Most repeatable anchor point

What do you guys believe to be the most reliable anchor point? I recently switched back to an index release and I hook my knuckle under my jaw, up high by my ear. I have a long draw length and this seems to work well, but if I'm wearing a beanie I don't feel as solid. Not an issue for 20-40 yards but it got me thinking. Might tinker around with the nocktoit and Silverback again this summer, and I am curious how everyone else finds the most consistent anchor point.

I run multiple releases, backstrap, b3 hawk, nocktoit, Silverback and I shoot the hawk the worst. Some days its on fire, and some days I will drop an arrow out of the group even when the shot felt great. Can't tell if it's the consistency of the release, or my anchor point.

Shadowcaster

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot with an index release and my index knuckle at the base ends up against my ear lobe. You're absolutely correct that a beanie will throw you off. My buddy and his buddy were shooting and couldn't figure out why they were off so far. My buddy switched his chew to the left side, and he was hitting dead on again. Just threw his anchor off that much, his buddy had the same result.

I do index knuckel at the base of the ear lobe. Nose on string and corner of mouth. I have discovered though that if I'm wearing a hoodie or face mask this earlobe anchor gets screwed up, so I think I'm going to use face paint this year. Bc other anchors aren't as effective. I also take my hoodie off right before I go on a stalk but I can't do a face mask anymore.

To answer your question, I utilze nose button on my string to nose, fingers on jaw line and stay mindfull of not searching for the peep, it should line up perfectly with no head dropping.

But these are just parts of the equation. Front shoulder, bow hand angle, grip torque, leaning back, feet position, relaxed or tense release hand- on and on with so many moving parts.

OP
E
Try adding a kisser or nose button until you get it nailed down (or forever).
I have a nose button, and really like it! Other than through a face mask, I can't feel that dang thing ever through a mask haha

OP
E
I shoot with an index release and my index knuckle at the base ends up against my ear lobe. You're absolutely correct that a beanie will throw you off. My buddy and his buddy were shooting and couldn't figure out why they were off so far. My buddy switched his chew to the left side, and he was hitting dead on again. Just threw his anchor off that much, his buddy had the same result.
I wish it wasn't the case because a lot of my hunting requires a beanie LOL. I usually just pull it up on one side and then I'm good again.

OP
E
I do index knuckel at the base of the ear lobe. Nose on string and corner of mouth. I have discovered though that if I'm wearing a hoodie or face mask this earlobe anchor gets screwed up, so I think I'm going to use face paint this year. Bc other anchors aren't as effective. I also take my hoodie off right before I go on a stalk but I can't do a face mask anymore.
I'm thinking of going back to facepaint again this year myself. I really dig the hood and face mask on my sitka lw hoodie but I just can't get my anchor where I want it for linger shots with the hood and mask up.

I'm thinking of going back to facepaint again this year myself. I really dig the hood and face mask on my sitka lw hoodie but I just can't get my anchor where I want it for linger shots with the hood and mask up.
yup i love the core lw hoody too but i had the same exact problem, missed a chip shot on a doe earlier this year and it was a wake up call that i gotta do something different. my anchor was way off. I could anchor with theV between my thumb and index on my jaw line like some people but thats never worked for me and i get weird tears tuning from it.

Last edited:
OP
E
yup i love the core lw hoody too but i had the same exact problem, missed a chip shot on a doe earlier this year and it was a wake up call that i gotta do something different. my anchor was way off. I could anchor with theV between my thumb and index on my jaw line like some people but thats never worked for me and i get weird tears tuning from it.
That is my fear, luckily it worked for turkey season and I made a good shot but I almost need a bigger nose button with sharper tips to feel through the mask. Mine is wore down, so maybe a new one would help

PGLMike

FNG
To answer your question, I utilze nose button on my string to nose, fingers on jaw line and stay mindfull of not searching for the peep, it should line up perfectly with no head dropping.

But these are just parts of the equation. Front shoulder, bow hand angle, grip torque, leaning back, feet position, relaxed or tense release hand- on and on with so many moving parts.
“Mindful of not searching for the peep”

That is a big one. Do you feel like you are shadow boxing with your head movement… the nose button helped with this a bunch. Every now and then I catch myself not trusting my anchor points and searching for the peep.

If my nose touches the string and the edge of my lip is grazing the string that’s good then it’s just make sure my frame is solid and I’m not cheating my sight picture out of the peep at all. Level float and squeeze. Wise guy release

OP
E

That is a big one. Do you feel like you are shadow boxing with your head movement… the nose button helped with this a bunch. Every now and then I catch myself not trusting my anchor points and searching for the peep.
I would say I'm not usually searching for the peep, but if anything in searching for the same spot for my knuckle to hit my jaw bone.... some days it's rock solid and some days it feels like I can't find it at all. I also notice that I was pulling my sight out of the middle of my peep, so I brought my sight in one set of holes to really fill up the peep and it sure seemed to help the random left and right. My bow is in for new strings and cables this week because I finally has a serving on my cables go, so hopefully I can rework my peel height a little bit and get it just right. I felt slightly crunched before and I'm not sure if it was just the height or what.

I have a nose button on that set of strings (gonna keep the string as a backup) so I need to get another one here asap.

OP
E
If my nose touches the string and the edge of my lip is grazing the string that’s good then it’s just make sure my frame is solid and I’m not cheating my sight picture out of the peep at all. Level float and squeeze. Wise guy release
I think this is part of my issue with my new bow, the string angle is slightly different so I have to play with my anchor point to find a spot where the string hits my nose, corner of my mouth and I have a solid piece of real estate to rest my knuckle. Ideally I'd like to be able to shoot my hand helds and my index releases interchangeably

I think this is part of my issue with my new bow, the string angle is slightly different so I have to play with my anchor point to find a spot where the string hits my nose, corner of my mouth and I have a solid piece of real estate to rest my knuckle. Ideally I'd like to be able to shoot my hand helds and my index releases interchangeably
I shoot a halon 6 32 inch axel to axel.

I may switch to a twin turbo. But I like the 28 to 32 inch axle to axle. 29 inch draw. You might try different sized peeps or a hi viz sight ring around your sight

I guess you could say that sometimes. For me personally, it is just me getting lazy in my shot and not staying true to form. I should most consistent when I repeat everything perfectly. I strive to keep my head and neck vertical with no creeping into peep. Same with front shoulder. Same with hips. On and on the game of bone on bone and locked in position is critical.

The only time my anchor or even peep seem off is at super short or long distances. Maybe you set your peep up for 20 yards, but then at 60,70,80 and more it seems "UNNATURAL"? I try to set peep up at 35 yards so my 15 thru 70 yards feel normal.