Morning sit without roosting ?

Does anyone ever pick a spot on the edge of a field and call every so often with a decoy out and get lucky ??

or is the only way to do it ,to find the roost the night before and be in that area in the morning ?

Oregon

WKR
All the flipping time. I personally have never killed a turkey I’ve roosted. Quit trying years ago. I’ve probably killed around 40 turkeys is all, but everyone I’ve killed was to 3 things
Hunting where turkeys frequent
Staying 2 hours later than I really want to
Minimal calling(cause I suck)

N2TRKYS

WKR
I've had luck setting up on fresh sign in the woods or in fields while doing blind calling, but without decoys. I do this on mornings that turkeys aren't gobbling or on afternoon hunts.

Rarely, do I have to do that. And, rarely do I roost turkeys the night before.

I hear them gobble in the mornings on the roost and try to get as close as possible. Sometimes, I don't find them until after flydown. After I find them, the process is the same. Get in his bubble and try to call him in.

OP
F
The gobble on there own in the morning on the roost ? Or your using a call to get them to gobble on the roost?

also around what time in the morning do they gobble on the roost.

you recommend no decoys? And just blind calling ?

N2TRKYS

WKR
The gobble on there own in the morning on the roost ? Or your using a call to get them to gobble on the roost?

also around what time in the morning do they gobble on the roost.

you recommend no decoys? And just blind calling ?

Most of the time, I let them gobble on their own. Sometimes I'll owl hoot to get a gobble or crow call(after it gets light enough).

Nothing wrong with using decoys. I just don't use them. I'm usually covering alot of ground and don't want to carry them.

George Hamrick

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone ever pick a spot on the edge of a field and call every so often with a decoy out and get lucky ??

or is the only way to do it ,to find the roost the night before and be in that area in the morning ?
You definitely don’t have to roost them to get one. Personally I’m more of a run and gun type hunter than one who sits on the edge of a field and calls every now and then. I don’t have the patience for it, but if you know of a field where turkeys frequent you can kill them that way. If one is gobbling, I’ll move and get as close as possible before calling. Not sure where you’re living, but once the leaves are on the trees you can usually get within 100-150 yards without getting spotted.

fatlander

WKR
Yes, often. Just because he doesn’t gobble doesn’t mean he’s not there. If I know he’s there I’ll sit on him. I’ve killed quite a few birds that never gobbled until later in the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with what everyone is said so far. In my experience the birds should start gobbling within 30-45 minutes of sunrise on the roost, but not every time. I've had them gobble at sunrise on the roost. Sitting the edge of a field can be productive if you know how to call and know the turkeys are using it. First thing in the morning I will setup in a known location and if birds are not close by I will move as close as I can get to them.

NoWiser

WKR
I never roost turkeys anymore. It's bad enough having to get up at 4:00 a.m. without staying up late trying to roost birds. I've only ever killed 1 turkey that I roosted the night before. I've killed a ton doing exactly what you are talking about - setting up a decoy in a field and calling ever so often. Usually it happens between 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m.

TheCougar

WKR
You definitely don’t have to roost birds, but I do it anyways. Of all the birds we’ve killed, only a few - maybe 10%, have come directly from the roost in the morning. 90% of the time they seem to already have a plan for the fly down, and we aren’t part of that plan. Still, that 10% keeps me coming back...

Poser

WKR
Even though morning gobbling is exciting and all, almost all of the birds I have killed have been between 10 and 1.

For me, roosting is good for finding the pockets of birds in an area. A few times I've made it happen when they fly down, like this years opener, but most of the time I'm in a new area and I want to know where the birds are. So I'll listen to see if one will fire off in the evening to have a good idea of where the birds.

SoDaky

WKR
If bowhunting,trying to kill at 'fly down' is near impossible.I stay in touch with quite a few bowhunters and seldom are there kills then.Occasionally a 'set up' nearby but even then it's likely after the hens have fed and the Toms start roaming.I believe in many cases Toms hear my calls pre fly down and come back after 9-10AM to investigate.
I no longer bust a roost and often just wait til after fly down to go in and set up.Kinda like field hunting geese,try not to bust the roost unless the pressure is heavy and therefore it's unavoidable.

300wmxcr2

FNG
Go a few off the roost but have shot way more birds between 8 and 10. Tom's usually wont leave the hens they have until later in the morning. They do hear your calls and may or may not answer but they do remember where they were coming from and will come check it out later on. Patience!