Votes: 22 37.9%
  • Bullet

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • C.O.A.L.

Votes: 17 29.3%

• Total voters

IDHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
Between powder type, powder volume, bullet selection and COAL which variable is the most important to accuracy? In other words, if you had to keep 3 out of the 4 consistent and could play with the other one to get the best accuracy which would you choose?

tdhanses

WKR
Good thing this isn’t an issue we’ll have. Even if limited to one powder, one bullet and COAL we still have plenty of various adjustments to get a decent setup.

I don't know as I could Rate these in order of accuracy? But when I'm trying to work up a load I usually play with powder charge first, followed close by seating depth.

rayporter

WKR
the bullet
and related to it is the coal.

changing bullets can make a moa rifle into a 3 or 4 moa rifle

the bullet can take a sub .1 rifle to a .3 rifle just by seating the same bullet from a different lot no.

barrels and bullets it where its at.

gphil

Lil-Rokslider
I believe all those factors can equally affect your accuracy

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

mitchellbk

Lil-Rokslider
I ran into a guy on the mtn during deer season and we got to talking about reloading (he does, I know nothing) - he said for factory ammo about every 5th round that comes off the assembly line has an inconsistent overall length. He told me to measure it sometime, and that it does make a difference in accuracy. I don’t have a caliper so I’ve never done this myself. But I’ve wondered for guys like me who shoot box ammo could filter out the inconsistent cartridges if it would be noticeable at the range.

JP100

WKR
They all matter but I think COAL and seating depth is the biggest player for accuracy.

I have at times be 'roughish' with powder chargers, nothing crazy, but a little over a little under here and there and it makes little difference, but get the seating depth wrong and accuracy falls apart real quick.

In my opinion at 100 yards just overall consistancy matters. As long as you are close it is typically ok. Powder charges in the given accuracy node is probably number 1.

Once you stretch it to 1000 (or 300 to 400) everything starts to matter as the negative impact is amplified by flight time. Your ES matters as the slower and faster bullets will separate more from your average. (Actual distance not MOA or MIL) Everything in the poll can affect your ES to some degree so they all need to be consistant.

If you want to shoot .2 groups at a 100 all day long, as some say, then once again everything matters. Including and probably most importantly my eyes.

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
I'd have to say powder choice also. I have tried a few that just will not work in certain guns. Once you find the right powder, it all starts making sense.

My vote is for powder. If you do not have the correct powder for the velocity range of the cartridge you are reloading for everything else is moot. Having the correct powder would also cover the powder volume. Yes bullets are important, and so is COAL, but if the powder doesn’t work for the cartridge, seating depth and bullet choice is not going to fix the problem.

Just my .02. YMMV

Ryan

You can't really pick one. They all have their different impacts on ammo quality.

A certain powder type or bullet may not shoot well in a certain gun.

Inconsistent charges will spread out your ES causing inconsistency at distance.

Seating depth can effect group size quite a bit which translates to bigger groups at distance.

Being consistent in every aspect of it from one batch of ammo to the next is key.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

cornfed

FNG
Everything matters. There are alot of guys out there doing it wrong. I loaded alot of shells before I realized how little I knew.

UtahJimmy

WKR
What about CBTO rather than COAL? Variance in the tip of a polymer or soft point is VERY difficult to account for. Ogive gives a more consistent point of measuring vs overall length.

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
Very good point. I do not even measure COAL anymore unless I'm checking for magazine feed length. All my measuring is CBTO.

How do you handle adjusting the COAL when you are dealing with a detachable box magazine that limits how long you can go? Do you just go with the max length that fits into the box?