Moose Tag strategy

laltaffer

Lil-Rokslider
Hello everyone. I've been collecting as much on this as I can but wondering what this group thinks.

I'm 38, soon to be 39, and I'd like to start planning an archery moose hunt. I've read Alaska has OTC tags though logistically I'd like to stay in the lower 48 if possible. What I'm a little unclear on is which states its effectively impossible for me to draw a tag given I likely don't have massive points built up. To be clear, I do not have a ton of points in any of the Moose states.

I figure I have a few years to start building points and I can also save money to go a more guaranteed but more expensive route. I'm by no measure rolling in cash but have a good job where I can safely save over X many years to build to something.

Also I haven't found great information about going to Canada. I currently live in Virginia so nothing is close.

Just looking for people's thoughts an opinions on where I should start applying/building points. Or should I simply say its either Alaska OTC or lower 48 with a high price tag?

Oh and I'd love to get a quality bull but its really about the adventure, and I don't have any real measurement I need to hit. Honestly haven't even looked into what a trophy moose measures. For me if one comes up and it gets me going, which I'm sure most any would, then I'm planning on shooting.

Thanks in advance.

Scottf270

WKR
You can play the tag game in the lower 48 for a shiras, or book a drop hunt in Alaska and actually hunt bigger moose for a lower price right now. Times a wasting.

W1bowo

Lil-Rokslider
You can play the tag game in the lower 48 for a shiras, or book a drop hunt in Alaska and actually hunt bigger moose for a lower price right now. Times a wasting.
+1
g.png

Fisherhahn

Lil-Rokslider
Newfoundland is not that far. Not as big as AK moose but plenty big enough for me.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Alaska/Canada is about your only realistic option barring a winning the lottery level stroke of luck. Might could get a cow tag in lower 48 in 5 years or so.

Trial153

WKR
Your late to the party for lower 48 moose.

** Maine has terrible NR odds and horrible draw system, at this point you no better off if you got in on the ground floor vs tomorrow. Saving grace is it cheap.
**New Hampshire has about no nonresident tags at this point. My best odds were about 1 in 40, six or seven years ago. Same tag is now about 1 in 500 since they lowered quotas.
* Vermont ...forget it.

Colorado you will need to put in for three years before your able to even apply for a draw. Then long to very long odds. Your looking at licence fees and points fees for three year just to get your foot in the door.

WY, 150 point fre, 2.5% credit card fee then you front the hefty tag cost till you dont draw...terrible odds.

Montana, Utah...horrible odds as well.

Idaho is your best chance however your going to pay for it, 200 plus in non refundable costs and dealing with a NR tag cap. Still its your best odds at lower 48 tag..

The short of it you can spend about 1k plus a year for the next 20 years and be no closer to a lower 48 moose tag unless you sit on a horse shoe.

Ya just select the subspecies of moose ya wanna hunt and then hire a Canadian outfitter. They provide your tag in the guide fee. If bow hunting, expect very long days in the field...6am to 9:40pm were legal shooting hours during my hunt. Had a great time. My guide had the eyes of an eagle and the legs of a giraffe. We stomped some swamps boy!

IMG_2185.JPG

It's buggy, wear a Sitka Core zip tee with built-in mask. Leave no skin exposed.

MOOSEMAN2.jpg

You'll see a lot of animals and sign.

IMG_2186.JPG

IMG_2169_1503925213014.JPG

Hopefully your luck holds out.

MOOSE2.jpg

Alaska moose are huge! I once read they are the biggest bodied moose on the earth (Yukon ones). As a NR you will be shooting 50” or larger or a brow tine restricted which means any legal bull for you will be a trophy. Just realize you are responsible for packing the whole moose out. Antlers last. And they are huge. My spike/fork i shot a couple years ago yielded 400 plus pounds of meat. That was packaged weight too.

bowhuntrben

Lil-Rokslider

** Maine has terrible NR odds and horrible draw system, at this point you no better off if you got in on the ground floor vs tomorrow. Saving grace is it cheap.
**New Hampshire has about no nonresident tags at this point. My best odds were about 1 in 40, six or seven years ago. Same tag is now about 1 in 500 since they lowered quotas.
* Vermont ...forget it.

Colorado you will need to put in for three years before your able to even apply for a draw. Then long to very long odds. Your looking at licence fees and points fees for three year just to get your foot in the door.

WY, 150 point fre, 2.5% credit card fee then you front the hefty tag cost till you dont draw...terrible odds.

Idaho is your best chance however your going to pay for it, 200 plus in non refundable costs and dealing with a NR tag cap. Still its your best odds at lower 48 tag..

The short of it you can spend about 1k plus a year for the next 20 years and be no closer to a lower 48 moose tag unless you sit on a horse shoe.

this

targetpanic

Lil-Rokslider

* Vermont ...forget it.

Your New England assessment is spot on! I drew NH in 2014 and Maine in 2019. I will likely not draw either one again in my lifetime

teamr2

FNG
Keep your eyes peeled for left over governors tags from the conventions this winter. One of my buddies scored one for Shiras in Utah. Don’t know what it went for at the auction but the bidder couldn’t pay and my friend got it for $7500.

GreenNDark Timber

Lil-Rokslider
As has already been stated, Idaho does give you the best draw odds. My brother drew moose there a couple years ago on his very first attempt (I know, there's always one of those guys). I think if you study the draw statistics and don't pick the most sought after units you stand a very good chance of drawing there within 10 yrs. But....their tag cost is $2,102 plus $220 per year for license fee and online convenience fee. Figure that cost over 10 years and you've dropped another $2,200 so now you're at $4,302 for your moose hunt and that's assuming there are no price increases in the next 10 years. That amount of money will go a very long way towards paying for a DIY hunt in Alaska and you know you're going to get to hunt moose. That's the route I decided to go.

Ralphie

WKR
I just drew a resident wy tag with 13 points.

If I were you I'd be saving up for a hunt in alaska or canada and forget about the point game in the lower 48.

kscowboy01

Lil-Rokslider
Newfoundland is drivable for you. All things considered, it's an inexpensive hunt. If you draw a Shiras in the lower 48, you may ultimately hire an outfitter and you are right where you'd be with a tag to hunt in Newfoundland immediately. There are also affordable moose hunts just across the border in Canada in BC and Alberta.