Most accurate budget rifle

Whhood

Lil-Rokslider
The Ruger American Predators are very accurate and already threaded 5/8-24. The Tikkas are accurate as well but most aren’t threaded and don’t have the diameter to thread 5/8-24 without stepping up to the already threaded Roughtech/Veil models as mentioned previously. Either rifle will shoot. $450 for a less refined ready to go rifle or $1000-1150 for a more refined rifle. I actually like the trigger on both. Both can have prefit barrels swapped later if you want. Ruger with a nut, Tikka with a shouldered fit.

OXN939

WKR
I’m sure that this is a question that is asked weekly but I didn’t see if this exact topic had been discussed.
I’m looking for a budget rifle that will give me the most bang for my buck, accuracy being my utmost priority. I need to have a threaded barrel, preferably 5/8” and the lighter the better. Wanting the caliber to be a 308 because that’s what I have ammo for. Main reason I am wanting a budget rifle is because I am wanting to allocate most of my funds for a decent scope, would like to keep the rifle under $750 but it’s not set in stone. And want to swap hunting calibers to a 300 wsm or maybe a bigger caliber at some point and can justify a higher end rifle to the wife later on if I don’t go too crazy with this one.
I have really been considering a tikka but am honestly not loyal to any brand so any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Gonna throw a curveball here and say Howa 1500. Can find em used for around 500 bucks, and they tend to be one of the truest actions from the factory I've seen. Do a quick glass bedding job on the pretty decent factory hogue stock and you have a fun killing setup- that is to say, one that will save you the "fun" of buying and trying five different production rifles until you find a good one.

Gila

WKR
The Tikka barrels are cold hammer forged and free floated. Easily adjust the trigger down to about 2.25 to 2.5, put a good quality, lightweight scope on it and go huntin. I paid 600 for my T3 and now 17 years later, the T3x is going for 650. Before the pandemic you could find a used one here and there. Now finding a new one in the caliber that you want may take a while. The action is as smooth as they get.

A.hol1

Lil-Rokslider
The Ruger American Predators are very accurate and already threaded 5/8-24. The Tikkas are accurate as well but most aren’t threaded and don’t have the diameter to thread 5/8-24 without stepping up to the already threaded Roughtech/Veil models as mentioned previously. Either rifle will shoot. $450 for a less refined ready to go rifle or $1000-1150 for a more refined rifle. I actually like the trigger on both. Both can have prefit barrels swapped later if you want. Ruger with a nut, Tikka with a shouldered fit.

My Tikka T3 had plenty of meat on it for 5/8-24 threads.
I got it on sale at Sportsmans for $649. Tough to beat. Even if having threads put on it is over $100 in your area, a hard rifle to beat.
Lucky for me there is an old school smith who does quality work for cheap as a hobby near me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whhood

Lil-Rokslider
I guess I always think of the the lite and superlite versions of the Tikka. I’m not taking anything away from them. I love mine (wish it was a Roughtech) I am saying that for the money, every Ruger American that I have shot is either as accurate or more accurate than my Tikkas. Since the topic at hand is “most accurate budget rifle” and threaded, I think the Ruger being available at almost half the price wins. I prefer and would buy a Roughtech if it were my money but that wasn’t the question.

Reactions: BCD
OP
Datslab

Datslab

FNG
Thanks for all the replies. While I know it has its limitations, the 308 is a round near and dear to my heart and I’m just not sure when I bring a new caliber into my hunting game that I will ever completely part ways it. So I guess I just need to decide what’s more important to me; the extra money saved by buying a ruger that I can put to use in optics or the appreciated overall build quality a few extra hundred bucks will get me.

I would say a tikka t3x or a bergara b14. Those are going to be the best in that price range. You could get a ruger American for cheaper and I hear good things about those. I would say both of those actions better for long term use or accessorizing if you chose to.

RealMoses

FNG
I’m sure that this is a question that is asked weekly but I didn’t see if this exact topic had been discussed.
I’m looking for a budget rifle that will give me the most bang for my buck, accuracy being my utmost priority. I need to have a threaded barrel, preferably 5/8” and the lighter the better. Wanting the caliber to be a 308 because that’s what I have ammo for. Main reason I am wanting a budget rifle is because I am wanting to allocate most of my funds for a decent scope, would like to keep the rifle under $750 but it’s not set in stone. And want to swap hunting calibers to a 300 wsm or maybe a bigger caliber at some point and can justify a higher end rifle to the wife later on if I don’t go too crazy with this one.
I have really been considering a tikka but am honestly not loyal to any brand so any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
I bought a Ruger American Predator for the same reasons you are mentioning… and man have I been impressed for the price! The trigger is the weak point IMO. For me it’s fine, but I’m not a trigger snob. I think it could be smoother, BUT it is adjustable so you can at least get it somewhat close. I reloaded some 223 ammo and I was shooting tighter groups than some of my friends’ more expensive rifles. I would definitely recommend and it definitely outperforms the price tag. Now I don’t feel guilty about throwing an expensive gun in the back of my truck while cruising through the fields

TX_Diver

WKR
SWFA had the tikkas on sale at Black Friday last year and sportsmans periodically has 10% off codes available.

I just sold my .308 so if you need brass, dies, or ammo let me know as I’m clearing it out now.

Wetwork

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a threaded Thompson Compass in 6.5 Creed a year ago as a knock around, truck gun. $350 on sale. Its pretty rough in almost all aspects except one. It's crazy accurate. Sub moa for me at a hundred and easy hits on a 8inch gong out to 600. It's really rediculous as it out shoots my GF's CA that cost three times as much. That rifle is kinda a case in point its really just all about the barrel.-WW

NaturalJon

Lil-Rokslider
Every Thompson center I’ve ever shot has been stupid accurate. The venture specifically. Not the lightest but they shoot very well.

Zappaman

WKR
Savage Axis II's have all shot sub-moa off my lead sled- I have several in stainless I love. I've re-barreled a few, but the factory barrels just plain shoot great. Trigger mod is easy (not cutting the spring, but grinding down the back of the sear where the spring tuck's in)- an even, 2 lb pull is the result (*and still adjustable upward to 4 lbs if you want).

I have some nicer builds on this action too (custom barrels, stocks) and they are light weight and easy to work on. The latest versions now come with a better stock too- stiffer, but just as light as the first revs were. I've built several for friends here in Kansas and everyone likes them with a GOOD scope always put on them at around 7 1/2 lbs.

I find my 700s, 70s sit pretty in the safe lately, while I grab the Axis II's for most deer and coyote hunts now since they aren't safe queens... and they make the shot EVERY time. Simple, easy, accurate, and cheap- great gun in my book (especially when they go on sale around Thanksgiving (we'll see about this year though).

The Weatherby Vanguard 7mm RemMag (Weatherguard) is my NEW favorite "budget" long-range hunter at a touch over 9lbs with a Weaver Grand Slam (lighter) scope on it and 26" barrel ;)

mtnlomo

FNG
I haven’t shot a newer savage but my Savage 110 (?)that I got as a kid is a tack driver, shoots sub MOA.

That being said, Tikka would be my first pick hands down, but give the Savage’s a good look too.

+1 for Tikka. Had my .270 for something like 12 years and it has been solid the whole time. Plenty accurate for my uses and never had an issue with it. Good luck!

Gila

WKR
+1 for Tikka. Had my .270 for something like 12 years and it has been solid the whole time. Plenty accurate for my uses and never had an issue with it. Good luck!
Bought my T3 .270 in 2005. Haven’t done anything to the rifle has always held zero. I have never missed with it. Taken Pronghorn out to 460yds with full confidence. Bought a T3x in 300 win mag and it shoots great. I plan on buying another T3x next summer and put some “bells and whistles” on it. After market options are becoming more available for the Tikka rifles.

The problem I have these days with production rifles in general is the barrel twist. Everyone want to use heavy for caliber bullets and those barrels need a faster twist to stabilize. Tikka put a faster twist on some barrels this year, the 300 win mag was one of them. I don’t suppose it really matters though as the ammo market probably won’t change for years anyway.