Mountain Bike Training Thread

Vids

WKR
Rode 20 miles on Saturday, on concrete trails though since everything on the CO front range is muddy right now.

Brendan

WKR
New Bike for me this week. Been selling and saving for a while now. Of course all the local trails have been ice covered with snow, hopefully out later this week or weekend.

Biking is going to be a lot bigger part of my training this year. Have a 100 mile road ride in May I need to prep for, and then may enter a 100k mtb race in June. TBD...
3c4a67fe8f7105a54b3de8562f6a6186.jpg

Trails too wet here, so got 22 on the road Sunday(on the road bike). A buddy talked me into riding the Mt. Washington road hill climb in August, so time to get training and dropping weight.

It has been really wet here in OK this winter so riding on the trails has been scarce.

Did get a quick short ride in at South Mountain in Phoenix in December when we were there for a baseball tourney.Heckler-az.jpgsouth mountain2.jpg

Have hiked it and skied it, not sure I'm interested in biking it though!
He has done it twice. Going to throw an 11-42 cassette and long cage derailleur on the road bike and give it a go. We have a short hill by my house here in Tulsa that is .4 miles and a 10% grade. I did it twice and am questioning my sanity. Mt Washington averages 12% with stretches of 18% and finishes with like a 22% grade for the last 50 or 100 yards.

Think we are going to meet up and do Trail Ridge Road in RMNP in July as a warmup. My aunt lives in Loveland and it's a reasonably short trip for me...12 hours each way. It's close to 5k feet of climbing but in 12.5 miles or so. He wants to do Mauna Kea in Hi which is like 45 miles and 14k feet of climb...no thanks.

OP
A
Friend of mine has had my fly tying vise and tools since I we turned the spare bedroom into a baby room. Found out he had spent a pretty penny on a road bike setup several years back bc he was dating a gal that rode. Well that bike had about 20 miles on it and has sat ever since. I asked him about borrowing it recently and he gave me the bike and the clipless shoes. Kinda can’t wait to try it out and see how large of tires it will clear for gravel rides. It’s a 2014 Trek 1.1 for reference, carbon fork.

OP
A
Update on gravel/road bike

It clears 30c knobbys fine and I’ve put about 29 miles on them so far. Totally different workout on that style bike. I enjoy it from a speed and longevity standpoint but I’m ready to get back in the woods.

ScottinPA

WKR
Looking at buying a new mtn bike. Gave my old one to my son.
Like the Fuji Nevada 1.7 or 1.5, Trek Marlin 7, Giant Talon & Roam , and Diamondback Hook. Any thoughts on these?

OP
A
I wanted to add to this thread that my current frame, a 2010 Specialized Epic Marathon, is known to have clearance for 27.5 Tires. Armed with this knowledge, i scoured CL and FB marketplace to find a set of take-off wheels. Ended up moving on a set of hoops and spent the last week changing out rotors/cassette and finding suitable fitting tires and getting them set tubeless. First ride on them yesterday and man what a difference from 26. They are so much faster, climb like crazy and roll over stuff much easier. I know my BB is a touch higher now and i feel it to a degree but im not racing so if im a tad slower and less nimble in switchbacks then i can deal with it.

Brendan

WKR
Get out a couple times, but now I'm waiting for another 14" of snow to melt and the trails to dry out. Have a 100 mile ride on the road bike in early may I need to get ready for.

97202130b2c7548ddd603f92bdc03e5e.jpg
64cbe8bc7c2de9fc29f448d53ba2f45e.jpg

Split toe

WKR
I just broke down and bought a 2019 Stumpjumper ST Comp with 29s on it. Hoping it helps me get into shape for backpacking in the SW Colorado mountains.

lak2004

WKR
Finally a thread I can relate to in the fitness realm! I love mountain biking and my first ride last week just about killed me. Rode 8.9 miles with 890 ft elevation gain on loose sand. Had to get off and walk a few times when I thought my lungs were going to explode. This was my first winter running a desk and it made me really lazy, so I can't wait to get back on and stay losing weight and gaining lung capacity. My noble steed is a 2018 specialized enduro 27.5.
It soaks up everything and I love the reward of a good descent!

526e84ac9f53eabfb2114b7619dfd4e8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

OP
A
I just upgraded brakes and fork today. Tested it out briefly and was very happy. Ready to try a long ride in the mountains tomorrow if work allows.

Lawnboi

WKR
Still 15 inches of snow in the woods around me. Waiting patiently.

Got a new rear wheel built up, along with some new schwalbe rubber to try.

Going to do some dropper post shopping soon.

Some really nice bikes. I miss my full sus. I’m committed to dealing with my hard tail I built for one more year then going back to a full suspension.

Last edited: