Mosquito killin’ frost yet in CO above 8000ft?

gibbons025

Lil-Rokslider
Not when I was still up there a few days ago. They were horrible at 10,000 ft were I was at.

Ryan Pent

FNG
They weren’t bad up there, but we still had mosquitoes up at 10k on Last Wednesday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t think we will get a cold snap like that too soon. Maybe towards the end of the month. Mosquitoes are flies are horrible down in SW Colorado. And watch out for the bees too, they’ve been vicious the last few weeks.

Backyard

WKR
Im at 9600 right now. They arent bad at all. Maybe a couple here and there. Supposed to freeze pretty good by Wed were Im at in the north

Ucsdryder

WKR
Next week will do the trick. This year has been ridiculous. The other issue are all the bald faced hornets. They are EVERYWHERE!!!!!

The skeeters have slowed, but still there for sure.
Lots of horseflies too...never ever had issues with them before.

Wiscohunter

Lil-Rokslider
Just got back from NW Colorado, they were still horrible in the dark timber up to about 9800 feet when it warmed up until late at night. Not as bad in the quakies and over 10k. Bald faced hornets and yellow jackets awful all the way to the top of the mountain which was 10,200'

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm not even sure what a bald faced hornet is and I've hunted CO for almost 40 years. I've never had any mosquito issues in September above 10k feet before.

kumplocke

FNG
10,500 yesterday. Sat and glassed for hours and not a single mosquito, few gnats it's all. It is supposed to cool off next week. Looking forward to it!

OP
darcytribe
Thanks for the reports everyone. I imagine this could probably vary a bit related to the amount of H2O in specific areas. I as out there and up high in July and it was truly oppressive. Felt like I was in Alaska! I’m bringing a head net with me when I head back out there next week for an elk hunt.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I'm not even sure what a bald faced hornet is and I've hunted CO for almost 40 years. I've never had any mosquito issues in September above 10k feet before.

You’ve never seen one of these before in Colorado? I must have seen 1000 last weekend, including 3 nests. They are above ground, about the size of a football. They are extremely aggressive compared to yellow jackets and they’ll hunt your ass down if you mess with their nest. They are as mean as they look!

Attachments

• 50D3133C-8F3B-4BB1-8B3F-105CB2267AC8.jpeg
    50D3133C-8F3B-4BB1-8B3F-105CB2267AC8.jpeg
    29.3 KB · Views: 40

Poser

WKR
SW CO: I spent the weekend above 12k. No mosquitoes, but it was surprisingly warm. We had a cold front move in Sunday and the low in Silverton (9200 feet) dipped into the high 30s. There is another front midweek expected to drop some snow on the 14ers.

On a side note, I saw a porcupine at almost 13,000 feet. Is it unusual for them to be in the high country?

I don’t recall ever seeing a bald faced hornet either...
13k seems very high for a porcupine, but I’ve seen them 11.5ish before.

Worst part was my dog attacked it, got his ass handed to him...took a minute to recover and then attacked again.
My dog was not a happy camper that night.