Most Sturdy Trekking Poles Under $75

Owenst7

WKR
This is helpful. Since I haven't used trekking poles before, I'm unaware of what precise force compromises them. I can be careful not to get them stuck into objects. I mostly want the support of putting my weight on them if needed to stabilize.

I really appreciate all the comments!

Also the "some dickhead who was drunk driving" comment is still making me chuckle. We could maybe even use more description of that story.

I'd rather not publicize it, especially with authorities being involved.

Big city Californians heading in to remote areas of Nevada to do drugs and be idiots.

Bending loads is what will cause catastrauphic failures with either materials. CF is more elastic than Al, but will shatter and possibly be useless (depends on where, I just had to extend mine longer since they broke on end). Al will often bend and be possible to bend back. Apples to apples, CF will be stronger per unit weight than Al. I prefer CF because it isn't cold like Al. It really just comes down to preference because there's a lot of good products on the market.

My advice would be to start with something cheap but usable and figure out what your preferences/uses will be, and then shop for something more expensive if you feel it suits your needs better. I'm picky about the grip shape/configuration, and I hate twist locks, so I'd be upset if I'd gone out and bought a $150 pair of poles only to find out that they weren't my preference. I tend to collect gear and loan it to friends frequently, so that plays in to my logic here.

An REI garage sale, local ski swap, pawn shop, etc can be a good place to find some cheap ski poles if you don't need them to be adjustable. Non adjustables are going to be stronger and lighter. I use mine to pitch my tarp though, so I need adjustables.

Last edited:

Grambo

Lil-Rokslider
SMC Capra 100cm Ice axe . A little higher than you wanted @ $94 dollars but the sheep guys love them. FWIW

JDZ

WKR
You can probably find the Cascade Mountain Tech poles on Amazon if you don't have Costco or aren't a member. I did that about 2 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black Diamond with flick locks, would get the best your budget can do. Never have failed me while others have

Akicita

WKR
I have used and destroyed countless "Trekking / Ski poles in my lifetime. The ones I currently use and endorse highly are the G3 Via aluminum poles. I am extremely hard on gear but these have held up for me year round while hiking, hunting, skiing, ski touring and ski mountaineering. My wife has several Leki versions but we have found the plastic friction lever breaks easily in cold weather. Other than that she has failed to break them under heavy use.

Aluminum bends - carbon breaks. . . I have reshaped these pole on more than one occasion!

G3 Via Aluminum $70 to $79 most G3 Retailers

C5pjd3P.jpg

MJsOP0U.jpg

M2QBGZg.jpg

Last edited:

Disco14

Lil-Rokslider
You can probably find the Cascade Mountain Tech poles on Amazon if you don't have Costco or aren't a member. I did that about 2 years ago.

Just bought a pair last night based on everyone's reviews on here!

EastMT

WKR
I have the black diamond trail backs, used the same pair since 2011, I like the flick locks for putting a lot of weight on them. I'm 6'5" and not skinny, I've put a lot of weight on them and so far so good. I'm thinking of buying another pair just because of the abuse on these and use the old ones for summer. $79 on BD website, probably a sale somewhere cheaper

I haven't tried the Costco ones yet but I may have to, not many bad words for them anywhere

"If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

SMC Capra 100cm Ice axe . A little higher than you wanted @ $94 dollars but the sheep guys love them. FWIW

Ha, ha. Just bought one and I’m really looking forward to using it, but as far as trekking poles go, I’ve had many pair and currently own 3 pair, all in carbon fiber flick lock. Do yourself a favor and go with the Cascade’s that Costco sells, period. Light, durable, and VERY reasonably priced! Buy them and don’t look back! For the money it will be one of the best investments you’ll ever make.

Last edited:

stratofisher

Lil-Rokslider
Was going to say watch massdrop.com and they have been running really good deals on BD carbon poles. Was able to get them for 99.00 vs 169

KMT

WKR
The Costco ones are the real deal. Or you could pay 5-6 times as much if you are concerned about the logo.

NDGuy

WKR

My store doesn't carry them being in ND the biggest mountain we have in Fargo is the sledding hill. I always try to find them on their website but they never show up..

NDGuy

WKR
I ordered a pair of Cascade Mtn Tech online from Walmart 2 days ago for $22.95.

Nice find thanks for the heads up. Any difference with these vs the costco ones besides the cork grip? I believe these are the quick locks vs the twist locks right?

Owenst7

WKR
The CMT/Costco poles come in several configurations. You can see them all on the CMT website. Amazon is a decent place to get them if Costco doesn't work for you.

You can probably have them shipped to your store for free if you are a Costco member.

Last edited:

hooker

Lil-Rokslider
I would really like to be able to rely on my trekking poles since I hunt rugged terrain and have steep, off-trail, downhills with weight. It would almost be better not to have them if there is a reasonable likelihood that they break. I'm not as worried about weight. Budget is firm at $75 max.

I would like to use them as a shooting rest also, either by using the straps or a DIY strap to add support when holding them together. I would assume that something sturdy for downhill hikes would also be a decent rest, but wanted to add that as well.

My research has suggested that aluminum, with the non-twist locks (called quick locks and many other names), are more sturdy. Possibly better to go with a pole that only breaks into two pieces rather than three.

I've looked at the black diamond trail back, trail, trail sport 2 or and montem ultra strong. I have heard some positive reviews about the Cascade Mountain Tech aluminum trekking poles as well, but I have been thinking the more expensive ones would be better (just because of the general "you get what you pay for").

I appreciate any suggestions.
Easton Hike Carbon 3 3-Section Trekking Poles - Camouflage
These are gonna be your Huckleberry brother! I paid $69 for the set at Sportmans and I'm telling you they will be all you'll ever need!