Motorcycle Hunting

Moserkr

WKR
She should be ready by hunting season. Groups been talking about hunting this one spot for years but access is difficult. Only a built crawler, atv, or bike can get you there, and then its a hike after that. We tried the crawler but it was slow, and some spots would even be hard/slow for an atv. Bikes should let us rip up there quick and safer vs anything else.

Attachments

• B1DAF811-1131-47FF-8E55-B75E0E0FA2EF.jpeg
    B1DAF811-1131-47FF-8E55-B75E0E0FA2EF.jpeg
    396.1 KB · Views: 111
  • F62E9401-4DDC-4B2D-892C-9472F52AAA94.jpeg
    F62E9401-4DDC-4B2D-892C-9472F52AAA94.jpeg
    448.8 KB · Views: 110
I Ran the tw200 for over 10 years. Most of the single track area's we hunt in North Idaho the ruts are so bad the little tw's just cant make it.

I upgraded to a husqvarna 300 last year - amazing bike, but the ol' low n slow tw200 really is a gem!
Curious, have you found a rack for your 300 or do you just pack the meat out on your back?

bow_dozer

Lil-Rokslider
I ride a 300 as well. Muddy single track with quarter(s) in the backpack... Western is the word that comes to mind!

That was an ignorant question....rephrase....what are motorcycle hunter's strategy for getting meat out. For instance...if you pack in a ways from your kill, do you get help from others who have 4wheelers or motorcycles? Meet you at your bike? Y'all pack meat out and split meat up on the bikes? Or if you are alone what is the strategy? Thanks

northernalpine

Lil-Rokslider
Used a Suzuki DRZ400 with soft saddle bags and a tail rack to bow hunt or early rifle for a few years. Saddle bags could hold a boned-out deer with no issues, tail bag + backpack for basic camping necessities. Very doable if you only want to make one trip to basecamp, but it makes for a pretty spartan hunt, not a lot of room for comfort items unless there's a few of you going or you make a few trips to bring up additional kit.

The newer 2T 300cc bikes would be pretty ideal for nimble singletrack routes, I preferred the mid-range 4T for lazy clutch work, and the DRZ specifically for aftermarket parts. Motos aren't quite pack animals, but you can make 2-3 trips back to the truck in short order and if you're anything like me, a smile on your face.

mac53

FNG
How do you carry your rifle in and out on a dirt bike?

I am going to buy a atv for hunting but am also considering a electric bike, have never considered a dirt bike.
For you guys that have went this route are you able to haul it in the bed of your truck with all your other gear or did you find that you still needed a trailer?

northernalpine

Lil-Rokslider
I have a trailer hitch setup that I haul a single bike around or can fit up to three with a ramp in the truck bed (full size), though it makes for a tight ride in the cab with some gear having to ride up front.

Picture attached isn't mine, but I had my DRZ (street legal/plated) setup about the same with a hard case to carry if riding on pavement. As soon as I hit my camp location I'd drop the hard case and use a regular backpack rig to ride the backcountry. As long as your not flying around at a hare scramble pace on the trails its pretty easy, main thing I learned to watch out for was low hanging branches catching the barrel.

Attachments

• bike gun.jpg
    bike gun.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 65

ID_Matt

WKR
That was an ignorant question....rephrase....what are motorcycle hunter's strategy for getting meat out. For instance...if you pack in a ways from your kill, do you get help from others who have 4wheelers or motorcycles? Meet you at your bike? Y'all pack meat out and split meat up on the bikes? Or if you are alone what is the strategy? Thanks
Shot an elk 2 weekends ago... 4 miles in on a bike and 1 mile off trail. Made multiple trips with meat on my back down to the trail where I hung it. Then I just made 4 different trips out on the dirt bike with the meat on my back. I am fairly experienced on a bike so can move pretty quick.

northernalpine

Lil-Rokslider
Shot an elk 2 weekends ago... 4 miles in on a bike and 1 mile off trail. Made multiple trips with meat on my back down to the trail where I hung it. Then I just made 4 different trips out on the dirt bike with the meat on my back. I am fairly experienced on a bike so can move pretty quick.
This. Make a extra few trips. I had pannier bags that could fit front or rear quarters from a deer. Never tried it with elk.

northernalpine

Lil-Rokslider
I think elk would be too much for panniers. I think the weight does better on your back where you can move it a bit better.
I think dual elk quarters hanging out panniers would a) be hilarious to see and b) would be one hell of a balancing act on top of giving the suspension a bonafide stress test :ROFLMAO:

ID_Matt

WKR
I think dual elk quarters hanging out panniers would a) be hilarious to see and b) would be one hell of a balancing act on top of giving the suspension a bonafide stress test :ROFLMAO:
Haha. It would be a sight to see! I did a rear quarter, loose meat, and my day hunting stuff earlier this year in one trip on the bike on my back. It was not a pleasant trip. Had to rebuild my front suspension last year and thinking the rear might need it at the end of this year.... don't know that my bike is meant for 350 pounds!

If you've never ridden a dirt bike on a single track mountain trail, let alone with a heavy backpack on or an animal on your back, then you are in for a serious world of hurt. Wear pads and always wear a helmet and good luck. Youll probably be more tired then just hiking, at least the first few years. Once you get it down it's great tho.