Most comfortable base camp sleep system

Hunting from the pickup and going back everyday and wondering which route would be best for sleep system. Was thinking multiple routes like cot, bedroll, zenbivy, blow up mattress? What is the most functional and comfortable from those that do these types of hunt as I’m new to base camp hunting.

Bronc

Lil-Rokslider
A good cot with a pad, canvas and flannel full size sleeping bag, and a full size pillow

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Stay away from any air pads that aren't well insulated, you'll freeze. A large cot, plenty of foam, a comfortable large rectangle bag, and your normal pillow. I sleep better in my setup than I do at home. I average about 20 nights on mine during our archery season.

mlgc20

WKR
I have a Cabelas Lounge Cot paired with a Thermarest Luxury Map. Add a real pillow. Almost as comfortable as my bed at home.

bascott1

WKR
I run the xl outfitter cot with a therma rest pad and an xl cabelas 20 degree bag and full size pillow. Sleep like a log.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Foam pad on a cot and you sleep like a baby👍Combine with wood stove in a tent and you are ready for the next day

mudcat81

FNG
I am currently working on this setup as well. I will be using my disc o bed cot and a Thermarest Mondoking pad. Will use my everyday pillow and I am looking for a sleeping bag but will use my Sierra Designs backcountry bed if I don't find something else before my hunt.

Mable300

Lil-Rokslider
A nice wide cot..cabelas extra wide, memory foam pad, real pillows and a slumber jack rectangular bag. I got a 20 degree rated bag I use for wall tent hunts, can’t go wrong.

xcutter

WKR
Cabela's XL Outfitter Cot with Cabela's self inflating insulated pad. Walmart Coleman 30 degree bag and a real pillow. Sleep like a baby. We have a stove in our tent as well.

Bmoore

Lil-Rokslider
I’m also curious about sleep system in base camp. I’ll be doing my first elk hunt next October and trying get a gear list started. What degree sleeping bag would you guys use for an October elk hunt in Colorado. I’ve never been so I’m not sure how cold it get. We will be setting up wall tents by the trucks so weight is not really an issue for pack in or anything. I know the guys I’ll be going with all have cost so I’ll probablly grab one of those too. Just curious what you guys are using.

I slept in my truck/camper set up for six months when I retired and moved to Colorado. I used a cot and mattress and it worked very well.

I’ve upgraded my cot to a helinox and use a thick black yoga mat to sleep on. I cover it with a fleece blanket and sleep under a couple more. I also use a real pillow, makes a huge difference.

Tsnider

WKR
If I'm sleeping at the truck I sleep with a diesel heater I built into a pelican case bolted to the side of my tent. Its expensive but I recommend this route to anyone who sleeps at their vehicle often. I camp at least 40 nights a year besides hunting so it may not be worth it to most. Memory foam is a nice retreat from the woods If I come back to shower or take have a beer out of the fridge :D

Aw man, without a doubt, my Kodiak Canvas 10x10 with a Coleman cot and buddy heater hooked up to a 20# propane bottle is the way to go. I almost feel guilty every time I get in it. I only need my 20 degree Sierra Designs down bag if the temps dip below 20. Otherwise my fleece bag and a wool blanket are all I need.

tdot

WKR
Upgrade to a Sprinter van with a king size mattress! Its more comfy then home!

Loebs

Lil-Rokslider
An XL size cot with a good insulated pad. mine is 3.5 inches thick. I put a full size rectangular 20* bad on top with a real pillow. All of this in my wall tent with our big wood stove. I sleep like a rock and can stay out until we run out of food.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk