Moose outfitters - anyone know Cole & Kirk Ellis or Stan Stevens

hartigjosh

Lil-Rokslider
My stepdad and I are going to try and knock a moose hunt off the bucket list. We are both in the lower 48 and for moose know that we need to hire an outfitter. Has anyone heard of Cole and Kirk Ellis out of the Wrangell Mountain area in Alaska? Recommend? How about Stan Stevens in the NWT, McKenzie Mts?

Any info much appreciated.

Last edited:
Just look at any of the reputable hunting magazines. I know for a fact Stan Stevens advertises in the SCI publication, which means they are in good standing. Do you have the ability to go to SCI or DSC next month? It would be a great opportunity to do all of your searching in person with these guys.

OP
hartigjosh

hartigjosh

Lil-Rokslider
Through my searches I am now figuring out Stevens is McKenzie Mountain Outfitters which is really well known. Sorry for not putting together the pieces sooner. The guy who referenced them didnt make it sound like they were as big and well known as they are.
I just had my second child on Tuesday so my travel is limited, not going to pull the SCI or DSC unless they have a good lawyer present to help with the divorce papers my wife will serve me upon return.

SLA

FNG
Congrats on the new baby! Great reply on the lawyer lol
You won’t go wrong with MMO, Stans been at it for over 40 years. I have been there twice, taken Dall Sheep, moose, and caribou.

OP
hartigjosh

hartigjosh

Lil-Rokslider
I dont have the bug for dall or caribou yet... Am I doing myself a disservice by making a big trip like this and not going for more than one species?

OP
hartigjosh

hartigjosh

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't asked anyone on pricing yet. I guess i just expect this to be so expensive that I know I almost dont want to think about it!

mobilefamily

Lil-Rokslider
I dont have the bug for dall or caribou yet... Am I doing myself a disservice by making a big trip like this and not going for more than one species?

Absolutely not, in my experience. Do one at a time and enjoy it. Don't put yourself in a situation where you're rushing to kill one thing so you can go chase another. I'm not opposed to having multiple tags in my pocket, but I go to hunt one animal.

Trial153

WKR
combo hunts with a trophy fee for the second animal is usually the cheapest way. You gamble on the cost of the extra tag and iif you tag out early your golden. If not your out the tag cost no big deal. There have been a lot times I have arrowed an animal early in a hunt and wished I had the option a different tag to hunt on for the remainder of the time. Now paying upfront for combo hunt is different set of considerations. Very animal and area specific. There are some animals and places I wouldnt think twice about and others....no way. Every Bowhunt I go on I know that there is fair chance I come home empty, it its was it is. However coming home empt from a paid upfront combo hunt is hard hunt to come back light from.