More than just a rear bag

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
That looks way better than the clamp…. Would you use that hunting? I have a Promaster Carbon tripod that I carry when I hunt. Obviously, not as stable as your tripod, but I think the rifle to tripod connection is my weakest link right now. Based on your experience, should I be looking at one of these shooting bags or some kind of rail to tripod attachment for hunting purposes?
I started with a clamp and hated it. I do use it hunting and shot a deer off it seated last year clipped in. A lot seem to like a bag or table, I know at steel matches that’s about what everyone does, to be able to move quickly through targets without having to manipulate the Head. I have used the bags before, for p dogs and practice but hunting if I have time I’m clipping in. I’m significantly steadier with my hunting weight rifles clipped in. If your goal is to shot off a tripod, then I would figure out a way to directly attach, and make sure your head can do it quick. Part of the problem with an extra bag/table/clamp is that it’s another item to dig out to make a shot. With the direct attachment I slap my rifle on, flick a lever and I’m ready to shoot.

The bag is still worth it as a rear and front support for times that you are not grabbing the tripod, think off a rock or over a deadfall, fence post ect. Just another tool for the tool box.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
I recently purchased an Anvil-30 (put it on my ProMaster 525C) and used a Pint-Sized Game Changer in Git-Lite last year as a rear rest with bipod.

Wouldn't clamping in the extra 5 seconds be preferred to using the pint-sized GC on top? I feel setting up the tripod is a majority of the time rather than the clamping in but this is only in practice around the house (I have a full length arca if that makes any difference).

For example would the pint sized GC be preferred if follow-up shots are necessary?
Following and follow ups, especially if your shooting multiple things, is where the bag shines. It requires no manipulation of the head. That said, for me, and the rifles I’m shooting, I prefer to be attached directly from a pure accuracy standpoint. A lot seem to prefer the bag, which is why I tried them all on the head as kind of a comparison, but in the end, unless I have my 18lb match rifle out, I want to be directly attached if possible.

As noted above, the bag is useful for much more than just shooting off a tripod head, the tripod simply gave me a medium to test the bags out on. If the bag works well on a tripod head, I think it will work even better on a downed tree, rock or fence post.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
I was super torn on this.
I'll probably end up with both.
I started with the GC because I see it as a more versatile hunting bag.
And the Wedge as a better rear only bag.
Funny I started with a wedge, though not the thunderbird, a triad tactical. I prefer the pint sized game changer to the wedge 100% of the time as a rear.

Funny I started with a wedge, though not the thunderbird, a triad tactical. I prefer the pint sized game changer to the wedge 100% of the time as a rear.
We don't have a good local range.
I'm always shooting in the weeds, I'm always up on the bipod and bags as hi as possible.

woods89

WKR
Following and follow ups, especially if your shooting multiple things, is where the bag shines. It requires no manipulation of the head. That said, for me, and the rifles I’m shooting, I prefer to be attached directly from a pure accuracy standpoint. A lot seem to prefer the bag, which is why I tried them all on the head as kind of a comparison, but in the end, unless I have my 18lb match rifle out, I want to be directly attached if possible.

As noted above, the bag is useful for much more than just shooting off a tripod head, the tripod simply gave me a medium to test the bags out on. If the bag works well on a tripod head, I think it will work even better on a downed tree, rock or fence post.
I'd agree with this. The pint sized GC shines as support at the rifle balance point on field expedient objects. It can also do well as a rear bag if needed but that is not it's primary purpose for me.

And kudos to you, @Lawnboi for a very informative set of posts.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks for the thread and work in putting it together. A current thread tangent about lead sleds (I admit to having one - but I haven't used it recently) reminded me I need a rear bag. Or apparently two. I am leaning towards the the Mini Tacky with Git Lite fill, but I expect I will also end up with the Wedge or the Pint Sized Game Changer.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
Thanks for the thread and work in putting it together. A current thread tangent about lead sleds (I admit to having one - but I haven't used it recently) reminded me I need a rear bag. Or apparently two. I am leaning towards the the Mini Tacky with Git Lite fill, but I expect I will also end up with the Wedge or the Pint Sized Game Changer.

I’m not up to date on the thunderbird long range offerings, I know they changed names. I still use the mini connected to my backyard 17 for killing whatever needs killing.

The problem with a wedge is that it’s a one trick pony, and really only works with stocks with sharper angles on the bottom of the butt. Iv gravitated to stocks with flat rear ends. A wedge is also a terrible front bag.

The pint sized with git lite is even better now as it comes with a fill spout. So you can adjust fill as needed.

The schmedium with git lite should be on your list as well. Little bigger than the pint sized and if you can deal with the size and weight it’s a very well designed bag. It also has a fill spout to adjust fill to your liking, which I think is a big deal.

I continue to carry the pint sized, I used it as a front rest for 2 deer this year. It’s a great bag and what I prefer. I plan to get a git lite schmedium this spring, I currently have the heavy version and use it as my only bag for matches, I thing the extra contact area will be even better for lighter weight rifles.

Everyone that shoots off one of the game changers on the front immediately looks at me and goes holy shit. It’s near prone stability with some practice. And finding a rock or a log to slap it on isn’t all that hard.

Armageddon gear does a lot to support shooting sports as well.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I’m not up to date on the thunderbird long range offerings, I know they changed names. I still use the mini connected to my backyard 17 for killing whatever needs killing.

The problem with a wedge is that it’s a one trick pony, and really only works with stocks with sharper angles on the bottom of the butt. Iv gravitated to stocks with flat rear ends. A wedge is also a terrible front bag.

The pint sized with git lite is even better now as it comes with a fill spout. So you can adjust fill as needed.

The schmedium with git lite should be on your list as well. Little bigger than the pint sized and if you can deal with the size and weight it’s a very well designed bag. It also has a fill spout to adjust fill to your liking, which I think is a big deal.

I continue to carry the pint sized, I used it as a front rest for 2 deer this year. It’s a great bag and what I prefer. I plan to get a git lite schmedium this spring, I currently have the heavy version and use it as my only bag for matches, I thing the extra contact area will be even better for lighter weight rifles.

Everyone that shoots off one of the game changers on the front immediately looks at me and goes holy shit. It’s near prone stability with some practice. And finding a rock or a log to slap it on isn’t all that hard.

Armageddon gear does a lot to support shooting sports as well.
So are you recommending 3 bags? It’s cool if you are. I’m starting to have flashbacks to some SWFA purchases over the last few weeks.

I’ve purchased from Armageddon before and really like their stuff and CS (nothing was wrong, they just immediately answered questions). If you think 3 from Armageddon, including one in lieu of the mini, that’s cool with me.

BLJ

WKR
@Lawnboi. Do you have any experience with the fortune cookie? Compared to the game changer? One design better than the other? Thanks.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
So are you recommending 3 bags? It’s cool if you are. I’m starting to have flashbacks to some SWFA purchases over the last few weeks.

I’ve purchased from Armageddon before and really like their stuff and CS (nothing was wrong, they just immediately answered questions). If you think 3 from Armageddon, including one in lieu of the mini, that’s cool with me.
From what Iv used, I’d recommend:
-pint sized game changer with git lite for a lightweight hunting bag. Something you can clip to a pack and forget it’s there. Front or rear it does it all pretty well for its size and weight.

-If outright stability is what you want the schmedium with sand is what I like. But it weighs what my hunting guns do. I’m thinking this bag with git lite fill would be a winner too. We will see, I’ll update when I order one.

The mini tacky is okay but not as stable or versatile as the pint sized.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
@Lawnboi. Do you have any experience with the fortune cookie? Compared to the game changer? One design better than the other? Thanks.
Only played with them at matches, and only the heavy versions. I prefer the gamechanger. Probably mostly out of familiarity especially as a rear bag.

I don’t know if weibad makes a git lite bag or not, havnt seen one around so really havnt looked into it.

I see the wedge as a different class of bags from the game changer style. I got the small light one thinking I might use it hunting but I wouldn't be surprised if it never goes hunting. It's just not as versatile as a gamechanger style bag.

For me, the wedge as a rear bag is easier to be stable with and get/hold your rear elevation. It's what I use at the bench and when prone at the range. It's harder to mess up on the rear end of the gun with one than with a different bag requiring more tension to squeeze IMO. That the ears would help the rifle track straight back makes sense. That said, I can't say that i've noticed that I shoot any smaller using it just that it takes less focus to feel locked in steady with it vs a gamechanger or other style rear bag. After thinking about this, I should probably practice more with other bags as a rear rest so the wedge doesn't become a crutch.

There's a reason they use the bunny ear style rear bags in more static shooting disciplines, they work very well.

