More Colorado OTC archery units set to move to draw in 2020...

gretch6364

Lil-Rokslider
It passed, all these units become draw. Glad to see them making this change and limiting the number of hunters, especially the non-resident hunters. Colorado law dictates that draw tags should only be 35% non-resident. Currently OTC tags are 50% NR. I am hearing the next step is to limit all the other OTC units as well. Will be a wonderful thing when NR tags are in line with the laws of the state.

Also, hopefully we can get back to having more large bulls. CO is the worst state in the west for trophy opportunity.

tdhanses

WKR
It passed, all these units become draw. Glad to see them making this change and limiting the number of hunters, especially the non-resident hunters. Colorado law dictates that draw tags should only be 35% non-resident. Currently OTC tags are 50% NR. I am hearing the next step is to limit all the other OTC units as well. Will be a wonderful thing when NR tags are in line with the laws of the state.

Also, hopefully we can get back to having more large bulls. CO is the worst state in the west for trophy opportunity.

Just don’t complain when the revenue tanks and you don’t draw, CO has built up a huge amount of income that if the resource is vastly limited will easily go away with residents unwilling to pick up the tab. Catch 22. Personally I don’t care, just means you plan what states to hunt and work your points so you can hunt each year, same will possibly apply to residents planning as well.

You also may find resident opportunity drastically decreased depending on the amount of tags given, say they only give out 1000 tags per unit, then 350 will go to nonresidents right and only 650 to residents but what if 2000 residents hunt each unit annually, now you’ll see pt creep grow for the residents and you’ll eventually hunt less as well. Unlike other states there isn’t an OTC resident tag and a NR draw only for the same units, what changes to draw for NR does equally for you.

And once the best of the units changed to draw are known and pt creep grows you’ll see more competition by residents for the crappy units that are easier to draw. Don’t be shocked if in time your opportunities are reduced the same as NR once there ar no OTC tags.

Last edited:

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider

Is there any statement/article out yet? Is it in effect this fall?

gsimmons2

FNG
Just don’t complain when the revenue tanks and you don’t draw, CO has built up a huge amount of income that if the resource is vastly limited will easily go away with residents unwilling to pick up the tab. Catch 22. Personally I don’t care, just means you plan what states to hunt and work your points so you can hunt each year, same will possibly apply to residents planning as well.

You also may find resident opportunity drastically decreased depending on the amount of tags given, say they only give out 1000 tags per unit, then 350 will go to nonresidents right and only 650 to residents but what if 2000 residents hunt each unit annually, now you’ll see pt creep grow for the residents and you’ll eventually hunt less as well. Unlike other states there isn’t an OTC resident tag and a NR draw only for the same units, what changes to draw for NR does equally for you.

And once the best of the units changed to draw are known and pt creep grows you’ll see more competition by residents for the crappy units that are easier to draw. Don’t be shocked if in time your opportunities are reduced the same as NR once there ar no OTC tags.
This! The same ones complaining and pushing for the pass will be the same ones complaining in a year or two when they see the downfall outweighed the benefits and they still can't kill/hunt elk.

gretch6364

Lil-Rokslider
I would much rather have a quality hunt every other year then the shit show we have now. Also, 35% is supposed to be the ceiling on non-resident tags. They can always go lower and give more resident tags.

As was mentioned before, OTC tag sales have TRIPLED in the last 10 years and NR make up 50% of OTC tags. Something had to be done.

OP
ColoradoV

ColoradoV

WKR
Hahaha gs - I imagine some of us locals will
continue to do just fine. I added a pic of a few this local has taken with a longbow just for you 👍...

I find it funny that folks think they can’t hunt it. Not the case you will be able to draw but it will use your points. So just no more getting a point and hunting...

Also from who I talk with I expect archery elk to be all draw for the entire state by the next 5 year and that will be very good from how many of us see things.

Attachments

• 9F1C2760-1A64-4167-949B-97A80392A721.jpeg
    9F1C2760-1A64-4167-949B-97A80392A721.jpeg
    556.6 KB · Views: 115

gretch6364

Lil-Rokslider
Once it goes all draw, they will at least be able to control how many hunters are in each unit and spread things out. That will be a huge plus!

tdhanses

WKR
I agree all draw will be good even for us NR’s. There will still be plenty of tags available you’ll just not have the ability to hunt each year and build points, possibly. We are all speculating at this point as it may still be easy to draw these units with a 2nd choice selection.

I think the guys unwilling to spend a dime more or enter the draw because of the small game requirement will move on or stop hunting CO, no biggie there.

In the long term I think there be plenty of opportunity for a tag and better quality if it goes all draw. Look at deer, it’s been all draw for years and it is pretty easy to get a tag. In the end it’ll be determined by how many tags they allocate. I almost think they should do away with the leftovers, unless your unsuccessful in the draw, make people have to be serious about hunting.

sndmn11

WKR
Once it goes all draw, they will at least be able to control how many hunters are in each unit and spread things out. That will be a huge plus!

Until the unlimited rifle hunters cruise through. That is the reason why there was CBA pushback and disagreement in this thread.

I'm all for the betterment of something, but I have a WTF moment when we go to my parent's house for the holidays and I take my time to lift the toilet seat and return to the down position, then my brother rolls in later and piddles all over it.

lowpressure

Lil-Rokslider
I used to be a colorado resident and grew up hunting elk and mule deer in the shadows of the Umcompahgre. The train of thought behind limiting an archery hunter in a unit and then allowing any joe schmoe to show up a couple weeks later with a rifle unlimited is redonkulous. Im still sitting here trying to wrap my head around that thinking. If a unit doesnt need to limit its rifle hunters then it most definitely does not need to limit the most challenging of hunting methods. (ok i didnt take into account spears and atlatl) lol. This is what happens when desk jockies make the rules.

gsimmons2

FNG
Hahaha gs - I imagine some of us locals will
continue to do just fine. I added a pic of a few this local has taken with a longbow just for you 👍...

I find it funny that folks think they can’t hunt it. Not the case you will be able to draw but it will use your points. So just no more getting a point and hunting...

Also from who I talk with I expect archery elk to be all draw for the entire state by the next 5 year and that will be very good from how many of us see things.
Impressive no doubt! Especially with a longbow.

I am first and foremost a conservationist, as we all are. So having said that, I am all for something if it helps the herd. However, this new change I do not believe was in the better interest of the herd but rather to appease certain individuals and a poor attempt towards the betterment of the population. I just simply think there were better measure to take before this one. Just my opinion.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Seems like they would issue a new OTC map....

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
CPW is doing a series of public meetings across the Southwest in Feb: Dolores, Pagosa Springs, Norwood and Durango. I’m gonna go check out the Durango meeting and will report back.

jmez

WKR
This is what happens when desk jockies make the rules.

To a degree, yes. It is a way to piss off the least amount of people with the smallest influence to "show" that you are doing something.