Mountain bike or Ebike

brsnow

WKR

Rob5589

WKR
I have both😁 Different uses. For example i prowl the forest roads silently for turkeys. Actually got a nice tom that i would have spooked had i been on my dirtbike or quad. I always stop before turns and call. This time it paid off again. Birds were strutting in the road on the other side. Called them in and made meat!
Dan: I used the Bafang (?sp). About to build another one for my girlfriend. Good stuff especially if you have a discount code for ebay at the time. I went 750w and it's fine.
Did you convert your bike to e-assist?

Yeah an ebike is just alot better tool IMO. I have a Cannondale Cujo Neo and its a killer bike. For training I just turn the battery off and pedal it like a regular mtn bike. Once I've had a good work out, am tired and need to get back home I turn it on turbo mode and cruise on back. Good times! :)

Beendare

WKR
I wouldn't go the kit route....I would go E bike in a second.

Mid drive not rear wheel sprocket drive

I was hiking a local Mtn [3600', 5 hours] with my neighbor and near the top we had this group of 70 yr old guys come riding up on E bikes. They explained; The E bikes gave them more range with the same workout- more enjoyment.

I've Mtn Biked into remote lakes to fish...its great but I didn't have to worry about sweating through my clothes multiple times. On a hunt, that makes it tough....though I suppose I do it hiking in to spots hunting so not much difference.....

_______

OP
Y
Wow that Santa Fe is pricey, I really don't understand how these mountainbikes cost more than dirt bikes, there's a lot more going on, parts etc. in a dirt bike. I feel like the company margins on these things must be absurd.

brsnow

WKR
Wow that Santa Fe is pricey, I really don't understand how these mountainbikes cost more than dirt bikes, there's a lot more going on, parts etc. in a dirt bike. I feel like the company margins on these things must be absurd.

I would guess a top of the line dirt bike would be pretty pricey. High-end mountain bikes have a ton of technology. Strength to weight, geometry for climbing while still nimble but steady on downhills and drops. They also hold up ride after ride. Light, high quality is expensive.

Yes there is definitely a high margin, but making strong /reliable parts ultralight is a lot harder and more expensive than making strong parts that are heavy.

+1 for e-bikes being allowed on more trails in 5 years. It is pretty much inevitable and may happen sooner than later.

OP
Y
I would guess a top of the line dirt bike would be pretty pricey. High-end mountain bikes have a ton of technology. Strength to weight, geometry for climbing while still nimble but steady on downhills and drops. They also hold up ride after ride. Light, high quality is expensive.

I dont think that is apples to apples. I would need a high end mountainbike to do what I want, however, I wouldn't need a high end dirt bike.