Macintosh

WKR
Appreciate this.
FWIW, a buddy who shoots things a long way off for a living said he’s actually stopped using a head at all—he has a skeletonized aluminum plate screwed to the top of his tripod and a gitlite bag that he uses both for spotting and for shooting. He said he wont go without the bag, so he figures losing the head is easier and saves him a pound or so.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
Appreciate this.
FWIW, a buddy who shoots things a long way off for a living said he’s actually stopped using a head at all—he has a skeletonized aluminum plate screwed to the top of his tripod and a gitlite bag that he uses both for spotting and for shooting. He said he wont go without the bag, so he figures losing the head is easier and saves him a pound or so.
I have a light 3d printed table for my tripod head. I’ll snap some pictures when I get a chance

Rich M

WKR
If you havnt used a bag with git lite fill it’s worth a go. Iv used everything from styrofoam bead bags, to heavy sand fill and for a hunting bag this can’t be beat. I couldn’t stand the soft styrofoam bead bags, and no way I’m carrying my 9lb sand filled gamechanger into the field. Git lite fill also dosnt soak up a bunch of water when they get wet. I look forward to doing some more shooting with both of these bags.
View attachment 303275

Lastly I clipped in right to my anvil head. This was easily the steadiest I was behind the tripod. Almost made it stupid easy. Not as adaptable as a bag, but if I need to make a longish shot off a tripod and have the time, I’m still clipping in. View attachment 303276
Thats how i like to get, both elbows secure. Steady as a rock!

bayangler

FNG
@Lawnboi I just wanted to thank you for putting this together. The last couple of years I've been going down this road looking to put together a stable platform for shooting (first bipods, then tripods, now bags). I've read a bunch of your posts lately regarding shooting off bags and tripods and I would have been well served to listen to what you had to say from the start.
My current tripod is steady enough for shooting seated but without a ball head or an arca plate near the balance point of my rifles, I never use it. Per your recommendation I picked up the pint-sized GC w/git lite and now, using it on top of a tac-table, it gives me a good balance of stability and ease of use adjusting point of aim. Please do update us on the schmedium GC with git lite as I'm tempted to order one to see if I can get a little more stability without making it too heavy to carry on a regular basis.
I'm sure I'll end up with a 24L (or 34L) with an anvil as well at some point as well but for now, this is a great combination.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
@Lawnboi - thanks again for this thread and your replies. I'm finally following through after a long delay in putting together my RS Special. Did you ever get the scmedium with git lite and/or have any other feedback before I pull the trigger on that and the pint sized game changer (also with git lite)?

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
@Lawnboi - thanks again for this thread and your replies. I'm finally following through after a long delay in putting together my RS Special. Did you ever get the scmedium with git lite and/or have any other feedback before I pull the trigger on that and the pint sized game changer (also with git lite)?
I did, it’s good bag but I did end up buying one of the current gen pint sized with git lite. Order direct from AG as you can then assure it will come with a fill spout to adjust fill. They send them stuffed full; you will need remove around 1/4 of the fill. For big game ill carry the pint sized

The git lite Schmedium is a better shooting surface on a log, rock or stump but I do t feel the pint sized gives up much, and don’t feel it gives up anything in the rear. The schmedium also has a fill spout for adjustment.

In general for front bags, the more surface area the better, similar to laying your rifle on a pack. It’s all give and take. I can strap either to the exterior of a pack and not notice it.

Since starting this thread I have used the bag on nearly every big game animal I have shot. Personally I feel it’s the best thing I can carry to increase my oddest making a solid shot.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I did, it’s good bag but I did end up buying one of the current gen pint sized with git lite. Order direct from AG as you can then assure it will come with a fill spout to adjust fill. They send them stuffed full; you will need remove around 1/4 of the fill. For big game ill carry the pint sized

The git lite Schmedium is a better shooting surface on a log, rock or stump but I do t feel the pint sized gives up much, and don’t feel it gives up anything in the rear. The schmedium also has a fill spout for adjustment.

In general for front bags, the more surface area the better, similar to laying your rifle on a pack. It’s all give and take. I can strap either to the exterior of a pack and not notice it.

Since starting this thread I have used the bag on nearly every big game animal I have shot. Personally I feel it’s the best thing I can carry to increase my oddest making a solid shot.
Thanks - again! My Pint Sized GC with git lite should be delivered tomorrow.

Have you (or has anyone else) used the Tea Bag from Unknown Munitions? I had one (small) in my cart from before I ordered the pint size and I'm wondering if there is any use for it - especially for the $35 (and since I'm ordering something else from them anyway).