Could you kill a high country mule deer w archery gear in 2 days

• Yes

Votes: 14 17.9%
  • No

Votes: 64 82.1%

• Total voters

ColoradoV

WKR
Here is a quick question for you mule deer hunters..

Would you expect to kill a high country archery buck w only 2 days to hunt? Feel free to comment what percentage or in 2 days there is a 70% chance or a 20% chance - of putting a respectable buck in the pack.

So high country, archery gear, and 2 days.. Yes or no what’s your answer?

EF3EF06A-06F0-454C-8ACF-CE3A0759A084.jpeg

OP
ColoradoV

ColoradoV

WKR
Sorry I should have added that have your normal scouting routine.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Problem really starts when the people in rifle season start thier scouting on the only two good days of archery season.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Foldem

WKR
I can and have, but when the season used to open the last Saturday in August my lucky day was 9/6. I think I shot bucks on the 6th 3 years in a row. These were all mature bucks but not monsters like you chase every year.

OP
ColoradoV

ColoradoV

WKR
I can and have, but when the season used to open the last Saturday in August my lucky day was 9/6. I think I shot bucks on the 6th 3 years in a row. These were all mature bucks but not monsters like you chase every year.

You have had a pretty darn good run and that typical last year was a amazing buck!

Thats interesting I have killed 2 bucks on the 6th as well but again had been hunting more than 2 days. It seems the bucks I am chasing usually or always have another hunter or guided hunter chasing them so the first 2 days it can get a bit western and buck usually gets bumped so it takes more time.

I know of only 1 guy who gets it done on the regular on either day 1-2 most years and that guy is not me lol.

Also a firm believer is that archery hunting big bucks gets exponentially harder with each day that passes... Or the best shot is that first 3 days then they start paying much better attention adjusting bedding areas and the like.

So my percentage of getting it done in the first 2 days I would put at 20% or so hunting the way I do or solo on a single targeted buck that I will spend all archery season on until he is killed.

BeaverGuy

FNG
I'm 100% for getting a shot in the first 3 days the last few years. But the last 2 years my arrow was nowhere near the deer...
I'd say 50% if you've got reasonable standards and an isolated spot. 2% if you've got extremely high standards or a crowded spot.

As the question is asked the answer is yes.
It’s not that hard to kill a “buck”. Add mature, target, big, etc to the question and answers change.

Wapiti1

WKR
In MT, yes. I have a couple of areas where you'll get a shot at a decent buck in two days time.

Places that I'm not familiar with, probably not, but you never know.

Jeremy

OP
ColoradoV

ColoradoV

WKR
So about 80 percent think that 2 days is not enough that is interesting.

As there is a moral to this story and that moral = after the attack by the Colorado Bowhunters Association on archery mule deer seasons in some places there is now a 2 day gap between the start of archery and the opener of high country rifle.. Only 2 days before 1000 yd shots (that are more the norm now than ever before) get chucked across basins and for any reasonable purpose ending any chance a archery hunter has hunting a deer above timberline..

By choosing to attack archery deer hunters in favor of a september elk season - for all effective purposes the CBA has choose to end basically any chance archers have hunting the same deer at the same time as rifle hunters.

The attack by the CBA on the deer seasons has left archery hunters who like the alpine terrain with few choices and due to this change I am looking at the front range burn units or other places as the high alpine window just got a lot shorter..........

Thanks again CBA!!

Get a life with your CBA comments! Sounds like you have no clue to what happened nor what they “were trying to get” but got shot down.

if you’re going to point fingers, the CWC is where you need to look.

OP
ColoradoV

ColoradoV

WKR
Sorry to disagree covey but I know what happened and why. If the ass had not pushed the “elk only” agenda we would not be here as deer hunters.

One question for ya man. If they care - what is the Cba doing to get deer season back to the historic dates?

It's clear to me you don't know what happened, as your comments above are way out of line for an organization, and really at that time, a specific individual, who busted his ass, kept everyone informed on what was coming, and how we were in trouble as archers. How did he know it was coming? Because he was attending those "boring" round table meetings around the state that were 99% BS most of the time.

I'm sure during those summer months, while he was listening to a bunch of garbage you were off doing "more important things" like scouting high country bucks, elk, etc as was I, but at least we had a CBA representative (arguably the best DOW rep we've ever had) there trying to keep status quo, and keep the August seasons intact.

So, really, your comments above are way out of line, and if not a slap in the face to the CBA, surely a slap in the face to the DOW rep at that time.

To answer your question, it most likely won't come back. If you've been an archer in CO for any length of time, when things change they rarely go back hence the reason the CBA was fully engaged on the last BGSS. Colorado's hunting seasons are a dynamic mess, and the CWC has little time for us these days which is very apparent with the most recent arguments on the table.

cnelk

WKR
ColoradoV (Javea) has always had a bug up his ass with the CBA, even long before the seasons dates were changed.

He will never let an opportunity go by without bashing them.

He even probably blames the CBA for Covid

ColoradoV I believe everyone knew what this post was about from the start. There are only 2 hunts with the early early rifle season. Unless some of the early season hunts up north start early. I'm not as familiar with those. 2 hunts total. I also don't believe 1000 yard shots are the norm. I believe they happen a lot more often than 10 years ago but I doubt they are the norm. Those two issues I think are minor compared to losing the early start date in every unit across the state.

I actually think they should rotate units like AZ does for elk. Some units have early muzzy, some archery, some rifle, some late archery, some late muzzy, some late rifle. Maybe this year 4th season 44 could be archery, next year muzzy, the year after rifle, etc. You could do the same with earlier seasons.

As for the CBA they turned me off years ago when they were using pics of Washington bulls as their main photos on their website. That just left a crappy taste in my mouth. Seems like fake advertising. After this last fiasco the high country archery deer hunters royally got screwed. All archers lost a day. (good job) But elk hunters get to hunt until the 30th for raghorns!! Woot woot what a win!!

I'm curious if the seasons would have stayed the same if the CBA would not have pushed a later closing date for elk so hard? If the dates would have stayed the same how is it not the CBA's fault for the late deer start date?