More rude and aggressive members

280Ackley

WKR
Is it just me or has there been more members being rude and disrespectful when replying to threads? It seems like more and more members just knit pick every little thing in a post and get it way off topic. I posted about wrong tires ending my antelope hunt early and that turned into people calling me out as an unethical father?!? Now I see @Ucsdryder has a thread that is getting hijacked and @robby denning is having to ban people for calling him preachy. Come on guys be better than this. There is a difference in having a different view then the other guy and just being a troll.
Rant over

Last edited:
There are definitely some newer trolls, but there are also a couple of senior members with high posts counts who seem to make a point to drop in on threads with a snarky condescending remark 3 to 4 times for every actual contribution they make. Every forum has them....

Ucsdryder

WKR
I wouldn’t worry about it. As the forum grows you get more and more new people, you’re bound to find some a-holes. And then there are those senior members who appear to be always “trying to find the logic”. So I guess there can be new a-holes and old ones!

I just looked up your thread on the tires. Bum deal! I blew 2 tires scouting unit 61 with a buddy this summer. 10 minutes apart. Both complete blowouts. He had an identical truck and I ran on 2 spares. The pucker factor was strong waiting to get home!!!! They were 4 ply tires too. Garbage! If you can swing it you might grab another spare and let it ride around in the bed of your truck. Cheap insurance.

It’s everywhere, social media has ruined the internet. I’m an older guy and miss the days before all of this when if someone got to mouthy they had to deal with the repercussions, at least then there were only a few smart asses. I’ve been a member of a boating forum for years, bunch of old rich white guys and that forum has even turned into a pissing match, either wise cracks or too cool know it alls.
The biggest issue now is on many of these forums they moderate the crap out of them, you are not allowed to discuss any current event they deem political….as our world is getting turned inside out, everything is political. So at least (for now) this forum has great moderators. That will likely change sooner than not, someone will come buy the site and it will go they way of the rest of them.
I honestly don’t know if the internet is the best thing to ever happen or the worst.

Yeah I honestly think tensions out side of the forum such as this pandemic, economy, etc.. has just got some fellas being a bunch of bitter individuals.

Granted I will definitely say I think there is some validity to others noticing some of the older members with high post counts always seemingly getting involved in drama on the forum. Seems every high comment count thread had the exact same culprits stirring up drama and arguments. Same self proclaimed “Pros” “Techs” “Hot Shot Coaches” etc.. giving their .2 cents only to stir things up. Kind of wish those repeat offenders would learn to just chill out a little.

ODB

WKR
It’s the relative anonymity of the internet. Humans are very much affected by the immediate feedback of their actions, especially when it comes to inflicting hurt or insults. It’s easy to be a jerk online, very hard in a personal conversation.

we walk around every day meeting people we don’t know, are cordial to each other, and generally feel good. Yet when we go home we pull out the knives and start slitting those same people’s throats online.

there have been and always will be mean people or what have you, social media seems to concentrate them, or at least give them a larger voice which then incentivizes them to continue.

Make everyone use their real name. You will see most of it stop once people need to tie their identity to their comments. Everyone is tough standing behind the proverbial fence (username).

I've noticed recently that some of the crowd that has made the Alaska Outdoor Forum unbearable and basically silent have now decided to migrate here to ruin threads.

Rob5589

WKR
So at least (for now) this forum has great moderators. That will likely change sooner than not, someone will come buy the site and it will go they way of the rest of them.
I truly hope not. When Frank sold off Snipers Hide that site turned to garbage. Rarely does anything improve when being sold off to a group looking to do nothing but profit.

I was a part of the problem, posting rude comments for my own entertainment and degrading the quality of the site. The Mods brought it to my attention and I realized that I wasn't contributing in a positive manner. I have plenty of incredibly strong opinions on a variety of subjects and I just need to keep most of them to myself.

H2PVon

Lil-Rokslider

Nitpicking is a term, first used in 1956, that describes the action of giving too much attention to unimportant detail

There's no 'k' in nitpicking. And it's 280 Ackley Improved. :ROFLMAO:

Edit: I just learned that I need an emoji.​

Last edited: