More prep for Montana

hobbes

WKR
I've been out a couple more times now and found elk both times. Both times were short scouting trips in separate areas. The first on the 18th resulted in three cows, a calf, and a spike walking right into me while I was glassing a far ridge. There was nothing I could do but sit tight and watch them wind me since they were on me before I knew it. The only thing I glassed on the far ridge was a few deer. I had chosen to not pack a spotting scope so I could not identify as bucks.

8-11.jpg

8-11-12.jpg

Last edited:
OP
H

hobbes

WKR
On the 25th we hiked back into the area we had previously found sign and saw several elk. We also ended up close behind another herd of what sounded like cows and calves. They were really talking back and forth in the herd. Now all there is to do is get ready for Saturday morning and hope the pressure isn't too bad. The anticipation puts knots in my stomach.

P1070950.jpg

Here is a photo of a doe eating from the hay bales at my target.

DoeatTarget.jpg

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
Sign means there has to be live bodies somewhere. My problem in the past few years hasn't been finding live bodies, but closing the deal on them. I've been going into this season with the attitude that I was starting all over again with learning the country, so I had set my expectations really low. My expectations have moved up quite a few notches after my scouting and I don't think I'll be able to attribute any failure to connect on hunting new country.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good luck! I am headed to MT tomorrow night! Looking forward to 8 days in the backcountry!

Titaniumman

Lil-Rokslider
Sign means there has to be live bodies somewhere. My problem in the past few years hasn't been finding live bodies, but closing the deal on them. I've been going into this season with the attitude that I was starting all over again with learning the country, so I had set my expectations really low. My expectations have moved up quite a few notches after my scouting and I don't think I'll be able to attribute any failure to connect on hunting new country.

I feel your pain. Last year was the first I was able to close the deal with a bow. It was worth the wait though :)