Most realistic gobble call?

bradb

WKR
I just gobble on a diagram. Not perfect but have used it more then a few times to kill birds, i doubt really do it a lot. I had the others and see no point in caring them and i carry a LOT of shit.

squirrel

WKR
Hands down the "HAINT" It IS a gobble, it doesn't mimic a gobble from a distant perspective. Difficult for most to learn. Took me 3 years to get fairly good with it. Most try for 20 minutes and give up It would appear that they are off the market and used are in great demand. You would think some smart guy with a lathe would step in.

+1 for using a diaphragm call. It takes a little practice but even the worst sounds are enough to get a tom to answer. I have used a box call and had a shaker. I eventually downsized my turkey hunting calls to just three diaphragms. I just like the fact that I can do everything I need basically hands free and also freed up space in my packets and pack.

hobbes

WKR
I don't use one, never saw much of a need. I suppose it may be one more tactic to have on hand, but never felt it was something that would change the outcome often enough to make it worthwhile. I've never heard a shaker call or a box that I'd mistake for a gobbler unless it was high wind or I was moving. I've never heard the Haint call, but have heard some guys that were really good with a diaphragm.

OP
bowieknife50
I've never been a big user of a gobble call but since Michigan has made fanning illegal I thought I might try it to stir up a henned up Tom. I've gotten birds to gobble to one years ago but that was back before turkey hunting was cool, when the birds were dumb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the primos shaker works fine but once i figured out how to do it on a diaphragm i ditched that thing. just one less thing to carry around.

Jimss

WKR
I just use my own voice to gobble! I've had a gob of toms gobble back at me so I must sound pretty good?

Holocene

WKR
I hunt in South Carolina and Oregon every year and started using the gobble tube a lot last year. Especially when birds are being coy or silent in an area I know holds turkeys. I use it alongside heavy cutts and yelps to simulate two toms warring over a hen. Think bar fight. I also use it in the evening to communicate with toms going off to roost and sound like a roosting tom myself. I believe this tactic chums the air for my morning hunt and sometimes have turkeys show up the next day at the exact spot where I yelped and gobbled the evening before. Their memory seems to last through the night.

Two models that work are the Quaker Boy Thunderbird and Primos The Gobbler. They sound good to my ear, but are not as loud as using a diaphragm call. Still, they carry at least 200-400 yards depending on whether working in thick timber or open canyons. Wind will dampen them further.

Liked some of the suggestions here, am good with the diaphragm call and would like to try the Haint. But there's still a place for a gobble tube since you can run a diaphragm call and gobble tube simultaneously.

Just my two cents.

KHNC

WKR
Hands down the "HAINT" It IS a gobble, it doesn't mimic a gobble from a distant perspective. Difficult for most to learn. Took me 3 years to get fairly good with it. Most try for 20 minutes and give up It would appear that they are off the market and used are in great demand. You would think some smart guy with a lathe would step in.
I sold mine. Worked it for year and still couldnt master it. But i did kill a couple of rios with it. It sounds the best if you can do it.

squirrel

WKR
[/QUOTE]
I sold mine. Worked it for year and still couldnt master it. But i did kill a couple of rios with it. It sounds the best if you can do it.

Did you try the double tongue technique or the machine gun technique?? i FAILED TERRIBLY UNTIL GOING FULL AUTO WITH THE MACHINE GUN TECHNIQUE

I still "stick" the call way too often under pressure (when it counts) ;) I wanted to master it so badly I just kept after it, still a work in progress

KHNC

WKR
Tried the machine gun method. Sounded decent but still frustrating lol

howl

WKR
The only truly realistic gobbles I have heard from a person have been natural voice. I haven't heard anyone on a call that actually sounded like a turkey. You can get close enough, but they burn out on such high pressure tactics pretty quickly.

Consider how the first time you hear that call-produced gobble it sounds really good. Then as it is repeated you start to pick apart the differences from that and a real gobble. Same thing with turkeys. If they don't soon hear that same "sort of a gobble" sound from a live gobbler, they will disassociate it from real gobbles.

I just gobble on a diagram. Not perfect but have used it more then a few times to kill birds, i doubt really do it a lot. I had the others and see no point in caring them and i carry a LOT of shit.

I do the same. Just shake my head real fast while blowing air across the call. It looks dumb as hell but it works lol. From a distance it sounds pretty realistic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimss

WKR
A lot of guys use different shock gobbles to get toms to gobble....crow, owl, coyote, etc to name a few. A lot depends upon whether you are just trying to locate toms or actually call them in.

bradb

WKR
I have used it to call toms in several times. Its way down the list of options for calling them in, but it for sure can be used successfully.

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
I use a diaphragm call. It's not perfect, but I think it rivals a jake gobble with some imperfections here and there. I've fooled hunting partners with it, so it cant sound horrible.

I've have good results with it the last 6-7 years. I usually use it in combination with a jake decoy when risk of calling in another hunter isn't an issue. I think throwing a gobble in occasinally works better than putts and purrs for getting those call shy birds to finish...until everyone else starts doing it