Motorcycle Hunting

robtattoo

WKR
How did you mount the rifle case? Been looking at options but havnt seen anything great. I have a cycle racks rack on mine with a 65 tooth sprocket.

I fabricated a set of 'pannier supports' that fit on my Tusk rear rack (they'll work with the CR too) They're 2 harbor freight Hang Alls, bent to the correct angles, inserted & screwed into 2 lengths of PEX water pipe then bolted to the rack.
I then welded a flat plate (24ga?) across the support side to give me a bolting point for the rear of the boot. That's literally it for the back end. I drilled 2, ¼" holes through the plate & boot & that's that.

For the front, I drilled a ⅝" hole through the frame gusset, then I use an (I think) 8" carriage bolt that passes through the top hole at the front of the boot, with a ½" fender washer sandwiching it. A 6" length of ¾" sch.40 PVC as a spacer, another ½" washer up against the gusset & a nylock nut clamping it all together.

It's honestly as ropey as hell & looks like boiled ass, but it held up amazingly well to numerous 'spontaneous dismounts'
It has enough flex that is not getting any jarring shock, either riding or not riding (😏)

Last edited:

Matt5266

WKR
I fabricated a set of 'pannier supports' that fit on my Tusk rear rack (they'll work with the CR too) They're 2 harbor freight Hang Alls, bent to the correct angles, inserted & screwed into 2 lengths of PEX water pipe
Thanks. I might try to fab something sturdy up, or just keep packing it on my back like I've been doing ha.

idahodave

WKR
I ride with my rifle in my Kifaru sling on the nastiest, single-track trails Idaho has to offer. I'd rather ride technical trails without a rifle at all,...but the Kifaru isn't too much of a concession when hunting. A rifle strapped to a bike is soon to be damaged in my experience. Our first instinct when crashing (inevitable at some point on a bike) is to protect ourselves...which I why I want the rifle attached to me.

For all of you considering a TW200...I'd respectfully suggest looking at a CRF230 or the newer CRF250F as an alternative. They are MUCH more capable trail bikes, and much lighter than the piggy TWs. Seat height difference is negligible as well, which is what most of you are drawn to with the TW.

Dave

TWs are great for riding down unimproved, two-track roads if that's what you're looking for. If you want to ride designated single-track USFS trails though, it's not even close...the CRF is a MUCH better choice.

tmorty

FNG
this past year was my first year doing this, i own a drz-125 i was able to access miles and miles of ground you can only access by mountain bike or dirtbike or foot. dirtbike was hands down the only way to go and has changed my entire ideaology on how to hunt this area i am in. i ended up tagging out on a great archery mule deer and was able to get my buddy on a 185" mule deer as well.

nphunter

WKR
I ride with my rifle in my Kifaru sling on the nastiest, single-track trails Idaho has to offer. I'd rather ride technical trails without a rifle at all,...but the Kifaru isn't too much of a concession when hunting. A rifle strapped to a bike is soon to be damaged in my experience. Our first instinct when crashing (inevitable at some point on a bike) is to protect ourselves...which I why I want the rifle attached to me.

For all of you considering a TW200...I'd respectfully suggest looking at a CRF230 or the newer CRF250F as an alternative. They are MUCH more capable trail bikes, and much lighter than the piggy TWs. Seat height difference is negligible as well, which is what most of you are drawn to with the TW.

Dave

TWs are great for riding down unimproved, two-track roads if that's what you're looking for. If you want to ride designated single-track USFS trails though, it's not even close...the CRF is a MUCH better choice.

I agree with this, I use a gun bearer, or if archery hunting strap the bow to my backpack. The TWs are great for mountain roads and flat open terrain, they absolutely suck on technical stuff. I finally ditched my TW after this year and am switching to a Montesa 4RT Trials bike with some trail mods and a seat. The TW's are just too heavy and way too underpowered for their size, these things make them dangerous in technical stuff. Even geared way down so you can walk next to them in first gear they are underpowered on long uphills, you're either going too slow rapped out or underpowered when upshifting.

There are a lot of great trail bikes made, Sherco, Montesta, Beta, KTM and other companies are making great trail bikes, something like the Montesa 4ride would be awesome if a person is looking for a new bike for technical stuff. Older bikes like the Honda TRL's, and some of the lighter bikes geared toward youth or women are also great trail bikes. I feel like TW's are about the worst off-trail or technical trail bikes ever made.

Reactions: TVW
I wonder how many broken bones this thread is going to create.

Everyone reading this who has never ridden a bike even on flat ground:

“I’m getting me a motorcycle for my elk hunt!”

Crunch. Lol
I think about that too when I read these threads. The first time I put a 60 pound backpack on and rode a single track trail it was eye opening and pretty nerve racking within the first half mile or less. Not too mention I was more tired when I got to where I was going than if I had just hiked haha. It got less tiring the more I did it tho, just like riding single track without a pack was. If anyone is looking to do this style of hunting and you're not proficient on a dirt bike on single track already then you have some serious practicing to do before you put a heavy pack on. And riding a street bike or Harley on pavement is completely irrelevant to riding in the mountains so don't think that'll help either.

I also agree with others in strapping your rifle or bow to your backpack and not to the bike. You will destroy your weapon in the first mile on the trail when you inevitably dump the bike.

Edit to add: Didn't realize I already commented on this thread a couple years ago and basically just repeated myself. Lol. But I stand by what I said then and now. Practice beforehand!

flyfisher117

Lil-Rokslider
Contemplating hunting off my CRF230. Need to figure out lighting for it. Also need to learn to ride with a pack..