Mountain Bike Training Thread

lak2004

WKR
Nice! I've been trying to sell/trade my enduro for a xc so I can climb a bit easier. Getting too old and slow to ride the down hill fast enough to justify it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

OP
A
In the market for a dropper myself. Never had one. Local bike shop only stocks pretty premium droppers @ around $275 and up. He says almost all the cheap ones break and don’t consistently last. I guess they are probably heavy also.

lak2004

WKR
In the market for a dropper myself. Never had one. Local bike shop only stocks pretty premium droppers @ around $275 and up. He says almost all the cheap ones break and don’t consistently last. I guess they are probably heavy also.
Don't go cheap, it will just piss you off.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
If you can find one that works reliably and it’s lasts 2 seasons, it’s worth the money whether it costs $100 or $400. It’s a complete game changer.

Poser

WKR
Did some punchy-ass desert riding this weekend out near the CO/UT border. With no heat acclimation yet this year, the heat was rough. I also ran out of water and got delayed with a leaky tire that didn’t want to seal after a puncture. I sessioned any of the uphill and downhill features that I didn’t get Clean the first time. The downhill stuff was fine, but the punchy nature of the blocky, uphill features in the desert is not my forte and there were a couple of features that I couldn’t clear clean despite several attempts.

390c8488a316a80b28eb75bb246f773e.jpg

dbd1c7f697c77c455c129e53543dacae.jpg

775977b60833bbd2d2bced590949606a.jpg

TannerP

FNG
I just picked up a PNW for my ibis based on talking to the guys at our local shop. Came pretty highly reviewed from them.

Just picked up a new mountain bike pretty excited to upgrade and start training for the upcoming season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
Rode 3 days this week:

Tue: 12 miles, 864 feet climbing
Thur: 21 miles, 2500 feet climbing
Sat: 12 miles, 1848 feet climbing

First week of the season that had a strong dose of climbing and definitely feeling some fatigue. Rocked some fairly serious downhilling in there, too. Still a long way from alpine shape.

Lawnboi

WKR
Things are getting better and Iv been getting out a few times a week. Skeeters are in full force, can’t stop or go too slow.

Rode some old rocky, rooty trails that I grew up on. Found out I can’t do what I used to be able to on my full sus, even though I’m stronger physically. Really missing rear suspension now and am about ready for a new (another) bike. I think I’ll keep the hard tail in rotation.

I did just slap on a hans Dampf on the front of my bike. Holy grip. Arguably a bit much for my area, but I can’t afford a bad fall.

I give you credit for riding that desert stuff on a hard tail. The wife and I will be going through Moab at the end of the month and it’s going to be hard for me not to be able to bike it. That said I probably wouldn’t be walking for a few days after taking my hardtail down the whole enchilada.

OP
A
Time for everyone’s updates.

Got a new wheelset and fork for the full suspension. Not top of the line but stiff and lighter and running XC tires do not much roll resistance. I feel faster but my conditioning sucks still from a ****** up July. Mainly been on this bike.

Been doing some easy gravel stuff on a borrowed road bike with cross tires...piece of shit bike and horrible ride on gravel. Started shopping for a dedicated gravel rig and was about to pull the trigger on a 2015 Raleigh Willard when I found a 2018 Carbon Salsa Warbird Apex on CL for way too cheap. Bike was mint, guy was too busy to ride and was moving to California. I ******* love this bike. I understand the draw to carbon frames and why the gravel geometry works. No more excessively numb hands and wrists. I still get fatigue in my hands but that’s because they are holding my fat ass in place. Ready for some long rides on forest roads now.

DD6A8519-2CF7-4780-834B-23DA0E78A4FE.jpegE66D45FB-97D6-4886-80B6-B0386DCD1A19.jpegCDDC9C35-0492-46AF-81ED-A034F85D86A7.jpeg

I competed in the 2017 BC Bike race as I have lovely friends that talk me into doing crazy things. Essentially haven’t ridden but maybe five times since then and now. Well, they talked me into doing it again in 2020. Time to start hitting the dirt. Just got her all tuned up, and threw on the new Sram AXS drivetrain. Intense training will begin after my moose hunt in October. IMO, cycling/Mtn biking is dang near the best training one can do for backpacking/hunting fitness. It’s excellent for your core, legs, heart and lungs. Only thing you may need to add into your workouts is some upper body weight lifting to balance it all out. I love cycling, it’s just so hot where I live & inconvenient that it doesn’t happen as much as I want it to. No turning back now.

Poser

WKR
I did about 200 miles of the Co Trail recently from Creede to Durango. Ended up nuking my rear wheel, destroying the hub, derailer and brake disc as well. Bike is in the shop for a $750 repair -probably just going to call it a season at this point, but it was a good one. I got 11 straight weekends of high country riding in this season. Planning on Thru biking the entire Co Trail next season

40422b614f4c8eecb8fc02fda1a1cc55.jpg