Morphed a non-zipper sleeping bag into quilt

thejones

WKR
I have a Thermarest Navis (zipper-less sleeping bag) that I did not enjoy crawling into, so I decided to turn it into a quilt. I first tried to sell the bag, but did not have any takers, so I morphed it. The bag is made like a tube to save weight by omitting the zipper and having zero insulation on the bottom of the bag. Great idea in theory, but I did not enjoy the inch worm technique required to get into and out of the bag. Since the bottom of the bag was just nylon, I removed it. Then I needed to cut through a baffle and sew the ends shut. The sew job is rough, but it is no longer leaking down. I have included pics of pre and post.

I owe a big thank you to Nodakian for hooking me up with some thread, and everyone who replied to my "thread" thread. So Punny!

Happy Holidays everyone.

Attachments

• IMG_1441.jpeg
    IMG_1441.jpeg
    504.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1679.jpeg
    IMG_1679.jpeg
    458.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1678.jpeg
    IMG_1678.jpeg
    425.2 KB · Views: 35

Mt Al

WKR
There's a youtube on turning a zippered sleeping bag into a quilt, you've just inspired me! Thanks!

My stitching was horrendous and has risen to just 'bad' - but it's getting better. There are some DIY projects on here where the sewing looks perfect. Jealous but it shows me there's hope.

OP
T

thejones

WKR
There's a youtube on turning a zippered sleeping bag into a quilt, you've just inspired me! Thanks!

My stitching was horrendous and has risen to just 'bad' - but it's getting better. There are some DIY projects on here where the sewing looks perfect. Jealous but it shows me there's hope.
My stitching has much to be desired also, but there is only one way to learn. I agree, there is some serious talent on here, and great projects for sure. I am going to try some storage bags from the nylon I cut out of the back of my bag. If they don't turn out, no big deal, just more practice!