Most efficient way to send messages with no cell signal ??

Sapcut

WKR
I am looking for the most financially efficient method or device to send simple messages while elk hunting with no cell signal. I was going to get a SPOT but saw where it would cost like $200 per year or $165 for just the month of September hunting when I would need it. So I am looking for other options and thought I would ask those that know more than I.

Thanks

Trial153

WKR
Inreach you can get a monthly plan fairly cheap if you not sending a lot if messages.
I get unlimited and its about 70 a month. The cheap plans are less that half that but it's only about 40 texts a month then you pay an average. I am not counting texts. I get the unlimited and forget it

fmyth

WKR
Garmin inreach SE+. Purchased it at Costco.com for $249. Monthy service plan is $17.95 and includes 100k in SAR Insurance. Below is what is included with my plan.
  • Unlimited SOS
  • 10 text messages/month
  • Unlimited Preset messages (predefined messages set up on the website)
  • Tracking points: $0.10 USD for each point
  • Overages are $0.50 USD for each text message over the 10 messages allowed in the monthly plan period.
  • Text messages include free-form sent messages and received messages.
  • Tracking points refer to the individual "breadcrumbs" sent by the inReach at user-selected intervals ranging from 10 minutes to 4 hours.

rayporter

WKR
the garmin inreach safety plan mentioned above is what I use. I leave it on all the time and if out for any reason It is there and ready. for the months I don't turn it on, I figure I can go over a lot and still be dollars ahead when I use it. and besides there are really very few months I am not outdoors somewhere that has poor cell reception. many city folks may find that highly unusual but it is true here.

GregB

WKR
InReach, and you can bluetooth it to your phone which makes it easier to send messages. They have an annual fee of $25 plus different options for monthly service plans, you can turn it off in the months you are not using it.

Last edited:

dla

WKR
I am looking for the most financially efficient method or device to send simple messages while elk hunting with no cell signal. I was going to get a SPOT but saw where it would cost like $200 per year or $165 for just the month of September hunting when I would need it. So I am looking for other options and thought I would ask those that know more than I.

Thanks
Wow! I thought Spot had a monthly plan now?
some bathroom reading material
ACR Resqlink, McMurdo Fastfind, etc. PLUS are your cheapest way to signal an emergency.
If Spot had a monthly (which I thought they did) then the Gen 3 messenger would be cheapest way to let's loved ones know where you are at and how you are doing. If monthly then SPOT is the cheapest way to send text messages. And if Spot does not do monthly, then Garmin Inreach Mini is the cheapest way to send texts messages.
I have also seen two other products using the irridium network, but I can't remember their names.

OP
Sapcut

Sapcut

WKR
Yea SPOT is not doing very well at competing in this market space. I called SPOT direct and he told me it would be $200 per year or $165 for the month of September.

Reactions: dla

dla

WKR
Yea SPOT is not doing very well at competing in this market space. I called SPOT direct and he told me it would be $200 per year or $165 for the month of September.
I see. Spot gen 3 doesn't have a monthly plan - they have monthly PAYMENT plan. Kinda sneaky the way they word it.
The SPOTX has a true monthly plan and it looks like 1 month would cost you $40 for Flex Basic, and of course you have to buy a SPOTX ($199 - $250). I can't see any additional charges in there - hope not.