Most Comfortable Vehicle for Forest Roads

Hi All,

Assume a non-sxs/4wheeler with aired down tires to reasonable level common on forest roads, from your actual experience, what's the most comfortable rig you've driven?

For this discussion don't need to consider space for hauling or towing, but pure ride comfort on bumpy forest roads while still being able to handle some level of adverse traction (some mud/snow but not super deep).

Cheers,

s

CorbLand

WKR

Poser

WKR
No pickup truck that I’ve ridden in is particularly enjoyable taking grated corners on FS roads. Obviously, long wheel bases are worse. That being said, I don’t believe I’ve ridden in a truck with tuned suspension on one of these roads.
I’m the only person I know who actually takes the time to air down for these roads and that can really take the bite out of those corners. I’m driving a 4Runner, however, I’m tempted to say a Jeep with 35s May be there best option in terms of enjoyability on these roads.

dtrkyman

WKR
My Grand Cherokee is quite a nice ride and handles rough terrain great for a comfortable vehicle.

Airing down tires is always a bonus, have to keep a bit more pressure in the Jeep it likes to tripod on gnarly stuff.

FlyGuy

WKR
Idk if it’s the best, but one year I flew to WY and rented a 4 door Jeep with good sized tires and it was amazing. I was flying down those rough roads, lots of exposed rock, didn’t matter. My buddy had a long wheel based 3/4 ton and he would show up to camp an hour later than me b/c he couldn’t get over 15mph w/o loosing teeth.

“What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of spirit.“

Chief Seattle

I drive my wife's Subaru Outback off road whenever possible. It is approximately 7,429% more comfortable than my 2014 3/4 ton, and I've pushed it through some moderately rough and rocky stuff. Nasty enough ruts and rocks will deter me, though, as there isn't much sidewall on the Outback tires.

Man I had an 86 mazda b2000, 91 lumina eurosport, and an 89 gmc short bed when I was 16 that never felt bumps! Now I feel every bump. Maybe speed is the missing variable.

h2so4

WKR
4-door Jeep, aired down tires, sway bar disconnected and if you want extra points, the 2.5” lift from AEV probably helps a ton, too. I’ve made some epic bombs on dirt roads in my rubicon with the sway bar disconnected.

Poser

WKR
Tahoes, Yukons and suburbans of the 2000’s they have independent front suspension and a coil setup out back. With a decent set of shocks they we’re pretty smooth in my opinion.

My 2nd vehicle is a mid 90s Tahoe and it sucks on FS roads -no weight in the rear so grated turns through it sideways.

mmac

WKR
Land cruiser or LX have good suspensions for washboard and if you upgrade the shocks they are plush compared to a pickup. I think the gx and 4 runner may be similar 5 link suspension, but not sure.

Poser

WKR
I drive my wife's Subaru Outback off road whenever possible. It is approximately 7,429% more comfortable than my 2014 3/4 ton, and I've pushed it through some moderately rough and rocky stuff. Nasty enough ruts and rocks will deter me, though, as there isn't much sidewall on the Outback tires.

Seems to be a common setup in mountain towns: husband drives a Tacoma, Tundra or 4Runner, wide has a Subaru: Subaru gets driven on FS roads and powder days. I wouldn’t be a fan of one on the chunky stuff or epic mud puddles, but they sure do handle these tooth jarring turns well. Just need some 10 ply tires.

JFK

WKR
Stock suspension on all vehicles is pretty bad. A Tacoma with dialed suspension is hard to beat for ride and function. My buddy has one with Fox remote reservoir shocks front and rear, coil overs in the front, new leaf pack in the rear. Raptors probably ride pretty nice too but they are $$$.

fngTony

Okay Moderator
Staff member
My forester is phenomenal on those roads both in comfort and handling with the full time awd.