Mossberg 940 JM Pro reliability

ID_Snow

FNG
Hey Folks,

This is the only 12 gauge I have ever picked up and immediately starting smashing clay with. It fit me perfect and pointed like a dream. Buuuuut, while mossberg denies any issues, some folks on the internet have been bashing its reliability. Does anyone on here own one? Or even better, shoot lots of ducks with one? Any first hand experiences?

Thanks!

I bought the 3 gun version with extended mag for competitions. It was the JM series. This was 5-6 years ago.
It shot flawlessly but pretty clean conditions at the gun range.
I got out of competitions and took over some property full of hogs. So I shot slugs and buck shot out of it. It lived in a muddy SXS for 4 years shooting nasty old muddy bullets. I even took in a Heli in Texas. Never cleaned it or oiled it. I even spray painted it because it was rusting from all the scratches on the barrel.
Saying all that it’s never jammed one time.
I changed properties. Some guy offered me good money for it and sold it.
Hope that helps

Lelder

Lil-Rokslider
The 930 JM had some issues if they weren’t cleaned regularly but the guys that run them at the local 3 gun matches by me love the 940 JM and I’ve never witnessed one malfunction

I ran 1 oz loads in my 940JM all dove season last year as a reliable test and it worked great. Made a plug out of an old carbon arrow. I did deburr the recoil spring before ever shooting it, had a sizable burr where they cutt it to length.

I can’t say anything good or bad about moss 940. I don’t own and I didn’t see it anyone running mach with it. Internet commandos can be really annoying. Since you already got it just run it. If it fails it’s easy find custom parts for it.

Last edited:

Vandy321

WKR
I can’t say anything good or bad about moss 940. I don’t own and I didn’t see it anyone running mach with it. Internet commandos can be really annoying. Since you already got it just run it. If it fails it’s easy find custom parts for it.
What are folks liking and has proven reliable in 3 gun? I'd like to dabble in it and would also like the capacity of the 940 for another home defense option, but am open to other suggestions, assuming similar price point. I don't want to spend M4 money

rootacres

WKR
I bought a 930 JM Pro years ago for 3 gun. Despite a mix bag of reviews at the time I still picked one up. Ive beat the heck out of it an have literally never had a malfunction. From the cheap loads to the hotter stuff they have all ran fine. What I will say, and I don't know if this made a difference, after purchasing the gun I took it apart to look at the piston assembly. I noticed the coating it came with from the factory on the outside of the mag tube seemed a little rough. Im sure over time it would have smoothed out but I went ahead and took some 800 grit sandpaper and smoothed it down. Never had any issues and I don't clean it as often as I should.