Most expensive piece of gear you've lost on a hunt?

Danomite

Lil-Rokslider
I once had my long underwear, thermal top, and warmest wool sweater all tied around my waste while elk hunting. I went bushwhacking through some oak brush and realized it was gone once out. Never found it. It was probably only worth about $200 but as a broke college kid with most of the hunt to go it was a bummer. Then a couple years ago I was hiking into a bivy spot for 3 days and sat down and took a chew. Left the chew there and had to go the next 3 days without it. Not expensive but a bummer.

ODB

WKR
My kid lost my Filson leather gloves this year. I can’t say I’ve ever lost anything.

I did “lose” a times watch in the hunting cabin one year and although the alarms kept going offset 4am, we didn’t find it for several years. So, technically didn’t loose anything, just couldn’t find it. ;-)

505Wapiti

WKR
Lost a downrigger to the bottom of the lake that wasn't locked in the bracket all the way. Spent the day fishing with one instead of two.

wmr89

Lil-Rokslider
Lost a leupold gold ring HD spotting scope. My best guess is that when we were switching vehicles it got placed on top of the truck and fell off. It was a bummer because it was a blemish model I got for $700 and replacing it would have been close to $1400.

Whitetoptom

Lil-Rokslider
Knives, gloves, hats, calls, seat cushions, headlamps, flashlights. Notice multiples of each one. I'd lose my ass if not part of my body. I've done alot better the past few years. A friend of mine worked for the utility and they did a thing called circle of safety. Had a magnet that you put right above your door handle. Protocol said that you made a full lap around the truck before you got in and moved. I've tried really hard to drive that in my head. Whether driving or hiking/hunting/fishing etc. When you stop always make a lap to check that everything is packed up and secure.

elkliver

Lil-Rokslider
As many folks have lost high end range finders, binos and spotting scopes.... you'd think i would get lucky and find one hanging on a tree about every hunting trip

TheGDog

WKR
Nikon Acculon Rangfinder.

Almost lost an on-board quiver on the hike-out! Thank Gawd I noticed it was missing and backtracked and found that one!

The little Leatherman Skeletool the one that's just the knife part. You have to grind-off the little nub they put on the pocket clip to make it able to open a bottle cap... otherwise when you're on a sit... when you get up your shirt will catch on that stupid nub and bye-bye small knife!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The more I think about it, there has been several things over the years. A camera on an elk hunt in Colorado, a few learhermans, some good pocket knives, bullets, hats nothing really pricey though . The year I moved to AK, I dropped my Ruger 44mag off my raft, luckily the river was slow moving, rock bottom and only about 9 feet deep. I dove for it about 20 times before finding it.

OverlandOnTheFly

Lil-Rokslider
Nothing crazy, this year my grunt call, and some how dropped a broad head lit arrow on a hike out. Getting dark not secured in my quiver correctly.
I thought I lost a expensive Sitka mitten/glove but it was stuck to the top of the drum in the dryer, phew!

Jbxl20

WKR
Had a tonneau cover on my truck and didn’t see we Left the tailgate down. Heard my friends bow case fall out and hit the road. Turned around threw it back in the truck and my bow was nowhere to be found. Someone else found it before we did

Couple weeks ago I hiked out of the duck swamp and noticed my gun sock felt very lightweight... and was empty!!! Somehow the sweet Beretta 20 gauge I grew up shooting and inherited from my father has come out of the gun sock and was at the bottom of the swamp.

I was devastated and spent the next couple of hours rooting around in the swamp. I went to the hardwear store and bought a 300# magnet and tied it to some cord to do some magnet fishing. Dragged that magnet around with me for a while and still nothing. When I was about to give up I looked down and just happened to catch a glimpse of my gun's barrel. It still makes me happy thinking about that moment of relief. Took it home, took it all apart, and cleaned the heck out of it.

Robster

Lil-Rokslider
Just recently. I had a custom knife made by J. Neilson before he became a Journeyman Smith and a master smith. Well before forged in fire tv show.

It fell out of the sheath at some point. Never found it, didn't even know where to look for it.

Tanner W

Lil-Rokslider
Not expensive, but when I was a kid trout fishing with my grandpa he gave me one of those cow bell indicators to put on my rod, well he didn't tell me to clip it on until AFTER i casted out. His facial expression was priceless, when he realized the splash wasn't from a hail mary cast but instead his cow bell half way across the lake. He still reminds me of that story when we go fishing.

Leica rangefinder, left it on a fence post I’m pretty sure a long ways back in Missouri breaks in like 08 or 09. one of the really early models can’t even remember what model it was

Expensive pair of Oakley sunglasses while stalking antelope with a bow

Dropped one of my favorite elk calls during archery season, a Primos hot lips. Didn’t hunt that spot until 3 years later and found it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtnkid85

WKR
Over the years Ive lost several cameras and a Henry survival .22.
I now tie a loop of orange cord with reflective ribbon in it on every thing I possibly can! Also I religiously look back down at where i was sitting after I get up from glassing, taking a break, dropping my pack, eating lunch, taking a dump, what ever!

robtattoo

WKR
Bright cerise pink duct tape has saved me a bunch of money over the years! I mean, yeah.... people look at me weird with little pink tabs or stickers on all my gear, but I still HAVE all my gear so....

Laramie

WKR
Trigger stick after a successful deer harvest one year. I set it down somewhere during the stalk and honestly didn't remember until I was 30 miles away and completely off the mountain. It was a great deer and worth losing the stick.

Scooter90254

Lil-Rokslider
Lost my platinum wedding ring twice..... Turns out my hands shrink considerably when they get cold.

Once down an ice fishing hole. replaced it then 9 months later lost it again field dressings a deer.

Come to think of it ended up losing the wife too..... And that was expensive. Think I'm winning.

Last edited: