Most accurate budget rifle

sdupontjr

WKR
I picked up an older T3 in 308 that was used in great shape as you see below, topped it with a Schmidt Bender T96 Polar 4-16x56 and its my go to rifle when I take off. Budget gun but not budget optic. I used my Browning Abolt 2 Medallion 7 mm mag since 1995 when I bought it new. Its still the queen of my safe but when I go, I take this one.

Attachments

• tikka.jpg
    tikka.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 70

Okhotnik

WKR
Tikka if you bump up your budget a bit. Like someone said if you want threaded you’ll have to go to the veil or roughtec. I just bought a veil in 6.5 prc that was right at $1100. I haven’t had a chance to shoot it yet but my other tikkas are very accurate. If you wanna stick with your $650 budget I’d recommend the Ruger American Predator. I got one for my daughter in 6mm creedmoor and that thing is crazy accurate! My nephew just borrowed it for a cow elk hunt and killed his cow today. Everything I put through it was under inch. I love that little gun.
the veil is a great gun for the money. love mine. Have 2 tikka ctr's too. Under $1000

My son's Savage Hunter shoots as good as my Tikka. Both are 6.5 Creedmoor's with handloads. His Action is a little rougher than mine is the only difference.

Bado20

FNG
I would recommend a ruger american, or a tikka if you can spend the extra money on the tikka. In my experience the accuracy is just a smidge better out of the tikka, but where the tikka seperates itself is in better feeding, and a 10 dollar trigger spring upgrade will give the tikka a much better trigger. FWIW I've owned both of these rifles, and I've shot a few of the other popular budget rifles in the Savage Axis, Remington 783, stock Remington 700, Bergara B-14. I also like the Browning X-bolts, I've found the trigger and accuracy is a hair better on the tikka but the X-bolts have better ergonomics IMO.

260madman

WKR
Howa 1500/Vanguard for me. A lot more refined than Savage and Ruger Americans. I’ve never had a turd. Currently have 4 but have had 3 others in the past. For $450 they are great. Some people complain about the Hogue stock but I don’t mind them and the recoil pad is very soft. If you can find an Alpine used I’d scoop it up, has a Bansner stock and cerakoted. I have one and love it.

BD1965

FNG
Remington LVSF if u can find one. Light 22” barrel, accurate out of box but weren’t produced for long. I have 7:08 shoots 1/2 MOA with only a trigger job and reloads

Jjmayes83

FNG
I have an older savage model 11 lightweight hunter with wood stock 5.5 pounds stock. can find them used well within your price range. And if you want new I bought my son the 110 lightweight storm in .308 5.6 pds and its a tac driver. The bolt was a little annoying when new it was grabby. But after shooting it a bit and working the action its smoothed out. Both me and my son love shooting it. Not to mention its American made which for some doesn't matter for others (me) it does. And I've seen the online as low as 650 but 700 is more common. Its not threaded but gun shop can take care of that.

Zappaman

WKR
Have to say, the last dozen Savage Axis IIs I’ve set up (over the last eight years) have all shoot MOA (or better, some .5) off my lead slead. Stocks are basic, but work fine off shooting sticks, especially the later stocks which are a bit stiffer than the original.

I have 70s and 700s that seem to stay in the safe more lately (some sold too), while I’m grabbing the Axis rifles more and more… good workhorse rifles. Very customizable too… my 260ai custom barreled, maple stocked, stainless Axis II shoots 1.5” at 300. It weights 7lbs scoped and loaded with a 25” Apache barrel. My favorite rifle for about everything lately.

Last edited:

Bado20

FNG
I have shot 3 Savage Axis and they all shot sub-MOA. That said, one of them has feeding problems and another would have occasional light primer strikes. Accurate yes, super reliable no.

Zappaman

WKR
I admit I pull ALL my guns apart (Remingtons, Winchesters, Rugers too) and I tweak triggers and check it through-and-through before I shoot it. I sometimes find issues and usually resolve them up front.

Same with my Savages and in my case, I’ve only had one that didn’t feed well from the factory. It happens. I got a Savage Axis 243 that had to be cycled a little slow to keep it from hanging up. Sold it off with full disclosure. Sometimes the weaver mounts also need attention, but that is usually a re-seller “problem” added-on after the factory. Loc-tite and a few days to set-up solves that one.

I’ve had an Axis brought to me that had a loose bolt once, might have been from the factory. Easy fix for a friend. After several hard mountain hunts and some extreme temps on several of my stock and customized Axis rifles… they have run flawlessly for me. But again, I inspect, check, and fire them before most hunts (and bring a back-up every hunt).

Had a Ruger fail on a hunt, extreme cold caused the rifle to slam fire when taking the safety off (on a trigger I used for 20 years without adjusting)… had it at about 3 lbs. so wasn’t tempting fate. Sold it because I couldn’t fix it without replacing the costly trigger assembly. Another 700 I had, broke an extractor on an colder deer hunt back in the 80s. Model 70 had a lower mag problem (for years, but I “worked” with it a while- then finally sold it off).

Anyway, Axis rifles have been extremely reliable for me (knock on wood), but no… they are not a $3k gun. I’ve owned some nicer (older) guns and the machining and actions were maybe a little better and everyone misses those nice old walnut stocks😉 But the barrels weren’t as good (on average) due to machining back then being what is was… and today it’s light years ahead with ALL Savages made in the last ten years.

So I guess I can only say I’ll take my “budget“ accurate (and reliable) as hell Axis or 110 rifles when fully checked out and maintained (over my safe queens) in the field any more. They get the job done without worrying about scratching them up. And damn… they shoot!

I shot my buck last month in the neck at 365 yards (ranged) with my customized Axis II 260ai. Dropped it on the neck bone with a 16” drop- right where it was supposed to go. Next bullet was in the chamber in under 2 seconds, but not needed. I’ve never had a cycle failure except for that 243 I bought the first year they came out (when they were the “Edge” back then).

My Axis II excellent experience anyway. And at about $400 today (for a stainless model), I can take it out into any weather, and push through cat claw without thinking about it. Damn…I guess I’m an official “fan boy” without knowing it🥴

Probably a tikka but it seems like lots of guys have positive feedback with the Ruger Americans.
the Rugers shoot, but the Tikka is a nicer feeling rifle all around... and better looking imo... tikkas don't look as much like a budget rifle... Tikkas are just tough to beat for under 1k

my other choice would be a Kimber hunter if they make the right cartridge, that's my favorite of the sub 1k guns

I have both a tikka and Ruger, hands down Tikka if you can spare a few extra bucks. Way smoother and better trigger! Both are extremely accurate

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
i forgot about the trigger, that's another big plus vs the ruger.... the tikka has a nice stock trigger, super smooth action, light, and almost all of them shoot really good

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
the Rugers shoot, but the Tikka is a nicer feeling rifle all around... and better looking imo... tikkas don't look as much like a budget rifle... Tikkas are just tough to beat for under 1k

my other choice would be a Kimber hunter if they make the right cartridge, that's my favorite of the sub 1k guns

I guess I don’t really consider the tikka as much of a budget gun as they used to be. I’ve seen those Ruger Americans brand new for 350.00, that’s a budget. Tikkas are over 800 dollars now. When I got my first tikka, it was a stainless t3 lite and it was like 369.00 at sportsman’s warehouse. A few years later they were in the 550.00 range then 3-4 years ago they went up to 800.00. Now that make those dolled up models which are like 1200.00

Zappaman

WKR
I REALLY like my new Vanguard 7mm RM. Comes with a 2 yr. MOA guarantee (with match ammo) and at $600 and change, it edged out the Tikka (which is lighter, but with the recoil on a 7mm RM I don't mind the extra weight at about 8 1/2 lbs. scoped) I got the Weatherguard model and so far I'm impressed with these Wyoming built Vanguards.

They also have a excellent range of calibers to chose from- WAY more than the other guys selection wise. Worth checking out for something between the Tikka and Ruger.

Gen273

WKR
I have never seen a Ruger American that wasn't a tack driver. They are cheaper than the Tikka and made here in the USA as well.

I know I am in the Rokslide minority, but I am just not a big fan of the Tikka; give me the Ruger all day every day over the Tikka. However, to each their own.