More flexible boot questions(Crispi and maybe others)

So, to start things off I have a foot deformity called Haglunds. Its basically these bony knobs on the back of my heels. Where a normal heel looks like (, mine looks more like {. It makes finding boots(and shoes even) incredibly hard. Didn't learn about this until earlier this year!

Anyway, this makes it hard to find boots that will really lock my heel in... what ends up happening with stiffer boots is it drives my heel back into the heel cup on each step/especially on uphills. The heel rubs, and you can guess the rest.

I've had fair luck with Salomon Quests fitting... however, the durability of the waterproofing in particular leaves much to be desired. I need a boot that doesn't have a super stiff last/sole. It needs to have some flex. Something similar to the Quest.

I tried emailing Crispi about my issues, and while they haven't been super off-putting, they also haven't been incredibly helpful. I'd imagine its probably because they just don't have much experience with the condition.

Sorry for the wall of text lead up to the question - I'm looking at the lighter weight Crispi options. The Summit, Lapponia, Crossover, and Valdres. Has anyone here compared some of these boots with the Quests? Which ones were close to the Quests as far as flex goes? I'm also open to suggestions for other brands as well. I'm just trying to save some time and money... no sense in trying out boots if they're super stiff... I can go ahead and mark those off the list.

Thanks in advance.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Take a look at the Iniv-8 Roclite 320’s.

Out of 40-50 guys I work with, probably half are using a version of the Roclites.

My crispi summits are pretty flexible. Im not sure about your condition, but I went from Kenetrek Mountain Extremes, and compared to them my Crispi Summits are very flexible. On Blackovis they say they are a 3 on the Flex chart out of 5.

mtnkid85

WKR
If your foot is fairly low profile you could look at some of La Sportivas offerings. The Trango TRK GTX is on the lighter side of boots, flexible while still maintaining some support.
Ive really enjoyed mine.

westdraw

FNG
I feel your pain. I have the same deformity and it is difficult to find a boot that works well. I am current running Lowa Irox GTX for a non-insulated option. They have been great so far in regards to fit, not tearing my heel up, and being waterproof. So far this holds true for whitetail hunting in hilly but easier terrain, so not best test as of yet. However, some other options I have tried tore up my heel in the same terrain.

https://www.lowaboots.com/mens/trekking/irox-gtx-mid-navy-rust

So not quite sure I have exactly what you have mine have been called bone spurs. mine stick our 1/8-1/4" and kind of offset. And it sucks because I like a stiff boot.
I'm running the Wyoming and its a flex level 3 and its a pretty good compromise I think. I overnighted them during season and went home and got them. I hunted 10 days and only had to tape my heel once. as opposed to not being able to go anywhere without 3 layers in my other boots.
I don't have 1st hand with the quest but I would guess them about a 2 or 3 flex in the crispi line.
If I were you look at the crispi comparison chart and order a 2 or 3 flex.
Order from black ovis and use code Rokslide10
They give you 30 days to try them, Put some trash bags over them to keep them clean and see what you think.
They only charge $7 for a return label.

sneaky

"DADDY"
You should call Lathrop and Sons and see what they would recommend. Coming from a podiatry background I'd say their advice would beat anything coming from a forum. That's not a knock on any advice already given, just a thought.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I spend $1200 @Lathrop last year and ended up they wanted me to wear a gel padded sleeve that you can buy on Amazon for $10.
We agreed to disagree on spending $1200 on that .
They help some people, but they are salesmen for sure and that's when I ended up overnighting 3 pairs of crispies to camp to save season after wasting 8 months.
Ymmv but that's my 2 cents on that.