More stiff or more flexible boot

I have a pair of schnee absaroka's that I probably have 300+ miles in, but I still am getting a heel blister and pinky toe blisters when going off trail. Now I do have a pair of superfeet in them, but they are probably as old as the boots themselves. And if my memory serves me correctly, I would still get blisters even when they were new.

The heel blister only happens on my left foot. I've laced them differently and that still doesn't help. It only happens when sidehilling and being off trail.

Any smaller size and I feel like the boots would be too tight/my toes would hit the toe box, any bigger and I think the blister on the heel would be even worse.

Thought these were the ones, but I don't think I should have to tape up my feet every time I go off trail (maybe I do)

Would a stiffer boot or a more flexible boot potentially help with this? Maybe a synthetic boot instead of leather?

Any suggestions for a stiffer boot? Maybe Scarpa?

More flexible boot - a schnee option or maybe a crispi?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

tdot

WKR
Sounds like a fit issue. I'd hazard a guess that your toe box needs go be wider and you heel pocket needs to be abit tighter. It could also be a midfoot fitment issue, if the midfoot isnt held the forefoot can slide side to side and heel can lift.

OP
A
Any suggestion on such a boot with a wider toe box and a narrower heel?

I dont really feel my foot shift in the boot. I always wear darn tough or a similar type sock as well.

TxxAgg

WKR
I had similar issues with Lowas and recently switched to Altras. Very happy so far.

(Altra Tushar)

Last edited:

RCB

WKR
Try something lighter and more flexible. No guarantees, but seems that if you’re having trouble with a big burly 4 lb mountain boot, try something different. I typically hunt in cheap Merrell Moabs all year.

OP
A
I'll look at what altra has to offer - thanks.

The problem (well not a problem, but a preference) is i like a full leather, hunting/backpacking style boot, but maybe my feet don't like them so I guess I should switch it up.

My thought on a stiffer boot would be my foot wouldn't flex as much and therefore my foot wouldn't move much in the boot. Wrong thinking?

Maybe my food needs to flex more with thr boot and not fight is so much.

GregB

WKR

I dont really feel my foot shift in the boot. I always wear darn tough or a similar type sock as well.

I have a similar problem and find Salewa and Hanwag fit well. I sized up a half size in the Salewa and would recommend the same or a wide in Hanwag.

xcutter

WKR
I agree with wiiawiwb. Love my Schnee's Timberline's. Took me several boots and lots of $ but I finally found the right boot for my feet.

Try the beartooths. They’re a flex 2 and are great. I have the timberlines also but feel they are too flexible in nasty country and packing heavy. Both great boots

Wrench

WKR
Have you tried 5 toe socks yet? The socks solved the toe blister issue for me in all boots and fit so well on my foot that they cannot give me hot spots. I run the merino versions available for sub 10 bux on Amazon.

I'd sure advise you give it a go before you park your boots.

OP
A
Have you tried 5 toe socks yet? The socks solved the toe blister issue for me in all boots and fit so well on my foot that they cannot give me hot spots. I run the merino versions available for sub 10 bux on Amazon.

I'd sure advise you give it a go before you park your boots.

I'll look in to that as an option as well.

jmez

WKR
They don't fit. You need to find one with a different fit.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

tdot

WKR

Boots are so specific that its always hard to recommend. But I've had good success with Scarpa, in several of their different lasts. (But some models I cant even get my foot into). The Scarpa Ribelle HD is probably the best all-round boot I've ever owned.

You don't need to feel you foot shifting to cause a blister.

How heavy are you? Weight matters with stiffness 125lb dude shouldn't be in the same stiffness as a 325lb dude.

OP
A
5'10 about 190. The absarokas are a Flex 3.

Guess I'll just have to try a different model from Schnee or a different brand in general. Problem always is; these boots felt real good out of the box; real good hiking on groomed trails too. But I am getting tired of having to tape up my feet every time. My dad just did the lathrop&sons foot mapping and walked out with a pair of their Mountain Hunters. They looked like good boots, but they were a lot clunkier than I would have thought. I don't think I could drop 1k on that process either.

Rokwiia

WKR
The Timberline continue to feel great as I have worn every day in fairly tame environments. Tomorrow will be their maiden voyage to the woods, a mountain, rocks, and streams. I put a coat of the Nikwax as recommended by Schnee.

@ Austinphps - I find the Timberline to have a roomy foot box yet keeps my heel in place.

Attachments

• Schnee Timberline 2 .jpg
    Schnee Timberline 2 .jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 45
  • Schnee Timberline 1.jpg
    Schnee Timberline 1.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
OP
A
The Timberline continue to feel great as I have worn every day in fairly tame environments. Tomorrow will be their maiden voyage to the woods, a mountain, rocks, and streams. I put a coat of the Nikwax as recommended by Schnee.

@ Austinphps - I find the Timberline to have a roomy foot box and narrow heel.
Good luck out there! If you have some feedback after being in the mountains in them, post it up.

Rokwiia

WKR
@austinphps
I tried on the Schnee Divide Mid which is akin to the Absaroka except with a Flex 2 bottom. I sent them back for a 1/2 size larger. They were a tad stiff, at least from what I'm used to (trail runners), but they did flex. If the Timberline has too much flex, which I can't imagine, then the Divide Mid may hit the sweet spot for you.

Both held my heel in place while providing ample room in the forefoot.

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have a pair of schnee absaroka's that I probably have 300+ miles in, but I still am getting a heel blister and pinky toe blisters when going off trail. Now I do have a pair of superfeet in them, but they are probably as old as the boots themselves. And if my memory serves me correctly, I would still get blisters even when they were new.

The heel blister only happens on my left foot. I've laced them differently and that still doesn't help. It only happens when sidehilling and being off trail.

Any smaller size and I feel like the boots would be too tight/my toes would hit the toe box, any bigger and I think the blister on the heel would be even worse.

Thought these were the ones, but I don't think I should have to tape up my feet every time I go off trail (maybe I do)

Would a stiffer boot or a more flexible boot potentially help with this? Maybe a synthetic boot instead of leather?

Any suggestions for a stiffer boot? Maybe Scarpa?

More flexible boot - a schnee option or maybe a crispi?

I would bet money you have a size variance between your feet. Probably 75% of people we measure do. Beyond that, people often have a slightly different shape to one foot versus the other. I think a softer boot that would "mold" to your foot shape would probably help. For what it's worth, our Kestrel boot would be where I'd start. - Matt