Moose with elk antlers

Trr15

WKR
Thats wild looking! I've seen lots of moose, but never one that looked like that.

ahlgringo

WKR
Cheyenne Mountain Zoo has one that looks similar in some if his previous sheds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BAKPAKR

WKR
I saw an unpalmated 3x3 in Wyoming this fall but I don’t think it is unusual for smaller bulls (less than 30 inch spread) to lack palmation. I have seen quite a few Shiras bulls; however, I have never seen one as large as the one in your photos without palmation. I think that is a pretty unique animal and had he crossed my path this fall, I would have been tempted to put my tag on him.

Don't fall for their trap or confusion. That right there is a cow moose "associating or identifying" as a bull elk. They would have you believe that this is perfectly normal behavior and that we are now required to identify them as a bull elk as well.

Pretty freaking sick of of the wildlife in this country and there liberal entitlement attitude. I don’t care what they call themselves and what they do when no one is around. I don’t cRe how that animal identifies- if my tag says any bull moose that joker is done.

I think it's more like the moose equivalent of skinny jeans... give him a break he's just trying to be hip...we've all made questionable fashion choices...lol

There is a rack in a forest visitor center near Walden that looks a lot like that. I think it's pretty cool. I also have a set of shed antlers from a young bull with similar characteristics. They're about 16" long with a semi-palmated fork at the end, much different than any of my other moose sheds.

OP
M
I haven't hunted that area since the first week of archery in 2017. I wonder if he's still around? I did have a couple muzzleloader hunters ask if I had seen him. They were out scouting and had heard about the moose with elk antlers. When they were scouting and stopped to ask, they were literally only half a mile from the moose.
Maybe I'll take my bike for a ride and set up a trail cam in July to see if he's still around.

I was waiting at the downwind end of a little pocket meadow in 2017 watching for elk to enter on the trail at the other end. When I saw the largest, heaviest set of 4X4 elk antlers I could imagine I thought the evening may end up in my favor. The beast stood back in the trees enough that I could only see the antlers. I studied them for almost five minutes and imagined an old bull past his prime - long thick beams, extra space between brows and seconds, decent thirds. Just a 4X4 but certainly not a raghorn! When the rack started to move toward the opening I put a little tension on my bowstring and double checked that I was clear to shoot if the opportunity came. Wow, was I confused when a bull moose walked out carrying those antlers. It was a first for me and pretty darn cool.