Mountain Ascent 280 AI or 300 WM

GKPrice

Banned
SINCE your preference mentions 300 Win Mag I'll vote for a Tikka T3x SL 300 Win Mag - I bought one 3 years ago that a friend talked me out of, bought another that I still have and my son bought one last fall that he killed a nice bull with - ALL 3 shoot the same loads and bullets just as well (which is better than I can shoot) and they all excel with H4831SC and 200 Accubonds (avg 1/2" @ 220 yds, 4 shots) no "touching the lands" necessary and the velocity (which I can't remember right now) is in the 2850 area - not much heavier, if any, than other LW 300's, less expensive, reliable, accurate and plenty of aftermarket stuff if a person needs that - (btw, all 3 also shoot 180 AB and 150 Etips just about as well, again with the same loads - THAT's not very common at all)

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I have a Kimber Montana in 300wsm and it's been my go to rifle for the past 11 years or so. I've killed multiple deer, moose, goat, sheep and a brown bear with it. With the few modifications that I've done, I've been able to get the wt. down to 6.1 lbs. w/scope. I could shave more wt. if I wanted to spend the $$ but I've decided not to. I did just purchase a MA chambered in 300wm two days ago but I won't receive it until Tues. or Wed. so more on that to come. On a side note, I also have a Montana chambered in .280AI and it is definitely a sweet shooter. Last fall was my 1st time hunting with that rifle and so far I've only taken a single goat with it, killed it just like the .300wsm, although I would rather carry the .300 if pursuing BB's.

Def would like to see the mod list on this as well to get the weight from 6 pounds 3 oz without a scope to 6.1 pounds with a scope impressive indeed! My 4 pound 14 oz -06 based Montana is still 6.2 pounds scoped so very impressive you got to 6.1 scoped on the WSM platform.

I would either split the difference and get the plain old 30-06 in a Kimber or a 300 WM in a Tikka.

204guy

WKR
SINCE your preference mentions 300 Win Mag I'll vote for a Tikka T3x SL 300 Win Mag - I bought one 3 years ago that a friend talked me out of, bought another that I still have and my son bought one last fall that he killed a nice bull with - ALL 3 shoot the same loads and bullets just as well (which is better than I can shoot) and they all excel with H4831SC and 200 Accubonds (avg 1/2" @ 220 yds, 4 shots) no "touching the lands" necessary and the velocity (which I can't remember right now) is in the 2850 area - not much heavier, if any, than other LW 300's, less expensive, reliable, accurate and plenty of aftermarket stuff if a person needs that - (btw, all 3 also shoot 180 AB and 150 Etips just about as well, again with the same loads - THAT's not very common at all)

Just so I understand. You're privy to not 1, not 2, but 3 sub 1/4 moa stock Tikka 300 win mags. Ballistic gack on this forum is never not funny.

To the OP. When you start talking rifles in the weight class of MA's you really need to start thinking of recoil. Muzzle breaks are popular on this forum, personally I want nothing to do with a break on a hunting rifle. Without a break a 7.5lb 300 is going to be pretty brutal. If you handload 280AI is a good choice. I'd happily take a 280 AI on a BB hunt as long as it was loaded with good bullets. If you don't handload as has been mentioned a 30-06 or even 270 makes more sense. I'd also happily take a 270 loaded with 150 partitions on a BB hunt. Moose are really a non issue as they aren't all that hard to kill.

Oops, my bad, I stated the weight of my .280AI. My Montana .300WSM weighs 6.25 lbs. Aluminum trigger guard, titanium bolt handle, cut the barrel down to 18", Talley lightweight mounts/rings, and Leupold VX2 3-9x33 UL scope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I want a lightweight rifle, I think I want a Kimber mountain ascent or really a Subalpine. I plan to use it for whitetail, elk, and hopefully in the not to distant future moose and hopefully brown bear.

I would prefer a custom like Cooper or one a local guy could build me, but I think a Kimber would be work.

I thought I wanted a 280 AI, but if I was to get 1 gun to do anything I know a 300 WM would work.

Question I have is, is the Kimber solid enough for 300 WM. I've looked at them in 6.5 and 257 and they are definitely trimmed down, which I like but worry about a 300 WM being a little too much for that lightweight action.

I know for 90% of the type of hunting I'll do a 280 is great, but I would really like to get 1 gun and stick with it.

Does anyone have a Kimber in 300 WM and how do You feel about it?

I went through a similar situation. I settled on a MA but was really kicking around 280AI or 300WM.
I ended up going with 7mm mag. I reload everything and have never purchased retail ammo in my adult life.
BUT...if something happened on a hunt...ammo being lost at airport, forgetting ammo, etc.
Then I wanted to be able to walk into any hardware store and purchase factory ammo...hard to do with 280AI.
I know the 8400 action is heavier than the 84L by a few ouces 6? if I remember correctly.
But this answers your question...it is solid enough for magnum calibers.
I am happy with mine and it shoots great. Less recoil than I expected. Overall great rifle.

OP
alexanderg23
Yeah I won't do a brake on a hunting rifle. I'm small but not really recoil sensitive. I had a Browning x-bolt 300 WSM and the recoil was fine. I know MA is lighter, but think I'll be fine.

Just so I understand. You're privy to not 1, not 2, but 3 sub 1/4 moa stock Tikka 300 win mags. Ballistic gack on this forum is never not funny.

To the OP. When you start talking rifles in the weight class of MA's you really need to start thinking of recoil. Muzzle breaks are popular on this forum, personally I want nothing to do with a break on a hunting rifle. Without a break a 7.5lb 300 is going to be pretty brutal. If you handload 280AI is a good choice. I'd happily take a 280 AI on a BB hunt as long as it was loaded with good bullets. If you don't handload as has been mentioned a 30-06 or even 270 makes more sense. I'd also happily take a 270 loaded with 150 partitions on a BB hunt. Moose are really a non issue as they aren't all that hard to kill.

GKPrice

Banned

whatever ...... 4 guys less than 50 miles from you do the very same with SL 7mm Rem Mag / 162 SST's but I guess they're just "gacking" too

204guy

WKR
We're up to 7 Tikka SL magnums that are sub 1/4 moa. How will a custom rifle maker ever sell a gun again?:rolleyes:

To the OP, saw on another post you ordered a 300wsm. Let us know what you think of it.

OP
alexanderg23
Will do. Sounds like it will be about a 3 month wait...

We're up to 7 Tikka SL magnums that are sub 1/4 moa. How will a custom rifle maker ever sell a gun again?:rolleyes:

To the OP, saw on another post you ordered a 300wsm. Let us know what you think of it.