Most unusual thing you've seen in the woods

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
i-9Gnn9T5-L.jpg

While hiking with a buddy....we found a human skull up in the mountains way off the beaten path here in Utah (on the Front). We contacted the sheriff's department and guided them to where we were. 3 hours later and freezing our butts off...they showed up on the scene and started their investigation.

2 years later, I get a call from a homicide detective stating they actually figured out who it was and were able to contact the parents to let them know that their son was finally found after being missing for 34yrs. The person was a 24 yr old man from the state of WA. who went missing while out traveling around Utah after graduating from college. They figured it out by DNA samples of the bones and a database of missing people being compiled in Texas. It was around the same time as the John Wayne Gacy murders, but they ruled it out as not being one of his.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article...ed-through-John-Wayne-Gacy-investigation.html

i-9Gnn9T5-L.jpg

While hiking with a buddy....we found a human skull up in the mountains way off the beaten path here in Utah (on the Front). We contacted the sheriff's department and guided them to where we were. 3 hours later and freezing our butts off...they showed up on the scene and started their investigation.

2 years later, I get a call from a homicide detective stating they actually figured out who it was and were able to contact the parents to let them know that their son was finally found after being missing for 34yrs. The person was a 24 yr old man from the state of WA. who went missing while out traveling around Utah after graduating from college. They figured it out by DNA samples of the bones and a database of missing people being compiled in Texas. It was around the same time as the John Wayne Gacy murders, but they ruled it out as not being one of his.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article...ed-through-John-Wayne-Gacy-investigation.html

I bet that meant a ton to the parents of that young man so many years after he went missing!

Shraggs

WKR
A few years ago I shot a very nice buck late season here in Michigan. Caught him a bit back so waited till, and it was very dark as I left my blind. Once I found blood in the field I knew it went into the swamp. So I walked back to truck leaving my pack and rifle, and just grabbed knife and a two wheeled cart I use when alone.

As I got within 20 yards of him, heard some growling.
Shined my light and saw a coyote in between me and the deer and two others off to the left and right of me. My pistol, was in my pack in the truck 3/4 mile away. If I went back for it was afraid they would rip him up.

So I figured, coyotes either get shot at or they see surprise and fear in humans. I decided to start cusing at them. As loud as I could I yelled you m___ f___ and other words - get off my deer. Omg, it was like a cartoon, they looked up and at me, then each other and then boogied out there!

I chuckled as I gutted him. Got all my meat and that monster is on my wall.

Black bear hunting in Ontario archery. My buddy shot one just before dark so we rounded everyone up and went in to track. He felt good about the hit and we had good blood so we cruised right along for a hundred yards or so. All the sudden no blood so we thought we just overran it and went back to last blood. We all thought we had walked by the dead bear but while everyone looked around for it I got on hands and knees finding blood drop by drop in the leaf litter. I crawled for a while and then suddenly I was face to face with a bear head. It wasn't a whole bear, just a head. I still remember how it didn't even startle me because it was so weird to see just a bear head sticking out of the ground. I just sat there about 5 seconds before I even said anything, trying to process. Turns out something, likely another bear, had started eating it and cached it when it heard us coming. Highest level of eerie I've experienced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2ski

WKR
i-9Gnn9T5-L.jpg

Just goes to show it's worth our time to phone something like that in. Someone will appreciate it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Speaking of being miles from any road and seeing signs of civilization - I hunted some public land in Colorado last year that allows for open range grazing. You could be miles from anything, up into some nasty brush on the side of a cliff an inevitably when you go to sit down you have to avoid the cow patties, it was bizarre for a kid who grew up hunting ducks on dairy farms.

JWP58

WKR
I'm glad I'm not the only one that listens to coast to coast on occasion.

On occasion? I usually at least tune in to see what's on Wednesday through Saturday night, every week. Not much else on at 0100hrs. Depends on what's on if I listen through the whole show, but sometimes its interesting.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I was scouting out in the middle of the mountains and came across this cross. Probably a good three miles from the road and no houses or old homesteads around that I know of.

When I was a kid my father and I was spring gobbler hunting and came across a KKK meeting. It was probably 75 guys in their hoods in a small field a good mile or more from the road. Talk about freaking a kid out
View attachment 96297

I put a cross with the ashes of somebody very close to me out there in the middle of nowhere just like that. I don’t think that’s strange at all, it actually gives me a warm feeling to see that pic.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Sounds like you should tell a story...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Sure, I used to have access to an area where I had to walk about a mile up a trail from where I parked. About 200yds up the trail was an old Jeep that a lot of the locals used to hang out at after they got paid and went to the liquor store. Up about half a mile past that was a place where there had been an old campfire ring with sort of an outdoor concert place.....in not describing it well, basically big concrete steps made for sitting while watching a play or a speaker down at the bottom, likely from an old church camp or something but long abandoned and covered in graffiti. Place always gave me the willies walking past it.

One day I was headed up on a Wednesday after work, I used to look for mike deer on week days because work finished at 3 and nobody else was out.

I got up to the “amphiter” or seats and there were about 10 bums, completely naked just having a free for all, empty liquor bottles, dudes, haggard women, clothing everywhere, weed smoke etc etc....I just walked past it but I watched it for 3-4 minutes, it was like a train wreck, I couldn’t look away.

Sure, I used to have access to an area where I had to walk about a mile up a trail from where I parked. About 200yds up the trail was an old Jeep that a lot of the locals used to hang out at after they got paid and went to the liquor store. Up about half a mile past that was a place where there had been an old campfire ring with sort of an outdoor concert place.....in not describing it well, basically big concrete steps made for sitting while watching a play or a speaker down at the bottom, likely from an old church camp or something but long abandoned and covered in graffiti. Place always gave me the willies walking past it.

One day I was headed up on a Wednesday after work, I used to look for mike deer on week days because work finished at 3 and nobody else was out.

I got up to the “amphiter” or seats and there were about 10 bums, completely naked just having a free for all, empty liquor bottles, dudes, haggard women, clothing everywhere, weed smoke etc etc....I just walked past it but I watched it for 3-4 minutes, it was like a train wreck, I couldn’t look away.

Dirty Mike and the boys.

jspradley

WKR

Must've been a good show if it only took 3 minutes to finish... lol