Mosquitos

Beendare

WKR
Lets talk Skeeters and tips to prevent them, on your self, your clothes and in your yard. There has to be some pretty savvy guys here when it comes to skeeters. Please post any relevant links/articles.

I've always used the Deet on my skin and permethrin on my clothes...with a bug zapper in the yard.
Deet is good but has its downsides....the zapper works soso. Has anyone tried Picaridin?

There are many products on the market supposedly better than the bug zappers with CO2 generators, etc- some here at this link
Compare Mosquito Traps | Mosquito Catcher Machine Comparisons
Anyone have personal experience with these^^^? I'm thinking of picking one up.....

Link to states info
State Contacts for Mosquito/Vector Control

EPA...which was a lot less informative than I would have thought but maybe I didn't dig deep enough
Mosquito Control | US EPA

Daniel_M

WKR
I dont use much in the woods, skeeters never really bugged me. When I do, I use Natrapel...both safe for expensive gear and kids. My property is partially wooded, so keeping the felled tree debris to a minimum where water can collect early season helps the long game, and a good spraying of Cutter bug control in the trees/weeds goes a long way.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've always wanted to have some sort of mini flame thrower that I could direct a single blast towards them and those horrible little black bugs that buzz around your head constantly at 11k feet.:mad: Noise or not.......I'm constantly clapping my hands together killing them around my head.

Kilboars

WKR
Thermecell in the woods and a camo head net.

At home in the yard a mosquito granular I'll sprinkle around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheCougar

WKR
+1 on a thermal cell. I just finished my turkey hunt, and I'm in a dry climate in AZ and I still got hammer by mosquitos. They don't bother my buddies, but a couple of mornings they were all over me. I didn't find the Permethrin on my clothes did anything. DEET works, but stinks. The thermacell keeps those little bastards a couple of feet away and they kind of "bounce" off the invisible bubble it forms. The little fuel canisters do last a really long time too. If weight isn't a big issue, then I'm running a thermacell.

ROJO23

FNG
we have had a company come out and fog our yard if we have an event with people coming over. It works really good for about 3 weeks. I think we typically pay about $125 for about 2 acres of coverage. We have a friend that has the same company do their yard once a month during the summer, and you never get bit.

Typically use cutter in the woods

Hunting I use a thermacell. I bought it several years ago before I went to Maine on a bear hunt. The outfitter required us to have one, and I had never heard of them before that. They work really well, and if i you run out of gas in Maine you will know it in about 30 seconds.

oldgoat

WKR
The zappers are purely entertainment value, mosquitos aren't attracted to them and they kill beneficial insects as well as non beneficial. Off made a really good Botanical repellent for a while but we can't find it anymore.

Whenever I can have my wife along they never bother me.
Something about having a sweeter option I think.

bpotter

Lil-Rokslider
As a trained entomologist, I would suggest keeping to dry climates w/out standing or slow moving water.

Or DEET on clothing and pyrethroid area treatments.

The quinine in gin and tonics helps with any potential malaria transmission. The lime helps with scurvy.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

tttoadman

WKR
Stay away from beer, booze and sweet drinks(easier said than done). Yes this also means those fruity mtn ops things too. Drink water, and lots of it. Then move on to stuff like deet and ??.

sendero72

FNG
I live and hunt in the Southeast. We have mosquitoes by the tractor trailer load. I use Sawyer 12 hour Picaridin for the skin and Sawyer Permethrin for clothes. Great products!

Dameon

WKR
I use Sawyer's Permethrin on my clothes and Sawyer's Picaridin on my skin. The Picaridin goes on smooth and isn't greasy and doesn't smell. I just came inside from practicing with my bow in the backyard. I think it is definitely time to start slathering on the Picaridin.....them skeeters were feasting so hard on my legs that it was hard to hold steady or concentrate. It's like I can still feel them crawling on me even after being inside the last 20 minutes.

blackdog of vt

Lil-Rokslider
I've experimented with both eating raw garlic and drinking natural apple cider vinegar. Both work and the vinegar is easier to palate. Mix in a glass with honey and water starting a few days before a trip and during. Repels ticks too. Works even better if you have someone else along for bait. :D
My wife makes a repellent out of essential oils that works well too. Clove, cedar, and citronella diluted with oil.

xcutter

WKR
Thermacell is the best skeeter deterrent. I pack one when squirrel hunting here in Indiana in August. They hardly even buzz your ears if it's turned on. I don't go without one when squirrel hunting. They make a bigger one for back yard use also.