Mount vs euro...

jofes

WKR
Shot a caribou in Alaska and had an awesome trip I'll do a short write up on later. Trying to decide if I should do a full mount with how much space they take up, we live in a small, low ceiling home, do most of you guys just euro them instead? I do have the cape still. Anybody have some pics of how much space they take up? ThanksPXL_20220825_183221490.jpgPXL_20220825_183159073.jpgPXL_20220825_183843900.jpg

wyodan

WKR
As a fan of euro mounts for most animals, mount the caribou. They have such impressive coats!

TSAMP

WKR
Mount it. I euro'd mine out of necessity. I'd buy your cape if you decide not to..but u should mount that tank

buzzy

WKR
Congrats on a beautiful caribou. How many more animals do you plan to hunt and possibly put on your wall? I prefer euro but will do a shoulder with some. Euros don’t take up as much room and you save a lot of money. Your velvet is already ruined so they will have to put fake velvet on or strip it and make it look hard horned. To make it look hard horned it is a more labor intensive process so you may be looking at 400-500 or so just for a euro.

Hard to judge without something in your photos for perspective? Caribou can look big but may not be?

I have to admit most taxidermy is over priced and over rated. Only worth it if you have money to burn. I’d rather go on another hunt.

But it’s your money, your bou, your house so do as you please

i would go euro mount if it was me. I will put up a picture of my euro bou tonight. The one thing that would concern me is the back scratchers on yours. They look pretty long and might hit the wall if its a euro mount. We also only have 8 foot ceilings so you will have a good idea when i put up my picture of what it will look like. I tried to save the velvet on mine but it got destroyed on the ride out so he ended up having to stain the antlers which they still turned out really good. When the velvet comes off it will make the antlers looks alot more spindlier and sharper on the points.

if you havent started taking precautions on preserving the velvet it might be too late. from what i know you have to start drying out or neutralizing all the blood underneath the velvet. If its too late then you will either be getting fake velvet put on or they will stain/paint the rack.

Last edited:

smith3442

FNG
I am fan of Euro. I have a full body goat and 5 shoulder mounts of deer/elk and caribou. Not worth the money to me any more. Euro and go hunt some more.

That's an impressive beast. I love Euro mounts and figure I'll appreciate the wall space when I'm 80 years old and able to hang more memories on my wall, but something on this one is screaming shoulder mount to me. If that's your only Caribou hunt I think you shoulder mount it and make it a center piece. If you're going back on more hunts I think Euro is the ticket.

Laramie

WKR
I personally think you would regret doing the euro since he is in full velvet. The animal just won't look the same. Should mount with fake velvet and he will look just like when you saw him in the field.

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
I always go with a Euro after a bug infestation unless...I don't. Since the infestation, have shoulder mounted two animals and went with Euro on about 15. I still cape for a shoulder mount and trade out the cape for a discount on the Euro.

smith3442

FNG
I personally think you would regret doing the euro since he is in full velvet. The animal just won't look the same. Should mount with fake velvet and he will look just like when you saw him in the field.
I did fake velvet, it is good. The last bou I kept original velvet, so much better. And I think the euro looks awesome with velvet.

AKHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
That's a great looking bull - congrats! As to your question, my bull measures approximately 57 inches from the bottom of the brisket to top of the antler, 48 inches wide, and sticks out from the wall 48 inches. That's a 12 ft. ceiling and his brisket is about 6 ft. from the floor. For reference, he gross scored about 400 B&C.

front wall.jpg

Last edited:

Jrok

FNG
Shot a caribou in Alaska and had an awesome trip I'll do a short write up on later. Trying to decide if I should do a full mount with how much space they take up, we live in a small, low ceiling home, do most of you guys just euro them instead? I do have the cape still. Anybody have some pics of how much space they take up? ThanksView attachment 449315View attachment 449317View attachment 449318
I agree if this is a once in a lifetime thing for you then get it mounted.

8' ceiling. Top tines to the bottom shovel is 4'
68360d655f5670a9f5f4aa4cc16c2146.jpg
04eaf5654b5e5001a855a2f5979b936b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

jdmaxwell

WKR
Good Bull... Congratulations
I'm literally in same exact situation currently with my bull....
I kept my cape and preserved my velvet in field..
I believe most guys would mount the one I shot..
Decisions Decisions..