Moral Dilema

I found that when it comes to moral issues that if I have to ask others for advice then I already know the answer but just don’t like the answer.

Personally I would save up or prepare for a MT unlimited tag. Either way will take some time to do correctly. As encouragement, my father went on his first sheep hunt at 51 and the last one he was 74. I was fortunate enough to go at 46 after several years of saving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think so! You will end up spending 60k repaying that line of credit once you figure in the interest. I think you would really regret it when you cant retire because you are still paying off your house. Unfortunately sheep hunting is a rich man's hobby. You need to have deep pockets to shell out 30k for a hunt and not have any other places the money would be better spent. Thankfully a few of us common folk could get lucky and draw a tag somewhere. We can at least look forward to that.

204guy

WKR
No way. My AK sheep hunt was amazing, but not that amazing. There are other high mountain hunts that can approach it(mtn goat, mule deer, etc) for far less $. Also you budget of $30K is pretty high. If you could manage to get $15K in the bank you would be set to jump on a cancellation hunt in AK or possibly Canada.

Haha no way man. I'm 37 and wouldn't even consider this, I pay cash for everything except my house. If I cant afford it I dont buy it.
Are you really focused on a sheep that much?
Or is it a grand adventure your after?
There alot of grand adventure out there for way less $$$$$$$

Have to agree with most others here. I don't think pulling a equity line is the right thing to do. I so want to go on a sheep hunt in the NWT but the reality is it will probably never happen at least with kids in the house. But I have started a sheep fund and as long as the market keeps going up maybe I will just maybe achieve my dream hunt some day.

Not a chance. A sheep hunt would be good, a paid off house would be much better.

Good point. We refinanced our house years ago to a 15 yr mortgage that allowed us to pay it off about 5 years ago. It may not be fashionable in today’s age of constantly upsizing but sure makes life more comfortable. A lot easier to save for a hunt without a mortgage hanging over your head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kscowboy01

Lil-Rokslider
Remember 2007-2008? I work in commodities and a good friend is 30+ years older than me and gave me some of the best advice I've ever heard. His advice to me, "When things are good, pay your s**t off! You don't need a nicer car, you don't need a bigger house, and if you have some extra money in the coffer when all is said and done, take a nice trip. There is nothing better than going into a bear market with no debt."

It's sage advice. That being said, are you able to get a side job and make an extra $4,000/year? If this is really that important to you, maybe this is a way to achieve this goal. There are better ways for you to get there than your equity idea.

OP
ericthered

ericthered

Lil-Rokslider
What the heck!? Is everyone on here a republican. Jefferson would have mortgaged everything for another sheep hunt...well, may be not a sheep hunt, but he would have mortgaged everything to do something he wanted to do. You know, their ain't no U haul to the afterlife.

Brendan

WKR
HELL NO.

Plenty of good hunts without writing a check for a sheep where you can have the same terrain and adventure.

Outhunting

Lil-Rokslider
Yes. Probably not the smartest financial move but the way prices are going up $2000.00 or more a year on guided sheep hunts you may not be able to even consider it a few years down the line. I looked at Stone Sheep hunts at the Reno show and 3 years ago the outfitter I went moose hunting with was priced at $39,500 this year he is at $49,500 and one of my rich buddies bought one for him and his son.
All these rich guys are ruining it for us and will keep driving up the price. I personally have never seen a sheep hunt price go down from year to year and only see a break when there is a buddy deal or cancelation hunt. If you want one it might be best to go and take your licks now.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Nope.

You could however up and relocate to Alaska, become a resident and hunt sheep every year. That’s what I did ~7 years ago. Best decision ever.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
For me I found the hard truth was that if I wanted to go on expensive hunts I was going to have to budget and work more.

I put ever bonus, worked part time side gigs and odd jobs for a few years but managed to squirrel away the $$$ for a stone hunt. Once in a life time thing....can’t just keep my nose to the grindstone and put everything else on hold to make the $$$ again and again....unless I don’t want to stay married lol.

I’m comfortable with the fact that I’ll never be a grand slammer, I got my stone and a few dalls and can do Dalls yearly

The quick answer is a solid no.

The long answer involves more variables. Do you have a terminal disease or do you see your self not being able to physically go on a sheep hunt in the next 10 years? Then the answer is maybe.

If you are considering taking a home equity line of credit to go on a sheep hunt then you are willing to make extreme sacrifices to make it happen....

So maybe what you should do is sell whatever vehicles you have that have liens...purchase much older debt free vehicles. Take those payments and put in a fund/account with a 5 year time horizon...something with very low risk. The average person making 65K a year has a 600/month auto loan...two incomes and most of the time there are two loans. Lets say it is 600/month. So you will save 7200/year and maybe have an extra 1000/year in maintenance on an older vehicle. So that means 6200 in your pocket.

Now this time next year put that 6000 down payment on a hunt for 2022 with an outfitter that has a dall hunt for 20K. Save the same amount in 2020 and then again in 2021. You now have 18K plus any interest towards your hunt. In those 36 months you should also be able to find 100-200/month by not eating out as much or dropping cable/internet etc to cover the flights and extra 2K plus guide tips etc.

It is so simple but most people just sit back and say they cant afford to go on hunts etc. Make excuses for themselves yet are unwilling to sacrifice to make it happen.

Are you a person that makes excuses or are you someone that does what it takes to get the job done? I guess you will find out.

Good luck and make sure to post pics/story up in 2022 when you get back from your sheep hunt.

NateK

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know what your mortgage is a month but if you could pay that SOB off and stick that same amount of cash in a sheep account you could probably go every other year...

NateK

Lil-Rokslider
We (my wife and I) are currently saving for a down payment on our first house but still putting aside a little bit every month for a sheep hunt (for me) and a hunt for her (maybe moose). The plan is to buy a house and get it payed off in 10 years or so (we are currently in our mid-twenties). During that time frame we will hopefully each be able to go on our "once in a lifetime" hunts with what we are able to save while paying down the house. Big kicker here is that we have both agreed we only want to buy as much house as we need and can actually afford so we can afford to take the kids on trips and hunts. if we can have the house paid off and manage to stay out of other debt we should be able to afford "once in a lifetime" hunts on the regular! It's worth noting that my wife stays home with the kids and while I make more than a little it's way less than a lot! All of this is assuming I don't get eaten by a grizzly in the meantime...

Trial153

WKR
Just for shits and giggles. I calculated a Mortgage, with some assumptions. First that you filing 1040s for part or all of your return and that you itemize your deductions. Second that the mortgage is secured on a qualified home that you own.
30k amount for 10 years, an api of 4.5 percent, a federal tax rate of 25 percent and state tax rate of 8 percent.

The rate after tax is 3.105 percent.

Linear thinking is great, till it isnt.