Mount or Eat!?

crich

WKR
Every duck season I tell myself Im going to mount a bird or two. Inevitably, when the day comes and I kill a beautiful drake in full plumage I guilt trip myself into eating it. I cant bring myself to toss it in the freezer only to stick it on the wall. As much as I'd love to add a few birds to the wall in the house the thought of killing it only for a mount is overwhelming. Anyone else go through this before mounting a bird?

hobbes

WKR
No, but if it bothers you, take it straight to the taxidermist and ask them to skin it right then and there so you can keep the meat.

I've breasted them out and then still get a mount and it looked fine to me and they tasted even better than they looked

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

TxxAgg

WKR
You're "using" the bird for a purpose either way, so don't feel bad about killing it and not eating it. It's just one bird.

Laramie

WKR
I have felt the same. As others have mentioned, the taxidermist can save the meat. I have quite a few bird mounts. For the last several, I had to freeze them for a while before I could get them in to the taxidermist. I still had him save the meat. I used it to make my dog a great meal to reward him for all his hard work. That's better than tossing it in the garbage to me.

I hate to waste any game meat for any reason so I understand your emotions. I think more people should feel more obligated in that department.

Stalker69

WKR
There’s no reason you can’t do both, why do you think there is ? I have mounted many birds and still them.

Rob5589

WKR
When I first started duck hunting I shot a huge Canvasback drake. I ate him not knowing how tough they are to come by here and how nice he was. Still regret that one.

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
If it was legally taken, use the bird in the way you feel best about and have no guilt over it. Eating it, getting it mounted, or using it for dog training purposes are all appropriate use of the resource.

I do regret not saving a drake wigeon for the wall in my early years of waterfowling. I plucked a handful of feathers off his breast as I thought "wow, this guy is the best looking wigeon I've seen". I haven't shot one that looked that good in the 7 years since then!

I have felt the same. As others have mentioned, the taxidermist can save the meat. I have quite a few bird mounts. For the last several, I had to freeze them for a while before I could get them in to the taxidermist. I still had him save the meat. I used it to make my dog a great meal to reward him for all his hard work. That's better than tossing it in the garbage to me.

I hate to waste any game meat for any reason so I understand your emotions. I think more people should feel more obligated in that department.
Agreed on all your points! Watching the happy dog eat it for its reward would be the best part of it all!

Mount it, you won't regret it. yes we should make every effort to utilize all of our taken game but I make exceptions when it comes to a mount. I've killed a lot of pheasants over the years and finally mounted one this year. I get more questions/comments about the roosters looks, how I shot it, were I shot it, etc. etc. Not one how it tasted. you get to relive the hunt every time some one sees it.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitebeard