Most awesome gear gimmicks you've seen???

So the other day I was on the REI site and found this....
http://www.rei.com/product/792725/rei-flyweight-siliconized-nylon-manual-umbrella

While it may be a decent idea for some, I would find myself having a hard time keeping a straight face if I saw somebody in the back country with an umbrella. Maybe I have a bit of a sick twisted humor....?? ;) Please forgive me if some of you rock a neon yellow umbrella in the back country, I'm sure you have your reasons. :)

What other items or "gimmicks" have you found out there related to hunting/backpacking gear???

Mike

While it may be a decent idea for some, I would find myself having a hard time keeping a straight face if I saw somebody in the back country with an umbrella.

Many ultralight thru-hikers will choose an umbrella over rain gear because of the weight savings. I don't think it would be viable for hunting, but people hike from Mexico to Canada with them every year and successfully keep the rain off.

As for gimmicks I have seen, I would say Crocs and Nalgene bottles. Both are heavier and way more expensive than the alternatives.

OP
HellsCanyon
I have uses for the nalgene, much more resilient than bladders.

A large gatorade bottle is just as durable and lighter! Little cheaper too...

I've never stepped in a pair of Crocs but have heard they made good camp shoes. One thing my hunting partner picked up this year is a pair of those five fingers (toes) shoes... After checking them out they look like they might be awesome for the final approach with archery gear in hand. Much better than doubled up wool socks!

Mike

dotman

WKR
A large gatorade bottle is just as durable and lighter! Little cheaper too...

I've never stepped in a pair of Crocs but have heard they made good camp shoes. One thing my hunting partner picked up this year is a pair of those five fingers (toes) shoes... After checking them out they look like they might be awesome for the final approach with archery gear in hand. Much better than doubled up wool socks!

Mike

But man are they goofy looking!

I see no point in a nalgene when you can just pick up a water bottle. Most water bottles are plenty durable and much less in weight. I say anything that fails on me is a gimmic.

But man are they goofy looking!

I see no point in a nalgene when you can just pick up a water bottle. Most water bottles are plenty durable and much less in weight. I say anything that fails on me is a gimmic.

only purpose i see with nalgene is if you use filter that hooks up to the threads... .02

2rocky

WKR
I have uses for the nalgene, much more resilient than bladders.

This is why I use Nalgene bottles, the 1L kind:

1. They don't get punctured, unless you crush them with a semi.
2. You can add boiling water to them and they don't melt.
3. Most filters readily attach to the bottle mouth, for water filtration.
4. Boil water, pour it in the bottle, toss it inside your sleeping bag on a cold winter night.
5. To drink from a bottle, requires that you usually have to stop walking (at least for me), thereby requiring that you take a short break.
6. If you don't use a filter, just submerge the bottle in a stream. It will fill almost instantly.

7mag.

WKR
The Butt-out, the Gerber Blade trader, the new knife with led lights that shine on the blade, the special strap that you would use to pull your rifle or bow up into the tree stand (because apparently, a rope just won't do), blaze orange jump suits, pants, hats, gloves, etc. because a vest doesn't quite achieve that glowball look.

dotman

WKR
This is why I use Nalgene bottles, the 1L kind:

1. They don't get punctured, unless you crush them with a semi.
2. You can add boiling water to them and they don't melt.
3. Most filters readily attach to the bottle mouth, for water filtration.
4. Boil water, pour it in the bottle, toss it inside your sleeping bag on a cold winter night.
5. To drink from a bottle, requires that you usually have to stop walking (at least for me), thereby requiring that you take a short break.
6. If you don't use a filter, just submerge the bottle in a stream. It will fill almost instantly.

The only thing listed that a normal water bottle will not do is only be punctured by a semi, yeah yu ou can puncture a water bottle easier but not that easy. The one thing you can do with a water bottle that i'm not sure naglene will do is you can actually boil water in it. Th bottle will deform but it is doable.

The squeeze filter will work on a water botltle.

Curtis C

WKR
I have to agree with 7mag on the Butt Out. NAHC sent me one of those to field test. I couldn't bring myself to shoving that thing up a deers arse, seemed quite disrespectful.

C