Mountain bike or Ebike

I just recently moved to Washington and my mountain bike was totaled by the moving company. As a result, I have a nice chunk of reimbursement cash burning a hole in my pocket. I've been stuck on whether to just get a new mountain bike, and ebike, or a mountain bike and then add on an electric motor. Id like to hear some opinions, bonus points if you hunt in WA and are familiar with all the land rules out here.

Pros & Cons
1. Mountain bike
Pros:

Cheaper
Can take on all trails
Can add an ebike motor later if I want

Cons:
No ebike benefit of going faster and farther with load hauling unless I add an electric motor
Even if I put on a motor afterwards will most likely not have fat tires that dedicated ebikes have

2. Ebike
Pros

Dedicated Ebike with all bells and whistles and fat tires for more stability

Cons
Cant use on all trails
Expensive
Cant take off motor if I just want to recreationally mountain bike.

brsnow

WKR
A decent mountain bike is typically more expensive than an e-bike.

OP
Y
Id probably spend around $2k-$2500 for a mountainbike by getting a used one.

KHNC

WKR
I love my Ebike. I rarely ride my mtn bike any more. Just dont get excited about it all. It is a training mechanism for me and im not motivated for the bike these days. However, the ebike is nice. I like the fat tires especially. Still can get the same workout since its heavier and i can just turn down the boost.

OP
Y
I think the biggest issue I see in Washington I can't use the ebike on all trails. If I could, I would just get the ebike. But I think I may end up in a lot of situations where I will need a regular Mountain Bike...

If I do a kit, how hard is it to take the motor off and on?

I went the kit to existing mountain bike route. Luckily I have another non modded bike to use in those situations. First off the motor isnt something you are going to want to remove repeatedly. Second, the fat tires arent necessarily a positive in my book. If you are riding around town for example and need to go into a store, those fat tires scream $$$$$!!! Third, a kit bike will weigh prob half. Mine weighs 42lbs all in.
Just some factors to consider, best of luck in your decision.

JohnB

WKR
How do you envision using the mountain bike. If you're looking to ride it for fun/fitness rather than just for hunting I'd say skip the E-bike and stick with a standard mountain bike. The components that are available on a 2K dollar mountain bike would likely be a lot nicer than a similar priced e-bike.

As you mentioned the trail access is a LOT better for a standard bike than an e-bike. I'm in Winthrop, if you've got some specific questions to this area feel free to shoot me a PM.

Looks like you want to use it on trails, so that leaves you with two options:

1. Mountain bike, either with a motor or without one

2. Buy both a mountain bike and an ebike.

I'm guessing you don't want to do 2, so that leaves you with getting a mountain bike. Good luck on your motor decision :).

boom

WKR
depends. are you shaped more like Lance Armstrong, or Lance Bass? :)

i am not at the point of an E-Bike yets. i still enjoy grinding and wheezing up a big hill. i am crestfallen when a "lance bass" passes me on the outside of an uphill climbing corner tho. BOO!

OP
Y
How do you envision using the mountain bike. If you're looking to ride it for fun/fitness rather than just for hunting I'd say skip the E-bike and stick with a standard mountain bike. The components that are available on a 2K dollar mountain bike would likely be a lot nicer than a similar priced e-bike.

As you mentioned the trail access is a LOT better for a standard bike than an e-bike. I'm in Winthrop, if you've got some specific questions to this area feel free to shoot me a PM.

I've only been here a few weeks so I don't know the rules for trails outside of the national forest lands. I know there is logging company owned stuff, some state lands, BLM etc. but don't know the rules they have.

I don't think I can message you yet until my post count is up or I cant figure out how.

danarnold

WKR
I went the kit to existing mountain bike route. Luckily I have another non modded bike to use in those situations. First off the motor isnt something you are going to want to remove repeatedly. Second, the fat tires arent necessarily a positive in my book. If you are riding around town for example and need to go into a store, those fat tires scream $$$$$!!! Third, a kit bike will weigh prob half. Mine weighs 42lbs all in.
Just some factors to consider, best of luck in your decision.
what kit did you use? would you use it again

OP
Y
Another thought as Im going through this....if I can only use an ebike on motorized areas and they are expensive, why not just get a used TW200 dirt bike?

Another thought as Im going through this....if I can only use an ebike on motorized areas and they are expensive, why not just get a used TW200 dirt bike?
I have both😁 Different uses. For example i prowl the forest roads silently for turkeys. Actually got a nice tom that i would have spooked had i been on my dirtbike or quad. I always stop before turns and call. This time it paid off again. Birds were strutting in the road on the other side. Called them in and made meat!
Dan: I used the Bafang (?sp). About to build another one for my girlfriend. Good stuff especially if you have a discount code for ebay at the time. I went 750w and it's fine.

OP
Y
I think I would use it more for getting in deeper than I can with my truck, and not taking my truck in some of the sketchier areas I have been. Hopefully shortening my packout a bit as well.

cnelk

WKR
Something to consider is the rules for ebikes are changing every year due to popularity. Just because you may not be able to use an ebike now on some trails, that may not be the case in the future.

I recently bought an ebike and love it.

brsnow

WKR
Something to consider is the rules for ebikes are changing every year due to popularity. Just because you may not be able to use an ebike now on some trails, that may not be the case in the future.

I recently bought an ebike and love it.

with recent impact of recreation on elk herds and funded organized opposition, I think the tide had turned.