Mountain Bike recommendation

tdot

WKR
I'm in the same position as OP and found a used Marin FRS full suspension that looks to be about a decade old. Guy wants $495 for it.

Good deal for a first "real" bike?

Post a picture of it. I don't recall Marin making an FRS since the 90's.

Make/model/colour of the fork or shock (assuming they're stock) may also help to date the frame.

Rodéo

WKR
Post a picture of it. I don't recall Marin making an FRS since the 90's.

Make/model/colour of the fork or shock (assuming they're stock) may also help to date the frame.
Here's a picture. Would be great if you could give me some help regarding value since I have no idea on valuations when it comes to bicycles..

My "decade or so old" guess was just a guess off some googling I did after seeing the ad. Could be way off and that would be good to know.

The ad also says it has a new fox rear suspension so throw that into the valuation as well.

Thanks!

1598912522229.png

Here's a picture. Would be great if you could give me some help regarding value since I have no idea on valuations when it comes to bicycles..

My "decade or so old" guess was just a guess off some googling I did after seeing the ad. Could be way off and that would be good to know.

The ad also says it has a new fox rear suspension so throw that into the valuation as well.

Thanks!

View attachment 211807
I have no idea how to value that bike. It’s quite a blast from the past! It’s more like 25 years old. Unless you just it for retro reasons like you would a classic car, I wouldn’t touch it

The small tires, rim brakes and steep head tube angle will make descents pretty scary. Finding parts won’t be easy either.

I would look for something like an REI DRT if you don’t want to spend much on a new bike. It’s not much more than what that guy is asking

Last edited:

Rodéo

WKR
I have no idea how to value that bike. It’s quite a blast from the past! It’s more like 25 years old. Unless you just it for retro reasons like you would a classic car, I wouldn’t touch it

The small tires, rim brakes and steep head tube angle will make descents pretty scary. Finding parts won’t be easy either.

I would look for something like an REI DRT if you don’t want to spend much on a new bike. It’s not much more than what that guy is asking
Much appreciated.

tdot

WKR

Thanks!

View attachment 211807

That bike is from the turn of the century. Not yet a collector's piece, not worth buying to ride trails. Its a $100 grocery getter.

Used bike with aluminum frame, front shocks, disk brakes is all most need for 90% of riding. No fat tires or full suspension. Start combing through Craigslist or Marketplace

Phaseolus

WKR

I had one of those in the late 90’s, for it’s time it was just ok. It would be a very poor choice for today and especially for $495.