Motorcycle/quad?

aorams

Lil-Rokslider
Hey there forum.

Im considering some sort of motorized equipment to open up some hunting areas I’d like to explore. If I buy something it has to be simple, durable and fit in the bed of a Toyota Tundra (6.5’). There are some areas that I want to hunt where a network of OHV trails accesses miles of roadless areas, so the plan would be to drive whatever I get to the end of the trail and hike in from there. Anyone do anything like this and have any advice for someone getting started? I have zero experience with off road equipment like this but have ridden street motorcycles in a past life.

I'm not a quad guy nor a motorcycle guy, but I would think that operating a motorcycle in rough tereain, with a rifle or bow and a packframe or hunting daypack, wouldn't be the easiest thing to do.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Done it for years and yes it is dangerous especially riding in the dark on sketchy singletrack….pucker factor very high🤣…recommend lots of practice and bike that can toe tap with and geared low end to crawl if needed….quad easy but anyone can do it so lots more competition..

fmyth

WKR
That depends on what state and season. For ID archery and early rifle I'd lean towards a motorcycle like the Yamaha TW200 (fat tire). For CO,AZ, WY & MT and any hunts later than archery where snow may be present I'd choose an ATV. If you are accident prone perhaps a Honda Pioneer 500 UTV. Should still fit in the bed of your truck and be much safer if you hunt alone. I have 2 friends that are very experienced ATV riders have near death accidents riding atv's hunting/ranching.

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
^^ What he said. When contemplating the same thing, I was going down the route of a Yamaha TW200 with a trailer. My setup was for a narrow trail otherwise, I would go with a quad for the stability, power, and ability to carry more.

Have yet to actually use this for hunting but have seen them being used on occasion. With the duel range transmission and relatively lightweight the old Honda Trail 90 should work. They can be found for decent prices if you look around. Just got this one all dialed in and may bring it along on my elk hunt this year.

OP
A

aorams

Lil-Rokslider
Those smaller motorcycles seem like a cool idea! An ATV is also appealing because it seems like it would be a little more stable? That’s a question I guess😂

ID_Matt

WKR
I would do some research on the areas you plan to hunt. If they have a good amount of single track, then a dirt bike would be the best option as you can use it on 2-track and single. If the area is all 2-track then you'd be better off with a 4-wheeler - more comfortable and more storage. A few people recommended TW-200's. I am strongly against those for single track. They are heavy and bouncy. I went down the big wheel route and hated it. A Honda CRF-230/250 or Yamaha TTR 230 are about the perfect hunting bikes in my opinion.

Also need to be realistic on the areas you plan to take it. I have made the mistake twice of taking relatively new riders in to some more sketchy country and felt terrible. Some of the single track, at least in Idaho where I hunt is no joke. Need to know how to ride or you can find yourself looking off of a cliff real fast.

GARLICSALT

Lil-Rokslider
You will miss a lot of sh!t while riding a bike. You are way to busy watching the trail and just trying not to fall off. I have been there a done that. Sold the death trap and bought a SUZUKI KINGQUAD 450. Game changer I can hall a bunch of stuff like pack, stove. small cooler, rifle in rack bolted to the front rack.

Just trying to get my gun or bow and a pack any place was a task on the motorcycle.