Most battery per ounce?

Does anyone know what usb charger packs the most juice per ounce? I've got an Anker powercore with 20,000 mAh that weighs 14oz.

That's about 1428 mAh per ounce. Is there anything better?

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Im running the same one Freebird. Ive had really good success with it. Im curious about this also. Be a good Rokslide Staff article to put something like this together.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Im running the same one Freebird. Ive had really good success with it. Im curious about this also. Be a good Rokslide Staff article to put something like this together.
Agree, an all around test of performance vs heat, cold, shock, weather resistance, accuracy of their mAh. Maybe cliff test them?

Dinger

WKR
I posted this in another forum....we were looking into the most bang for the buck out of power packs. It is not exhaustive and pertained to what was discussed. Costs are in AUD, times by 0.75 to get USD......for those of you still entrenched in the 16th century there are 28.3 grams to the ounce. ;)

Minty.jpg

I had a wee look at a few power options out there and did a quick table of the relevant stats.

The minty tin romps it home based on mAh by weight and mAh per dollar...but it is expensive to run, those flash lithium AA's run a $5 each, so each 'recharge' cost $10. You can sub in 18650 or cheaper AA's or run rechargeable equivalents, but the obviously the stats will change. Given the clear leading margin though I think it would still be a winner.

I run a pair of the cheap Cygnets and they fared fairly poorly when stacked up against some competitors...they were free however! I was disappointed with the Poseidon, I expected it would do better.....it is/was on my wishlist and I'll be reviewing that.

OP
freebird134
for those of you still entrenched in the 16th century there are 28.3 grams to the ounce. ;)[/I]

Oh goodness. Is this how the rest of the world views America lately? I work in metric exclusively, but I couldn't do a conversion from memory to save my life!

Thanks for the list. I'm intrigued by the minty tin!

Pro953

WKR
My wife and I have gone through quite a few of these portable chargers in the last couple years. I do not know/understand the technology very well, but one thing we noticed is the lighter ones generally lasted through fewer charge/drain cycles. I believe all rechargeable batteries like this only survive so my cycles and some how the weight and life of the unit seem related if that matters to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dog812

WKR
I have the larger 26800 anker. It works great.
I also have another variable voltage one that charges my Garmin rino. The rino needs 9v to charge the battery.
Anker used to make the variable one.... But some reason they stopped.

Dark energy says they are releasing a 20,000 this fall.
Wonder how it will stack up. I like the 10,000 but I just wish it was bigger. I burn through the 10,000 in a hurry it seems

ChrisS

WKR
I have the larger 26800 anker. It works great.
I also have another variable voltage one that charges my Garmin rino. The rino needs 9v to charge the battery.
Anker used to make the variable one.... But some reason they stopped.
Which one is this? I've been looking for a decent variable one. Dark Energy says that theirs will, but I don't think they had any idea what I was talking about.

dog812

WKR
Google anker 9v... It's a Astro version I think. It does 5v, 9v, and 12v.

dah605

Lil-Rokslider
I would be curious to see them tested against each other in some form of consistent fashion. How much power goes in and how much comes out. There will always be a delta due to heat and electronics, but which ones match their specs is the question to answer.

-David

dotman

WKR
Which one is this? I've been looking for a decent variable one. Dark Energy says that theirs will, but I don't think they had any idea what I was talking about.

I have the old Anker that will charge 9v, it is a little smaller in size then an iPad mini and is a very good unit. I've dropped it a few times and have had zero issues. I use it for my garmin rhino as well.

Their new model I also have is the 20100mah and it's really good and very compact but doesn't have 9v.

I've heard Dark Energy is coming out with a 20000mah but I bet you could buy 4 of the Anker 20100mah units for the price the DE will be.

I don't have any of the mentioned, but I assume the expense of the Dark Energy is from the ability of the charger to hold a charge for a crazy long time, it being practically indestructible (they shot the dang thing), higher water proof rating, and the higher amp output. Again speculation on my part, but just from a first glance that is where I see some possible monetary differences.

I'm going a different route this year with bare 18650 battery cells. Currently using a high quality Panasonic 3400mAh that weighs in at 1.61 ounces per cell.
Also have a single cell charger/pack for dual purpose use. With the cable its 1.77 ounces.
3 cells gives me 10,200mAh @ 4.83 oz
Charger w/cable @ 1.77 oz
Total 6.6 oz = 1,545 mAh per oz.
And that number will only go up with added cells if I want more power.

The biggest thing for me is using cells that are tested and proven out by a third party and are known to be reliable. Luckily the vaping community puts in a lot of testing on 18650 cells and has done the work on capacity and discharge curves. We really have no idea what kind of cells these companies are putting in their battery packs. They could be quality, they could be crap. Who knows?

This system as a whole, is a little clumsy and not waterproof like some. (A mute point for me because all electronics go in a dry sack) But I think the ability to add or subtract capacity, plus the fact if one cell fails I got more as backup.
Time will tell I guess, I may go back to a battery pack at some point.

Dcoryn

FNG
id say the price listed for the dark energy is high at 133$. I bought mine this spring direct from them at a sport show for 70$, at that price they cant be beat in my opinion. For the ruggedness and durability they really are the cream of the crop