Most unusual thing you've seen in the woods

snopro176

WKR
Long time ago when trail cameras were just coming out, in the middle of the night two older dudes in beat up blue Jean's and paid shirts strolled by my camera, 1 stopped in front of the flash to show me his butt crack. But what was odd was they appeared to be out walking a house cat, with a collar on and eveything...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

snopro176

WKR
Found these license plates nailed about 15' feet up two trees maybe a half mile apart on a wilderness trail "California 1930"
f478c6b9f9bede35bb6a310d9fa06801.jpg
79168043eb4773840f99bbe5852d9221.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

StevenB

FNG
Found a Two Man ultralight plane crashed nose down. It was in the early 90’s. Passenger and pilot perished. They went missing two years earlier. Have some photos of the plane.

Oddly the passenger had the same last name as me. It happened in a wilderness area in Western Oregon. Old growth forest. Not many deer or elk. Lions even have a difficult time locating what’s left to eat.

Stumbled on a helicopter left out in a meadow a ways of some road on timber land years ago. An old wood base guitar that'd had been out there a while, next to no paint left on it.

Recently found this. I don't know what language it is but I'm guessing it's some sort of tombstone. Anyone guess what language it is at least. Close to two miles in.
e4fc9d41716ab12851c10b1d12cf256c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks like Sanskrit to me.

WKR
A steam locomotive in the jungle in Panama. This was back when the Army had jungle school down there in the ‘80s. I couldn’t see any old track or evidence of the railroad bed. The jungle had reclaimed the area.

Rumor control says that somewhere in Panama there’s one of those M551 Sheridan light tanks at the bottom of a swamp, still on it’s drop pallet. This happened on the night drop during the ‘89 invasion. I wonder what the thought will be if someone finds that thing a couple hundred years from now.

Last edited:

FlyGuy

WKR
I like this old thread, glad someone kicked it back up!

Here’s one I found fairly recently in the Sam Houston National Forest. Apparently this fella has a lot of followers…

7d5d29162d88bd1dc4e65a2a24ff5750.jpg

1510c498f37ad19969068c0a588e5101.jpg

4ddd68433dbb6387bcbbb3ffb21ea44e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Found a Two Man ultralight plane crashed nose down. It was in the early 90’s. Passenger and pilot perished. They went missing two years earlier. Have some photos of the plane.

Oddly the passenger had the same last name as me. It happened in a wilderness area in Western Oregon. Old growth forest. Not many deer or elk. Lions even have a difficult time locating what’s left to eat.

Were you the guy that called it in? That's wild.

A pair of WWII half tracks in the Ruby Mountains. There was some mining equipment around and some small tailing piles, so I thought they were using them for ore hauling. The next year I ran into an old gentleman named Thorgerson up in that valley walking with a rifle slung on his shoulder. It came out that he had owned that mine in the ‘60s, and had to abandon it when the road washed out. I have pics around somewhere, and I’ll post them if they pop up.

Yarak

WKR
Was deer hunting some years back walking a ridge when i see what i think is a human skull below me in the bottom of the hollow
I walk down there and its a egg....A big egg laying in the middle of the woods in the middle of no where
My first reaction was to look up thinking WTH kind of bird would lay this thing
It had teeth marks on it like a dog or yote had tried to break it open
Got home with it and done some research and found it to be a emu egg

tacotim

FNG
awesome thread
i was walking one afternoon with a thermal scanner, saw a bright animal at the base of a tree but couldn't make it out very well with the binoculars. it was absolutely still and i thought it was probably a dead coyote. i slipped up to about 10 yards of it. it was a red fox just taking a nap!

In 1979, my project was mapping the gold placers in the proposed Domelands wilderness area near Kernville, California.

As I came around a bend in the river there was a very nice looking woman sleeping naked on a rock in the middle of the river. I admired the view and kept walking down the river just doing my job.

smoke

Lil-Rokslider
Curious as to what some of you have seen either in the woods hunting or hiking. I'm sure some people have some great stories to tell. I'll share my story first: A couple years back while bird hunting with my Dad, my English Setter went on point. As we approached and kicked the brush, the bird took off flying straight towards the road with my dog hot on its trail. Since it was flying towards the road, we could do was watch to see where it would land. Just as it was about to fly over the road, the bird fly straight into the power lines and fell, dead as a stone. We still laugh about it to this day seeing my dog come running back with the Pheasant in his mouth and a confused look on his face.
had the same thing happen to me! Bird died right next to our vehicle!

I had forgotten about this one. Inner tubing on a river in western WA with my wife and kid and another couple and their kid. Come around a corner and there’s two nice looking girls sunbathing in the nude on a gravel bar. We startled them and they sat upright. Kind of awkward… I tried to break the tension by saying something like “Nice day for swimmin eh?” But my four year old nailed it and made everyone laugh (including the sun bathing beauties) when he stated the obvious. “Look dad! Those ladies have boobies!”

StevenB

FNG
Were you the guy that called it in? That's wild.
My parents were hunting the area for the first time in two years. They were camped in their van for the weekend hunt. They were hunting separately but after the first day they’d both seem the crash sight at different times. Saturday late afternoon they drove to the nearest town and called the county sheriff to report their discovery of the crash scene.

They were asked to stay where they were camped and a sheriffs party would meet them Sunday morning. It turned out they waited till about 4pm Sunday and then there wasn’t time to head out to the crash sight. My folks had some topo maps and with that everyone headed home.

For the years before the crash I’d hunted the forest near the crash site to the point that I’d given it a name. “The Crossing”. The reason that name was given, there is a stream that was easy to cross in only one place. Above the crossing there was a large rockslide with boulders the size of cars and steep clay walls. Below the crossing there is a steep rocky slope with a ridiculous amount of fallen logs. In short the crash site (The Crossing) is a natural funnel.

The ultralight was probably a result of a fast down draft and a very in experienced pilot. (Taking lessons to be licensed to have a passenger on board.) The field of rocks with a stream could have turned the lift into a quick down draft. The ultralight had a parachute that wasn’t deployed.

The people who knew the victims of the crash included the selling rep. I was in contact with him by phone. He and a number of other volunteers removed and carried out ultra lite parts. The engine, parachute, & Landing gear. (The guy who carried out the engine must have been a beast.

I was in my late 30’s and didn’t like seeing the crash site in the wilderness hunting area. I dragged out the fuselage. It took a few hours and the month was September as I recall. I took it in for aluminum scrap metal.
Now what’s left is covered with 30 years of branches and fir nettles.

Here’s the Only article I‘ve found on line.