elevation and find good vantage points so I can glass long range. I also use trail cameras on water holes. I stay as low impact as possible. I typically don't start looking until late July or early August. I'm not looking for bulls but rather finding the herds of cows. Depending on how the summer moisture levels fluctuate, many times cows will still be in the same general region come September. In September, when you find cows you will find bulls.
Thanks! ill have to start doing that here in a couple months then, great advice