Most accurate 308 hunting bullet for a 16” barrel?

repmark

FNG
I’m buying a 308 CA Ridgeline Scout for hunting both WY and WI. I’m 73 years old and want a very light rifle. I usually do a load development with custom ammo but want other opinions on the bullet to use. I’ve had great accuracy with Berger VLDs with my creedmoor but speculative kills. I’ve had devastating kills with Hammer bullets with the same rifle but not the accuracy I want.

stevevan

WKR
I’m buying a 308 CA Ridgeline Scout for hunting both WY and WI. I’m 73 years old and want a very light rifle. I usually do a load development with custom ammo but want other opinions on the bullet to use. I’ve had great accuracy with Berger VLDs with my creedmoor but speculative kills. I’ve had devastating kills with Hammer bullets with the same rifle but not the accuracy I want.
Stay with the Hammers. Accuracy was good enough for spectacular kills. Sounds like it works.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What is the difference between the way the Bergers killed for you vs Hammers? What type of shot placement do you prefer?

Bigwilly556

Lil-Rokslider
Every rifle I own shoots the eld x very good and easy for load development. I'm building a 16.5 308 proof sendero as we speak. With the lower velocity and the med soft bullet I think it a good compromise depending on the shot distances and game in question. I hoping to get up to 2400 with varget and should be good to 450 yards or so.

robtattoo

WKR
As boring as it may be, I've had nothing but spectacular results with the basic, flat based Hornady 150gn Interlock. They just seem to be perfectly suited to .308 velocities. I've only used them on whitetail & hogs, but I've had immediate kills from 30 to 320yds with them. My Savage puts them into a ragged single hole group with both Varget & Norma 202

I tried the 150 Accubonds, pushed to the limits with CFE223 & had spectacular accuracy from 2 different rifles, but the 2 deer I shot with the load didn't have the same instant drop as the Interlocks.

OP
repmark

repmark

FNG
What is the difference between the way the Bergers killed for you vs Hammers? What type of shot placement do you prefer?
The 130gr VLD would fragment too early if it hit a bone. The fragments didn’t always enter vital organs. Some would enter and expand great but not always. The 124gr Hammer will expand, breaks bones and make an exit hole.

ElPollo

WKR
The 130gr VLD would fragment too early if it hit a bone. The fragments didn’t always enter vital organs. Some would enter and expand great but not always. The 124gr Hammer will expand, breaks bones and make an exit hole.
There’s a place for controlled expansion and monos. But a short-barreled 308 is no speed demon for tough bullets. Like the others here, I’d lean towards the 155 Scenar or 155 TMK.

Kindo

WKR
I know this isn’t a hunting bullet but I just got in from shooting my new Christensen MPR 16” .308 with factory Winchester Match 168gr MatchKings. So same action/barrel as your scout. I’m hoping to find some game kings in similar weight.

I just had some crappy “rests” the range had on hand so I think the horizontal stringing was me and there was some weird wind off and on as well but I was only shooting 100yds.

Velocity was a smidge over 2500 on average with lowest at 2492 all with my SiCo Hybrid on the end.

Upper R was 5 shots about as fast as I could shoot and lower R was 3 slow shots taking my time.

Attachments

• D40025BB-9905-46E7-BA02-F00C460F0023.jpeg
    D40025BB-9905-46E7-BA02-F00C460F0023.jpeg
    467.2 KB · Views: 30
  • D9A2FCCC-141E-4F25-A763-1C48FB5CEABB.jpeg
    D9A2FCCC-141E-4F25-A763-1C48FB5CEABB.jpeg
    436.2 KB · Views: 28

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I know this isn’t a hunting bullet but I just got in from shooting my new Christensen MPR 16” .308 with factory Winchester Match 168gr MatchKings. So same action/barrel as your scout. I’m hoping to find some game kings in similar weight.

I just had some crappy “rests” the range had on hand so I think the horizontal stringing was me and there was some weird wind off and on as well but I was only shooting 100yds.

Velocity was a smidge over 2500 on average with lowest at 2492 all with my SiCo Hybrid on the end.

Upper R was 5 shots about as fast as I could shoot and lower R was 3 slow shots taking my time.
They aren't marketed as hunting bullets, but don't toss them out just because of that. I know that others love the tipped match kings and shoot match kings. Depends on which side you fall on the "bullet construction debate" which is largely dependent on where you like to shoot game and how you hunt. Traditional bullet companies like Sierra and Hornady that sell hunting bullets won't embrace the "match bullet" for hunting. The ELDm and Tipped SMK are used all the time by hunters, even though Hornady pushes their "hybrid" match/hunting bullet like the ELDx in marketing and sales.

Kindo

WKR
Every rifle I own shoots the eld x very good and easy for load development. I'm building a 16.5 308 proof sendero as we speak. With the lower velocity and the med soft bullet I think it a good compromise depending on the shot distances and game in question. I hoping to get up to 2400 with varget and should be good to 450 yards or so.
I wouldn't think you'd have any difficulty getting those velocities. I've got a 16" tube and just shooting Winchester Match 168gr factory loads, I'm at a bit over 2500. One round even gave me around 1630 with no pressure signs.

Kindo

WKR
They aren't marketed as hunting bullets, but don't toss them out just because of that. I know that others love the tipped match kings and shoot match kings. Depends on which side you fall on the "bullet construction debate" which is largely dependent on where you like to shoot game and how you hunt. Traditional bullet companies like Sierra and Hornady that sell hunting bullets won't embrace the "match bullet" for hunting. The ELDm and Tipped SMK are used all the time by hunters, even though Hornady pushes their "hybrid" match/hunting bullet like the ELDx in marketing and sales.

That's good to hear and I'm not really on either side of the debate. With proper practice and confidence, I'd like to be able to use this gun on deer sized game out to 500 or so under optimal conditions but most likely 400 and in will be more realistic. I bought this rifle to shoot suppressed almost 100% of the time and be super-packable and adjustable for my kids to use when they come along.

I figure I should be able to get a 160ish grain bullet to around 2600+ fps with handloads as long as I can find a good node and then I should be set.

Which Hammer did you try? I have always had great accuracy with them. like all monos make sure they are stabilized, and faster the better.

I shoot 124gr Hammers out of my 16" suppressed 308 and its great.

OP
repmark

repmark

FNG
Which Hammer did you try? I have always had great accuracy with them. like all monos make sure they are stabilized, and faster the better.

I shoot 124gr Hammers out of my 16" suppressed 308 and its great.
I use 124g hunter hammers out of my 6.5 creedmoor and they put devastating hits on animals. I’ve decided to have a load development made up with 137g hunter hammers for the 308. I’m looking for a light recoil with a little more punch but maintaining accuracy to 500 yards.